Citadel of the Corruptor Session Report *SPOILERS*

For discussion of DCC modules published for D&D 4E.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

Burchard
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Citadel of the Corruptor Session Report *SPOILERS*

Post by Burchard »

*** SPOILERS ***

I run three different 4E groups. The main group is currently starting on the Paragon path and I was looking for a good DCC to insert into our existing campaign. I had planned on having the party journey to the frozen north to combat a barbarian tribe and with very little tweaking I was able to drop Citadel of the Corruptor right into the mix. I bumped up the danger a bit and changed the boss to an evil priest from a cult the party will, eventually, destroy. This cult has plagued them from level one and is getting stronger and stronger. Now they are trying to enlist the help of the barbarians and here we go. Note: All dwarves were replaced with barbarians and Lord Ablair is now a high priest of the aforementioned cult. The mindfilth was a perfect fit. Ok, so we're off!

The lower bailey encounter was intense! Truth be told, I bought this DCC just for this encounter. I really hammed it up when the deep "Groooooot!" boomed through the bailey as the totem beast appeared. The party was hard pressed, but never in extreme danger. But it served the purpose of exhausting nearly all their daily powers and forcing them to seek refuge from the weather in the upper bailey. The wizard had the forethought to cast sleep on some of the Orc Blooded to interrogate after the battle. The prisoner told them the story of the Groot tribe finding the fort unguarded and ripe for the plucking. The paladin insisted they let the orcs live, but forced them to flee the fort, even in the face of the coming storm. Eh, I guess that's what a good guy would do. Sounds like out of the frying pan and into the fire, but he at least gave them a fighting chance. They entered the upper bailey and made quick work of the dire wolves and orc handlers. They discovered the bison had been poisoned and the Paladin began to suspect that something was seriously amiss and that the orcs had told the truth. Maybe something else was behind the tragedy at Fortification XXXI! They explored the workshops and the paladin suspected the circlets were missing gemstones. I suspect they'll return if they find the rubies. Lastly, they climbed up the main tower and saw the corpses piled up. The paladin was repulsed by the infanticide and vowed to cleanse this place just as the Wraiths appeared. I figured this would be an excellent cliffhanger until the next session, so we ended here, much to the displeasure of the party. So far, this has been a lot of fun and the players are really getting into the mystery. I think this adventure has a great deal of promise! Next session we'll finish exploring the fort and head towards the camp...
Author: Soloquest series of adventures by Kenzer & Co.
Need a new gaming song? Check out Fourth Level Fighter. Lyrics/bass by me. Vocals/guitars/drums by my buddy, Aaron. Download it and spread the word!
Burchard
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Re: Citadel of the Corruptor Session Report *SPOILERS*

Post by Burchard »

Session 2 was tonight.

The battle with the grief wraiths was exciting. The wraiths really made things difficult and the paladin eventually persuaded the rest of the party to focus on the wraiths. In doing so, they were able to avoid having to slug it out with a few of the knights. I found a discrepancy that wasn't major, but the flavor text makes it seem like there are 2 grief wraith, Lady Ree and the lady-in-waiting. The stat blocks lists 4 wraiths. I ran it with 2 wraiths instead of the suggested 4. They also had a rough time with Naal, but ultimately they prevailed once the wizard decimated the Orc Blooded with area spells.
The party finished reconnoitering Fort Frostbite, finding Fuyuks and saving Palmo. They decided, based on Palmo's will, that they would go after the "merchants" and their prisoners. Thus ended session 2! I think we'll wrap this up in one more session.

Thus far, this has been a great adventure!
Author: Soloquest series of adventures by Kenzer & Co.
Need a new gaming song? Check out Fourth Level Fighter. Lyrics/bass by me. Vocals/guitars/drums by my buddy, Aaron. Download it and spread the word!

Return to “DCC Modules - 4E”