Sellsword's Map

For discussion of DCC modules published for D&D 4E.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

dimonic
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Burdin's Comics

Sellsword's Map

Post by dimonic »

We picked up Sellswords at D&DXP, and my wife started prepping it for our campaign on the weekend. The first issue she ran into was at least one room where there were way too may monsters for the room (she says a large Ottyugh and 8 small larvae - in a room with about 5 open squares, 3 of which seemed to be a pit.

I suspect this is due to an increase in the number of beasties between 3.5 and 4?

Also - the neat rooftops on line pdf has a far too small "cuppola" for the round tower, and it would have been far less wasteful on Ink to use an extra page of pdf with extra B's and C's (so I wouldn't have to re-print the same page 4 times and throw away the extra A's E's and F's.

Thanks for an excellent adventure otherwise. My wife is attempting to add her own skill-challenges to the adventure. It seems they are never included in GG products? I do think a well designed skill challenge adds to the adventure and makes better use of the excellent 4e skill mechanics.
Aloysius Penderghast, L, Herbalist, S15, A9, Sm9, P14, I15, L9, AC10, HP4, Club +1 1d4+1, Init 0, R 0, F 0, W 1, 1d Rations, Herbs, flint & steel, 10 ft pole, 2 torches, large sack, Com +1

"Slim Jim" Finlayson, N, Outlaw, S10, A16, Sm11, P10, I8, L11, AC 14, HP 4, Short sword +0 1d6, Init 2, R 2, F 0, W, 0, Iron spike, Leather armor, torch, small sack, 1d rations, Resisted temptation (Willpower saving throws), Com

Shanaseriel Tremientalo, C, Elven navigator, S5, A10, Sm15, P14, I10, L9, AC 10, HP 5, Shortbow +0 (1d6), Init 0, R 0, F 1, W 1, Flask, Spyglass, 1d rations, Charmed house (Armor Class), Com Elven, Heightened senses, iron vulnerability, Infravision

Slobo Underhill, N, Halfling vagrant, S11, A17, Sm13, P16, I11, L14, AC 12, HP 4, Club +0 (1d4), Init 2, R 3, F 1, W 2, Chain 10', Begging bowl, Struck by lightning (Reflex saving throws) (+1), Com Halfling, Infravision
Syffin
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Re: Sellsword's Map

Post by Syffin »

There are skill challenges in later modules, I know there are in Thrones of Punjar and I think there are some in Scions of Punjar.
Renshai
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Renshai »

This is one Skill Challenge I used in Sellswords:

Maneuvering Through Smoke
Level 1 Skill Challenge
Complexity: 2 (6 Successes Before 3 Failures)
XP Reward: 200

From the time that the PCs enter Smoke they are being watched by the Dog Brotherhood, who is on high alert since the Umbral Fog descended. They have been ordered to keep any armed group from approaching the Beggar-King's lair.

The PCs are attempting to keep a low profile and move through the Smoke Quarter of Punjar.

Athletics DC: 15
Diplomacy DC: 20
Intimidate DC: 15
Stealth DC: 15
Streetwise DC: 10
Bluff DC: 15
Insight DC: 15

Success: If the PC's succeed in maneuvering through Smoke, they arrive at the Beggar King's Gate with no trouble, having successfully kept a low profile and throwing off pursuit.

Failure: The Dog Brotherhood catches up to the PCs. The PCs can choose to stand and fight, or run from the Brotherhood. The PCs encounter two Dog Brotherhood members and four of their beggar minions.

Pursuit: If the PCs decide to run, use the following rules for pursuit. Each PC makes an Athletics, Stealth or Streetwise check using the DCs listed above. If the majority of the PCs succeed, they escape. Otherwise the PCs are cornered and must fight their pursuers.
Life is cruel, in the tarnished jewel...
--Old Thom, Smoke, Punjar
Belares
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Belares »

dimonic wrote:We picked up Sellswords at D&DXP, and my wife started prepping it for our campaign on the weekend. The first issue she ran into was at least one room where there were way too may monsters for the room (she says a large Ottyugh and 8 small larvae - in a room with about 5 open squares, 3 of which seemed to be a pit.

I suspect this is due to an increase in the number of beasties between 3.5 and 4?

Thanks for an excellent adventure otherwise. My wife is attempting to add her own skill-challenges to the adventure. It seems they are never included in GG products? I do think a well designed skill challenge adds to the adventure and makes better use of the excellent 4e skill mechanics.
I agree the areas are really small with more than 4 people in the group. We had 4 players and 1 of them is a goliath so you can understand the size problems, haha. The beggar's bazaar was a tough encounter for them as they had to fight the Baazar's owner and the Otyugh and then the Dogs heard them from above so they joined in. A really tough encounter but the players managed it. I didnt use too many difficult terrain places in all the rooms but i should have as it seems most rooms had stuffloads of crap in it. The hardest one i ran last night was the skiff in the lower area. Large (medium sized though) figured creatues and all my group fighting for a square to stand in! LOL It was fun though.
Belares
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Belares »

Renshai, I used that skill challenge in my game and it worked perfectly! With only 4 players I was a bit worried but they all had some really good rolls and different skills they used. Kudos!

Return to “DCC Modules - 4E”