Punjar: For all of us that missed Free RPG Day!

For discussion of DCC modules published for D&D 4E.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

Save Vs. Death Ray
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Punjar: For all of us that missed Free RPG Day!

Post by Save Vs. Death Ray »

Whoa! The Punjar setting PDF is up for grabs a Paizo. Wonder if it is up at RPGnow and the others?

http://paizo.com/store/downloads/goodma ... source=new
AstroCat
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Re: Punjar: For all of us that missed Free RPG Day!

Post by AstroCat »

Do you still get a free copy of the .pdf if you sent in the Sellswords registration card and if so when?
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

I got impatient and bought it, despite filling out the card. :P
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

Yes, yes, and yes... the reply card gives the time frame for "when": "Please allow 6-8 weeks."
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
insanodag
Gongfarmer

Post by insanodag »

Meh. Not impressed. I bought the pdf version of Sellswords, assuming that Goodman Games would follow suit with other companies such as Green Ronin and make Punjar available online for free.
Save Vs. Death Ray
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Welcome, Isanodag!

Arguably they did one better... the print version was free. I know there must be gaming stores still out there giving these away.
insanodag
Gongfarmer

Post by insanodag »

I guess the main reason it irks me slightly is because I was actually very impressed with Sellswords. A very good stab at mingling old-school dungeon crawls with 4e sensibilities.
Save Vs. Death Ray
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

You have a point there. It's a shame not to bring Punjar to the masses. I'm hoping for a longer treatment at some point, since the Free RPG Day book just kind of sketches the outlines but isn't long enough to dive in further.
AstroCat
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by AstroCat »

I am trying to base a campaign using the Punjar modules as well as the Free RPG Day Gazetteer, I would love to have a much more detailed version of the current gazetteer as well as more 4E related info for the area.
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

Harley?

Are you listening? We natives are restless.... MORE Punjar! (Please, and thank you.)
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Already in development, guys. :) Wish it could come quicker, but we want to make sure it is done right.

Hey, maybe while I have your ears, give me a list of 5 things you love and 5 things you hate in city settings. I know what my preferences are, but I'd love to where our tastes line up and where they deviate.

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

Harley Stroh wrote:Already in development, guys. :) Wish it could come quicker, but we want to make sure it is done right.
As much as I want to throw huge wads of cash at Goodman, I always prefer ^ this ^ approach to "get it out ASAP, and quality be damned!"

*coughMongoosecough*

The city products I have enjoyed in the past were: Waterdeep's boxed set (I mean, that was so detailed I think each brick had it's own name); the Lankhmar books that TSR put out throughout the years; Five Fingers: Port of Deceit did many, many things "right";

I love about city settings (in no particular order):

1) Chase scenes...or, more to the point, streamlined rules for them; adaptable to street, sewer and rooftop. Keep them simple, keep them flexible.

2) Random neighborhood generators. If I recall correctly, the Lankhmar boxed set that TSR released (many, many years ago) had randomly-populated blocks / neighborhoods. I recall WotC's Cityscape, released late 2006, offered this too. I like them because I don't really want to memorize an ass-load of specific locations, yet DMs need to have a general idea what can be found in a particular neighborhood. "Concept" neighborhoods that convey the idea of what's to be found there without being uber-detailed.

3) Unique NPCs and a few unique locations--these are the places that jump out compared to the ^ above random blocks ^. These can be heavily-described, OCD-detailed, mega-fiddly fluff-fests that go into so much minutia that your brain throbs when you put the book down. For examples, please see anything Ed Greenwood wrote regarding Waterdeep in virtually any product.

4) Plot hooks, and lots of them. What's going on? Which factions are screwing other factions? What's the diplomatic barometer regarding Punjar's surrounding cities / nations? Are there plots involving little people as well as the movers and shakers? The city is alive 24-7, so give it activity. For examples....uh, spend a week in mid-town Manhattan.

5) The structure of Punjar's factions. See Privateer's Five Fingers: Port of Deceit for examples of how to deftly illustrate the ties between various factions.

bonus! 6) Separate books for players vs. DMs

Not fond of:

1) Uber-detail of blocks / neighborhoods that players aren't realistically going to adventure in

2) Crap maps - maps that don't actually provide details of city sections (I, personally, would like to be able to name my own streets, too)

3) Ghettoes that contain exceptionally "wa-hoo" races (I don't need the Phlumph Quarter in Punjar)

4) Anachronistic locations: a 16th-century city with gladitorial pits; cro-magnons' caves with sophisticated legal and polital systems

I'll edit this post if I think of #5.

Return to “DCC Modules - 4E”