4E Aereth and Punjar

For discussion of DCC modules published for D&D 4E.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

AstroCat
Wild-Eyed Zealot

4E Aereth and Punjar

Post by AstroCat »

We just finished off our Saga of the Dragon Cult campaign, over 2 years in the running! Good times.

I am moving to 4E and very seriously considering Aereth again and using the Punjar adventure path this time. I know that at some point we are getting an updated 4E Aereth but I dont know when, and I probably want to start the new campaign in the next 3-4 weeks.

I have some idea but not completely how to incorporate Dragonborn and Tieflings. As well what about the gods and things such as Channel Divinity powers? If I just wing it on my own I dont want to become too out of sync when the "real" 4E Aereth comes out.

I wish there was some guide to "4E'izing" Aereth.

As well I have both Punjar modules available, but is there any real information about the lands around Punjar? Something like what is included in the DM guide for the default 4E world? I found that very cool as it lists classes and races and how they fit in to the world. With Punjar I am not finding this kind of information.

Thanks for the help! :)

And just for fun here is how I've been describing Aereth...

If you think of default POL as 100 years after the fall of the last human empire, which no human alive was a member of, think of Aereth as around 30-40 years in to the fall, where as 100 years would be the default POL. Older humans can remember the kingdoms of before, but those days are over now, and the future does not look bright. The more elder humanoid races numbers have dwindled and are no longer the powers they were in ages past. Most keep to themselves, the elves to their forest homes and the dwarves to their mountain enclaves. This is not to say they are not around, they are, but usually not as a major sectional political power, they have concerns of their own. Old major countries and political powers are starting to exist more on paper than in reality. The world is a dark place and full of corruption and villainy. Trade routes are always threatened and major kingdoms no longer have the military power to protect their citizens so most are left on their own. Desperate times are a great time for heroes who are rare to be sure!
frank5471uk
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Re: 4E Aereth and Punjar

Post by frank5471uk »

Astrocat

I am currently using Aereth to run both 3.5 ed and 4e games in. I haven't bothered too much about how the new races fit in (I know that Tieflings and Dragonborn aren't mentioned in the Gazeteer, but they are not explicitely excluded either) and neither have the players.

I did need to do something about the deities and supporting them in 4e however. Rather than go down the route of defining a whole load of new Channel Divinity feats (and create lots of balance issues due to inexperience with 4e), I simply opted to allocate the existing 4e PHB Channel Divinity feats onto the Aereth Pantheon as follows (with a cunning rename to keep the Aereth flavor). It's worked OK to date and should keep me going until a 4e Gazeteer comes out. At least it's simple :D

I have left the evil gods as tbd (="to be disclosed" as the current WoTC PHB and DMG are silent on Channel Divinity feats for evil deities). Obviously if you don't like the alignments and feats I have chosen for the Aereth pantheon, then you could substitute your own.

Let me know what you think.

Frank

The Triad

Name...............4e Align...............4e CD Feat................c.f. WoTC CD Feat

Centivus........Unaligned...........Harmony of Centivus..........Harmony of Erathis
Choranus.......Lawful Good........Armor of Choranus.............Armor of Bahamut
Ildavir...........Unaligned..............Ildavir’s Tide....................Melora’s Tide

The Greater Gods

Name...............4e Align...............4e CD Feat................c.f. WoTC CD Feat

Ahriman.........Chaotic Evil.................tbd................................tbd
Amun Tor .......Unaligned...........Amun Tor’s Reversal..........Sehanine’s Reversal
Auzarr...........Unaligned............Auzarr’s Rescue...............Avandra’s Rescue
Daenthar........Lawful Good........Daenthar’s Resolve...........Moradin’s Resolve
Ireth.............Good..................Ireth’s Poise....................Ioun’s Poise
Madrah..........Unaligned............Madrah’s Rescue..............Avandra’s Rescue
Olidyra...........Unaligned...........Olidyra’s Rescue...............Avandra’s Rescue
Ormazd..........Lawful Good........Ormazd’s Radiance............Pelor’s Radiance
Poderon.........Good..................Poderon’s Tide.................Melora’s Tide
Zhühn............Chaotic Evil.................tbd...............................tbd

The Lesser Gods

Delvyr.............Good................Delvyr’s Poise....................Ioun’s Poise
Denithae.........Unaligned.......... Denithae’s Radiance.........Pelor’s Radiance
Elyr................Good.................Elyr’s Radiance................Pelor’s Radiance
Fenwar...........Unaligned...........Fenwar’s Favour...............Kord’s Favour
Gil’Mâridth.......Chaotic Evil................tbd...............................tbd
Gorhan............Lawful Good.......Armour of Gorhan............Armor of Bahamut
Hidden Lord.....Chaotic Evil................tbd...............................tbd
Justicia...........Lawful Good.......Armour of Justicia............Armor of Bahamut
Klazath............Evil..........................tbd...............................tbd
Lasheeva.........Evil..........................tbd...............................tbd
Myna..............Unaligned...........Myna’s Reversal..............Sehanine’s Reversal
Neshti.............Good.................Neshti’s Reversal............Sehanine’s Reversal
Ôæ.................Good.................Oae’s Grace...................Corellon’s Grace
Pelagia............Unaligned...........Pelagia’s Tide...................Melora’s Tide
Rathul.............Unaligned...........Rathul’s Reversal............Sehanine’s Reversal
Shul...............Unaligned............Harmony of Shul............Harmony of Erathis
Soleth............Unaligned............Soleth’s Blessing...........Raven Queen’s Blessing
Tororthun...........Evil........................tbd...............................tbd
Ulesh............Lawful Good..........Ulesh’s Radiance..............Pelor’s Radiance
Valdreth.........Unaligned.............Valdreth’s Grace..............Corellon’s Grace
Variag............Unaligned..............Variag’s Favour................Kord’s Favor
Wyshalar........Unaligned............Wyshalar’s Rescue............Avandra’s Rescue
Xeluth...............Evil.........................tbd..............................tbd
Yvyn.................Evil.........................tbd..............................tbd

The Demigods

Ahpuchac........Unaligned...........Ahpuchac’s Blessing........Raven Queen’s Blessing
Anahuara............Good...............Anahuara’s Grace..............Corellon’s Grace
Ankharet..............Evil.........................tbd..............................tbd
Aristemis.............Good.............Harmony of Aristemis........Harmony of Erathis
Axaluatl................Evil.........................tbd..............................tbd
Bargúl..................Evil.........................tbd..............................tbd
Bobugbubilz......Chaotic Evil..................tbd...............................tbd
Cadixtat...........Chaotic Evil..................tbd...............................tbd
Calchoti...............Good................Calchoti’s Tide.................Melora’s Tide
Chondri................Good.................Chondri’s Tide................Melora’s Tide
Coatlimict.............Evil.........................tbd..............................tbd
Cynhuara.........Lawful Good.........Cynhuara’s Grace............Corellon’s Grace
Elas.....................Evil.........................tbd..............................tbd
Gadraak...........Chaotic Evil..................tbd...............................tbd
Huamext..............Good..............Huamext’s Radiance........Huamext’s Radiance
Ilhuicatl...............Good................Ilhuicatl’s Rescue..........Avandra’s Rescue
Ilquot...............Unaligned.................Ilquot’s Tide................Melora’s Tide
Kagnar............Chaotic Evil..................tbd...............................tbd
Lagos..............Chaotic Evil..................tbd...............................tbd
Malotoch..........Chaotic Evil..................tbd...............................tbd
Molgrem...............Evil.........................tbd..............................tbd
Narrimunâth..........Evil.........................tbd..............................tbd
Nimlurun...............Evil.........................tbd..............................tbd
Septych...............Evil.........................tbd..............................tbd
Sothulth...........Unaligned...........Sothulth’s Reversal..........Sehanine’s Reversal
Teleus............Lawful Good.............Teleus’ Favour................Kord’s Favor
Thalass............Unaligned...............Thalass’ Grace..............Corellon’s Grace
Tlachinozal............Evil.........................tbd..............................tbd
Thormyr...........Unaligned.............Armour of Thormyr..........Armor of Bahamut
Traitor............Chaotic Evil..................tbd...............................tbd
Urath.............Chaotic Evil..................tbd...............................tbd
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.
AstroCat
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by AstroCat »

This is pretty cool and along the lines of what I think will have to be done to get a 4E Aereth going. Thanks for posting, this help for sure. I am still working out the best way I want to work Dragonborn and Tieflings in to Punjar among some other setting issues.
Renshai
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Renshai »

Tieflings will definitely be easy to work in, and placing Dragonborn as local to Punjar probably wouldn't be hard. I'd picture their race coming from around the Achsfel Wastes. Perhaps their once great kingdom was found there.
Life is cruel, in the tarnished jewel...
--Old Thom, Smoke, Punjar
Jeff LaSala
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Jeff LaSala »

I have some idea but not completely how to incorporate Dragonborn and Tieflings.
It's a safe bet you'll have all your questions answered. ;) Just not that quick.

But how dragonborn fit into Áereth is already out, in Hero's Handbook: Dragonborn. As for tieflings, well, you know it's coming at some point.

As for the gods...exactly, frank5471uk. They'll get their 4E details in due time, but until they do, a quick adaptation from the Player's Handbook is precisely right.
Goodman Games: DCCs: #29, #31, #35, #48, #49, #51; Hero's Handbooks: Dragonborn, Tieflings; Level Up
Wizards of the Coast: The Darkwood Mask
Blindsided Books: Savant
Ashlock.org; NY Speculative Fiction Examiner
Renshai
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Renshai »

I didn't know the handbooks had Known World details in them. Now I've got to get them.

As if 70 bucks on DCC's in one day wasn't good enough! Vampires!
Life is cruel, in the tarnished jewel...
--Old Thom, Smoke, Punjar
Jeff LaSala
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Jeff LaSala »

I didn't know the handbooks had Known World details in them.
To be fair, they're not full-blown Áereth books. But they do tie-in. They use Áereth as the default world. Obviously we want the books to be easily adaptable for gamers who wish to use their own worlds or another established setting.
Goodman Games: DCCs: #29, #31, #35, #48, #49, #51; Hero's Handbooks: Dragonborn, Tieflings; Level Up
xredjasonx
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by xredjasonx »

Is the pantheon going to change much with the 4E version?
Jeff LaSala
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Jeff LaSala »

Is the pantheon going to change much with the 4E version?
Too soon to say, but I don't see why it would. The nature of the gods as presented in the 4E Player's Handbook (and the Worlds & Monsters book prior), and the rationale behind the changes, sure sounded a lot like the already existing nature of the 3E gods of Áereth. ;)

Of course, 4E alignments need to replace the olds ones, but that's pretty simple.

Anyway, the deities of Áereth may get a little bit of screen time sooner than you think. Have to leave it at that for now.

Return to “DCC Modules - 4E”