Aereth and 4E

For discussion of DCC modules published for D&D 4E.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Re: Aereth and 4E

Post by Harley Stroh »

Edit: Ninja'd by Hyb!
AstroCat wrote:Will the Free Game Day module show us how you got around the stat block issue? I am very curious about this because this seems to be the big hang up at the moment. Thanks!
Regretfully, no. The Punjar Gaz. was written months and months ago, long before the 4E rules even came out, so it is entirely crunch free.

It will tell you what to expect from the first 4E DCCs, which will in turn answer these concerns. Sorry to be so oblique. But, suffice it to say that if you are a fan of 4E and the DCC line (or simply use the DCCs to steal ideas for your home game) there are good times ahead.

I'm proud of all the DCCs I've rode watch over, but these up the ante.

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
Blackdirge
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Blackdirge »

Harley Stroh wrote:

//H
True that. These upcoming DCCs are some of the best I've worked on.

BD
Aeryn "Blackdirge" Rudel
Hybban
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Hybban »

I think that 4th ed adventure are easier to create on every level. It give more time for the authors to polish the stories, the background, the kewl powers and so on.

Hyb'
jason.richardson
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by jason.richardson »

Blackdirge wrote:
Harley Stroh wrote:

//H
True that. These upcoming DCCs are some of the best I've worked on.

BD
The new DCCs will be available around Oct. I'm guessing?
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

jason.richardson wrote:The new DCCs will be available around Oct. I'm guessing?
:)

//H

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
jason.richardson
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Hey - will you guys be able to use the default D&D gods with Áereth? How about the warforged idea you have?
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Jason,

By my understanding of the SRD, warforged are not up for grabs. So anything I write about them is fan-material. Gods are also off limits.

//H

jason.richardson
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Harley Stroh wrote:Jason,

By my understanding of the SRD, warforged are not up for grabs. So anything I write about them is fan-material. Gods are also off limits.

//H
Okay. No big deal. I'm sure you guys will give us gods and goddesses that we'll be very happy about and warforged are easy to work in. The nice thing about Áereth is that it is easy to add stuff.

Thanks for the reply!

~jason
Jeff LaSala
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Jeff LaSala »

Indeed. We made Áereth so that it's easily adaptable. There's a whole spectrum and pantheon of gods to choose from for those who don't want to have to make up their own. And even those gods go by many names, so it's easy to associate any of the 4E gods with any of the Áereth gods, if you're really eager to use them. They are likely to be one and the same.
Goodman Games: DCCs: #29, #31, #35, #48, #49, #51; Hero's Handbooks: Dragonborn, Tieflings; Level Up
Wizards of the Coast: The Darkwood Mask
Blindsided Books: Savant
Ashlock.org; NY Speculative Fiction Examiner
xredjasonx
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by xredjasonx »

Well I hope it wont be considered a disrespect if my group uses the 4E core pantheon when I run the DCC's. My group, as a whole, really likes it.

In Keep on the Shadowfell, I'm playing a human wizard, now level 2, that is unaligned and worships Ioun. He wears an Ioun symbol pendent around his neck. He basically became a bookworm after the death of his parents and so he confides in a lot of what she stands for. His father was a wizard in Fallcrest and his mother was a cleric of the church (Pelor), and Kendric (my characters name) was a rambunctious kid who would always neglect his studies, making his father constantly disappointed and annoyed. His parents died when he was 16, investigating a place outside of Fallcrest called the Temple of Yellow Skulls. Feeling guilty and trying to avoid the pain of the death of his parents, Kendric immersed himself in the arcane studies of his father.

So yeah, you can tell I'm big into character background, which is funny because I'm not too keen on 1st person social rp'ing. I refer to him in 3rd person as often as I can when playing. I'm thinking of starting up a character journal on Gleemax.......
jason.richardson
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

xredjasonx wrote:Well I hope it wont be considered a disrespect if my group uses the 4E core pantheon when I run the DCC's. My group, as a whole, really likes it.

In Keep on the Shadowfell, I'm playing a human wizard, now level 2, that is unaligned and worships Ioun. He wears an Ioun symbol pendent around his neck. He basically became a bookworm after the death of his parents and so he confides in a lot of what she stands for. His father was a wizard in Fallcrest and his mother was a cleric of the church (Pelor), and Kendric (my characters name) was a rambunctious kid who would always neglect his studies, making his father constantly disappointed and annoyed. His parents died when he was 16, investigating a place outside of Fallcrest called the Temple of Yellow Skulls. Feeling guilty and trying to avoid the pain of the death of his parents, Kendric immersed himself in the arcane studies of his father.

So yeah, you can tell I'm big into character background, which is funny because I'm not too keen on 1st person social rp'ing. I refer to him in 3rd person as often as I can when playing. I'm thinking of starting up a character journal on Gleemax.......
Hey man - awesome character background. Thanks for sharing. I too am currently playing a human wizard (still first level :cry: ). Imagine if Gandalf and Friar Tuck had a baby, and you understand my PC, Odo the Fat. We aren't in the Fallcrest area - our DM has created his own "point of light" called Gideontown (a place governed by a lord dragon named Gideonobomax). Our characters are currently going on quests for the Dragon Lord.

I prefer to DM, but my campaign won't be starting until later this summer - once I have a few DCCs and (hopefully) the updated Áereth. However, I do believe the Punjar gaz will give us enough "world" info. to use that for a while. However, I have the Áereth boxed set and that will suffice until the 4E updates are released.

cheers and happy gaming :!:
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

xredjasonx wrote:Well I hope it wont be considered a disrespect if my group uses the 4E core pantheon when I run the DCC's. My group, as a whole, really likes it.
Absolutely not! :) Áereth was always about being open to any GM's home campaign, and not shackling players with canon. Use the core gods, make up your own, steal them from Dragonlance, whatever. If it makes your game better, use it. If it makes your game less fun, drop it.

The benefit of the using the DCC gods is that they were all drawn from previous DCC adventures. If you run into a god in DCC ##: Whatever, the GM could be confident it was part of the pantheon somehow. Now that some gamers are making the switch to 4E and might not be playing some of the previous adventures, that need for consistent pantheons is not as great.

//H

frank5471uk
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by frank5471uk »

frank5471uk wrote: JediOre

Don't bust a gut over this. If someone else wants to go with you, then fine, but I would feel very guilty if you dragged your Dad on a 1.5hour round trip on my behalf (if he didn't want to go).

I will probably make the trek to my (participating), (not so) friendly, (not so) local game store on the 21st come what may. It's a 45 minute trip each way for me as well.

If I come away empty handed, it'll be the last time I try and support local retailers. Some of the service I get from the net based detailers is streets ahead of my (not so) local.

Keep me posted of progress. If you can definitely get multiple copies and are happy to send me one (at my expense) then fine. Otherwise we'll think again.

Frank
All I have managed to pick up a copy of Punjar : The Tarnished Jewel (plus some other decent stuff) after my trip to Aldershot. The FLGS was no help earlier in the week (they didn't even know what was in the freebies box), so I turned up on spec and helped them open the box. They were very friendly today, if a little clueless :?

There were very limited copies of each giveaway, and a large queue forming, so I only took a single copy.

If JediOre is reading this before he makes his trip - I don't need a spare copy. If your Dad doesn't want to go, don't drag him along :)

Frank
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

Frank[/quote]

If JediOre is reading this before he makes his trip - I don't need a spare copy. If your Dad doesn't want to go, don't drag him along :)

Frank[/quote]

Woo-hoo! Frank, thanks for letting me know. I may not go at all now.

With gasoline costing what it does, and the fact that I've got to research and write a paper on the Eight Amendment this weekend for my masters program, I'm not sure I can spend two+ hours away from my work.

If I don't get to Warrensburg today, I'll be bummed since it is Harley's work I'll be missing out on, but that's life.

P.S. -- It's official, I didn't make it to Free RPG Day. Someone is going to have to give a detailed review of the premium penned by Harley on these boards, please.
xredjasonx
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by xredjasonx »

I've got my copy right here! I just got back from a place near my house called Knightfall Games. I'm gonna drink my energy drink and give it a read and then I'll post up somethin'.

I also picked up the WotC free RGP module, called Treasure of Talon Pass, it looks pretty cool as well.
xredjasonx
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by xredjasonx »

First I must say the map on the inside cover is freakin' sweet! Now back to reading........
xredjasonx
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by xredjasonx »

Ok first, the 4E DCC line launches in August, kicking off with the 3 adventures we've seen the covers to on OgreCave:

DCC 53: Sellswords of Punjar
DCC 54: Forges of the Mountain King
DCC 55: Isle of the Sea Drake

I already mentioned that the color map of Punjar on the inside cover kicks major ass!

The intro is well, your basic short intro about the city, with some cool tips about using Punjar in your campaign, and the politics of Punjar etc..

The bulk of the Gazetteer is sectioned by describing the different wards (i.e. districts, neighborhoods etc.) of the city. The description of each ward is really great, highlighting of course some of the more notable places within each ward. The writing is done quite well, hat-tip to Mr. Stroh ;) My favorite part so far is the description of the City of the Dead, a section of the city that is an old graveyard filled with tombs, crypts etc. that is no longer in use. Part of the city wall has crumbled and the swamp has slowly started to take over this area. Don't know if I'm allowed to quote from the Gazetteer, but the description is really cool.

The next section talks about a couple of the places outside of Punjar: The Great Black Swamp and a place called Spiderhaunt Spire. Spiderhaunt Spire sounds really cool because it is a tall tower made of a shiny ebony material, in which the reflections show the viewers covered in cobwebs swarming with small black spiders. Creepy! I hope this becomes a module.

The last part gives a short overview of the plots of the next 3 DCC adventure modules that will take place in Punjar:

Sellswords of Punjar
Six Against Punjar
Thrones of Punjar

Looking forward to running all 3 of them. Overall, I was looking forward to getting this and it is basically exactly what I wanted it to be.
Last edited by xredjasonx on Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xredjasonx
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by xredjasonx »

I'm actually instant messaging with my usual DM, telling him a bit about it and we've already got that he wants to play a dragonborn warlord from the section of the city called the Devils Thumb, the "entertainment district", where some of the more exotic races are known to live, like dragonborn or teifling.

I've got one question now, what about elves or eladrin in the area around Punjar?
Save Vs. Death Ray
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Save Vs. Death Ray »

Awesome review! Thank you for posting i.
xredjasonx wrote:Ok first, the 4E DCC line launches in August, kicking off with the 3 adventures we've seen the covers to on OgreCave:

DCC 53: Sellswords of Punjar
DCC 54: Forges of the Mountain King
DCC 55: Isle of the Sea Drake
But this has to be a typo, right? I mean I thought October 1 was the release date for all 4E material. (Though August does make sense. Gen Con and all. Maybe Goodman Games negotiated a special deal with Wizards?)

[Edit .... I guess I was wrong and Red J was right. Here are the pre-sale links to Amazon and the all say Aug 6

http://www.amazon.com/Forges-Mountain-D ... 265&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Sellswords-Punjar ... 322&sr=8-7

http://www.amazon.com/Isle-Drake-Dungeo ... 359&sr=8-3

Can someone tell us if this is this for real?!]
xredjasonx
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by xredjasonx »

On the back cover in big bold lettering it says:

This August DCC Delivers

And it also says August on the inside back cover, for those three modules.

I wish it was sooner!
Save Vs. Death Ray
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

xredjasonx wrote:On the back cover in big bold lettering it says:

This August DCC Delivers

And it also says August on the inside back cover, for those three modules.

I wish it was sooner!
Well it can't be a typo then. :lol: Maybe it went to print before Goodman Games knew about the October limit?
Last edited by Save Vs. Death Ray on Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Save Vs. Death Ray
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

xredjasonx wrote:The bulk of the Gazetteer is sectioned by describing the different wards (i.e. districts, neighborhoods etc.) of the city. The description of each ward is really great, highlighting of course some of the more notable places within each ward. The writing is done quite well, hat-tip to Mr. Stroh ;) My favorite part so far is the description of the City of the Dead, a section of the city that is an old graveyard filled with tombs, crypts etc. that is no longer in use. Part of the city wall has crumbled and the swamp has slowly started to take over this area. Don't know if I'm allowed to quote from the Gazetteer, but the description is really cool.
I think you can quote it (fair use for purpose of review and all). What does it say that is so cool?
xredjasonx
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by xredjasonx »

Save Vs. Death Ray wrote:I think you can quote it (fair use for purpose of review and all). What does it say that is so cool?

"As the swamp reaches further into the City, the surviving necropolis grows increasingly wilder. Thick swamp vines, black moss and mold cover all of the crypts, and the broad, paved footpaths have been reduced to narrow tracks flanked by thorny bushes and pools of brackish water stinking of rotting flesh."
Save Vs. Death Ray
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Very cool. Seems like fun adventuring location if they get the whole urban adventure theme right.

Great sig. Here's one more to add to the list

http://www.amazon.com/Search-Adventure- ... 876&sr=8-3
xredjasonx
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by xredjasonx »

Thanks! I made the list right now from the links you posted. Kudos ;)

Return to “DCC Modules - 4E”