What will happen to Áereth (i.e. the DCC setting) under 4e?

For discussion of DCC modules published for D&D 4E.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

Warduke
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Warduke »

Jeff LaSala wrote: I'll be picking that up today...for, uhh, research. :D
i think they're even making a move away from racial deities. i mean c'mon, they're even doing the áereth stuff that i didn't like. :wink: :wink: :wink:

and then all the talk about countless civilizations, and ruins everywhere. it's word for word out of the dcc play book. seriously. read it and tell me it doesn't jump out at you.

makes me think "mike ferguson" is the pen name for scott rouse or something. :D
Warduke
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Warduke »

GnomeBoy wrote:Attitude makes the man, as it were.
QFT!
Jeff LaSala
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Jeff LaSala »

I don't anticipate any 'conversion' problems, since I'm generally not attached to specific powers anyway..... Attitude makes the man, as it were.
And that's a good attitude to go into 4E with, too.
Goodman Games: DCCs: #29, #31, #35, #48, #49, #51; Hero's Handbooks: Dragonborn, Tieflings; Level Up
Wizards of the Coast: The Darkwood Mask
Blindsided Books: Savant
Ashlock.org; NY Speculative Fiction Examiner
Mike_Ferguson
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Mike_Ferguson »

Warduke wrote:makes me think "mike ferguson" is the pen name for scott rouse or something. :D
It's not.

Trust me. :)

But I'm glad that Aereth and 4e are going to have some natural common ground. It should make our job of writing new and exciting DCCs for you guys a little easier.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

I'm kinda thinking that perhaps 4e will be the D&D I always wished there had been.

For instance: I've always been drawn to spellcasters as class. But always been frustrated with 'I know that spell, but don't have it memorized' and 'I'm out of spells, guys' and 'I have 3 hit points ...total!'.... Sounds like 4e fixes this.

Other issues also seem to be addressed in satisfying ways. I'm not into getting the preview books, since I barely have the money for core books. But I'm ready to read, come June!

The fact that it fits closely to the DCC world just makes it cooler! 8)
Last edited by GnomeBoy on Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Warduke
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Warduke »

Mike_Ferguson wrote:
Warduke wrote:makes me think "mike ferguson" is the pen name for scott rouse or something. :D
It's not.

Trust me. :)
that's the thing .... you can't trust the Ferg! i've played all of his adventures and if there is one thing know, is that you can't trust the Ferg!
Jeff LaSala
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Jeff LaSala »

Oh, great. I invite "the Ferg" into my play-by-post game and NOW someone warns me not to trust him. Just great.
Goodman Games: DCCs: #29, #31, #35, #48, #49, #51; Hero's Handbooks: Dragonborn, Tieflings; Level Up
Jeff LaSala
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Jeff LaSala »

Ohh...speaking of the Fergunator...

Happy birthday, Mike! (Yeah, I know.)

ImageImage Image
Warduke
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Warduke »

happy birthday ferganaut!
Mike_Ferguson
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Mike_Ferguson »

Thank you kindly, gents. :)
Rick Maffei
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Rick Maffei »

Alas, I cannot match Jeff's great animated eye tyrant, but let me join in and wish you a great birthday Mike.
Here's to many more years of writing fantastic adventures!

:twisted:
DCC #26 The Scaly God
DCC #60 Thrones of Punjar
Monstercology: Orcs
Age of Cthulhu 2: Madness in London Town
Co-author Age of Cthulhu 5: The Long Reach of Evil
Co-author 2006, 2007, 2008 Tourney DCCs

Visit Rick's RPG Blog Jabberwock's Rest
Ken Hart
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Ken Hart »

Hey, Happy Birthday, Mike, you crazy Aquarius!

--Ken
DCC, DragonMech, Etherscope editor
Writer: "Madness at the Mutilated Oak," DCC #48: The Adventure Continues;
DCC #52: Chronicle of the Fiend

"It really is the height of pessimism to have a hat lined with chain mail." --Mrs. Peel
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Happy birthday, Mike!

Now get back to writing. :twisted:

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
Mike_Ferguson
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Mike_Ferguson »

Thanks again, fellas. It's awesome being able to work with a whole bunch of great gamers.

(And Harley ... what makes you think that I stopped? 8) )
velvetlinedbox
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by velvetlinedbox »

I just was wondering will goodman make another prouduct like the dcc 35 gazetter of the known world. I am thinking about buying it but dropping 40 for a pdf of it is really expensive with 4ed on the horizon. Cause if they make a new one than It would be eaiser to use for 4ed.
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

velvetlinedbox wrote:I just was wondering will goodman make another prouduct like the dcc 35 gazetter of the known world. I am thinking about buying it but dropping 40 for a pdf of it is really expensive with 4ed on the horizon. Cause if they make a new one than It would be eaiser to use for 4ed.
At the moment, DCC #35 is sold out in print. If the opportunity arises, it's a perfect candidate for updating to 4E and reprinting.
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
velvetlinedbox
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by velvetlinedbox »

good to know. I will wait and see if a reprint comes out later for 4th
Stikk
Gongfarmer

Post by Stikk »

If an Aereth update for 4E is considered, I know I would pick up a copy. I love DCC 35, and can't wait to see what you guys do with 4E.

Stikk
AstroCat
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by AstroCat »

Having read the 2 4e preview books I admit I really like the world they are setting up. I would like to join it in to my Aereth setting but if Goodman put out an official product I'd buy that in a second.

Things like the gods and some other bits would need some work to get right in Aereth I think.
Nahat Anoj
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Nahat Anoj »

AstroCat wrote:Having read the 2 4e preview books I admit I really like the world they are setting up. I would like to join it in to my Aereth setting but if Goodman put out an official product I'd buy that in a second.

Things like the gods and some other bits would need some work to get right in Aereth I think.
I kinda sorta hope that other companies can use the 4e pantheon in their products. From what I've read of it, I like the 4e pantheon better than the Aereth pantheon and it would be cool for GG and other companies to write up adventures using Vecna or Tiamat.
AstroCat
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by AstroCat »

I agree, if i do start a 4e campaign based in Aereth I am seriously thinking of using the 4e gods instead of the Areath ones.
I wish they would make the 4e core more expanded and a full setting, but it seems to me Aereth could be pretty close, a lot closer than Eberron or FR.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Jonathan Moyer wrote:I kinda sorta hope that other companies can use the 4e pantheon in their products. From what I've read of it, I like the 4e pantheon better than the Aereth pantheon and it would be cool for GG and other companies to write up adventures using Vecna or Tiamat.
Are the gods going to be part of the SRD, or fall into 'corporate identity'? Did I read that the 'identity' elements were going to be available for hire...?
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Nahat Anoj
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Nahat Anoj »

GnomeBoy wrote:
Jonathan Moyer wrote:I kinda sorta hope that other companies can use the 4e pantheon in their products. From what I've read of it, I like the 4e pantheon better than the Aereth pantheon and it would be cool for GG and other companies to write up adventures using Vecna or Tiamat.
Are the gods going to be part of the SRD, or fall into 'corporate identity'? Did I read that the 'identity' elements were going to be available for hire...?
I really don't know if the 4e gods will be available "for hire." All I know is that 4e will use a more restrictive Game System License (GSL), as opposed to the relatively wide open OGL. I know nothing about the GSL, but my guess is that it will be easier to make adventures, sourcebooks, and that directly support D&D 4e (as opposed to alternate PHBs or OGL games). If companies are going to be required to focus a little more on D&D, then I can see WotC allowing companies a little more leeway with "corporate identity" stuff.

But the bottom line is I hope this will be the case. I have no idea if it will actually be the case or not.
jason.richardson
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by jason.richardson »

Harley Stroh wrote:And, as one GM to another, if you don't like something in 4E, throw it out. Don't let the core book tell you squat. (My longest running campaign was an L5R game where I forced all 5 players to choose the same "class." 4+ years. Best game I ever ran.)

"Do what thou wilt, that shall be the whole of the GM's law." :twisted:

Old man, signing off,
//H
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

*laugh* The next book I write with 100 or more pages, I'll have to hide something on ol' page 93 for you, Jason. :)

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.

Return to “DCC Modules - 4E”