Cosmology & Setting

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

jmucchiello
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Re: Cosmology & Setting

Post by jmucchiello »

finarvyn wrote:The playtest file is around 300 pages in length and has no campaign information at all in it.
Having not seen the playtest file I can only assume it's a Word file with a single 6"-6.5" column and 12 point fonts throughout. 3 or so of those pages can easily fit onto a normal RPG page.

Of course that assumes one doesn't put just a single spell on each page in the spell section. :)
Black Dougal
Deft-Handed Cutpurse
FLGS: Total Escape Games, Broomfield CO

Post by Black Dougal »

smathis wrote:
goodmangames wrote:There have to be planes. Lots of them.
And can there be snakes?

On those planes?
The house rules document now has its first setting, "The Ethereal Plane of Snakes." :mrgreen:
"The Black Dougal" (formerly known as dkeester) -- DCCRPG Fan Boy since 2010
DCCRPG PC Death Toll: 25

DCCRPG Playtests: Tacticon 2010, GenghisCon 2011, Tacticon 2011, GenghisCon 2012
Member: The DCC Expendables (Denver, CO)

Doug may very well hold the dubious title of “most DCC RPG PCs lost during the course of convention play.”
--Harley Stroh
smathis
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by smathis »

dkeester wrote:The house rules document now has its first setting, "The Ethereal Plane of Snakes." :mrgreen:
:lol:

All just a lead up to my character saying: "I'm tired of these Monkey Fighting Snakes on this Monday-to-Friday Plane!"
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

smathis wrote:
And can there be snakes?

On those planes?
And here I was hoping no mithril-flippin' poster would mention that mithril-flippin' movie...! :mrgreen:
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

smathis wrote:
And can there be snakes?

On those planes?
The Conan setting is loaded with snakes, so there is an Appendix N precident set there. And Elric moves from one plane to another frequently. No reason I can see why we couldn't blend the two and have snakes on those planes.

I say we do it!
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
Black Dougal
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Black Dougal »

Plane: Ethereal Plane of Snakes
Inhabitants: Spirits of deceases serpents

Description:
The Plane of Snakes is the creation of the serpent god Set as a resting place for deceased serpents. Whenever a snake dies its spirit flies to the this plane where it is judged by Set. The plane is divided into two regions, the upper and the lower.

The upper region is the habitat of snakes whose life was pleasing to Set. There, with Set, they enjoy all manner of serpentine delights. There are many continents, oceans, lakes, and rivers in the upper region encompassing the multitude of environments where snakes often make their homes.

The lower region is the habitat of snakes that have earned the displeasure of Set. It is ruled by Neville Flynn. Flynn is commonly known in the religion that all snakes share, as the Anti-Snake. The lower region is composed of a single continent, which is shaped roughly like the fuselage of a 747. There the snakes suffer a myriad of unpleasantness until such time as they once again find favor with Set.

DCCRPG Playtests: Tacticon 2010, GenghisCon 2011, Tacticon 2011, GenghisCon 2012

Doug may very well hold the dubious title of “most DCC RPG PCs lost during the course of convention play.”
--Harley Stroh
smathis
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by smathis »

dkeester wrote:The lower region is the habitat of snakes that have earned the displeasure of Set. It is ruled by Neville Flynn. Flynn is commonly known in the religion that all snakes share, as the Anti-Snake. The lower region is composed of a single continent, which is shaped roughly like the fuselage of a 747. There the snakes suffer a myriad of unpleasantness until such time as they once again find favor with Set.
Lol. Awesome.
Hamakto
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Hamakto »

While the snake discussion is awesome, I want to post something about the first topic.

First of all, I do not like the way 4e changed the cosmology. I am not sure how to explain it, but it just rubs me the wrong way. I know that is a weak description, but it is all that I have for you.

I do like the wheel concept, not because it is accurate but because it is something that people can visualize AND it ties together so many of the various mythologies out there. It does not do it very well because if you are running a campaign based on Norse mythology, then it is useless. But in many of the campaigns I ran, I used to let them pick whatever deity of out the Deity and Demigods book they wanted. So there was always a miss mash of deities in the world. Since there were infinite planes (737, 707, 747, etc...), any god or goddess could have followers in any of the multitude of prime material planes.

So is the wheel the best? No. Something tailored to your individual campaign would be best. Based on the gods you worship. If you are in a Greek mythology, then most of the planes are meaningless. If you are in a more classic DnD type campaign, then the planes have some sort of value. Plus, there is always something entertaining about delving into the depths of hell for something!
Andy
Blood Kings
2007 & 2008 DCC Tourney Champion
mshensley
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by mshensley »

I'm not that familiar with Áereth (I couldn't afford it - please no more expensive box sets), but would it have to be changed to better fit with the Appendix N feel they are going for?
Black Dougal
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Black Dougal »

Hamakto wrote:While the snake discussion is awesome, I want to post something about the first topic.

First of all, I do not like the way 4e changed the cosmology. I am not sure how to explain it, but it just rubs me the wrong way. I know that is a weak description, but it is all that I have for you.

I do like the wheel concept, not because it is accurate but because it is something that people can visualize AND it ties together so many of the various mythologies out there. It does not do it very well because if you are running a campaign based on Norse mythology, then it is useless. But in many of the campaigns I ran, I used to let them pick whatever deity of out the Deity and Demigods book they wanted. So there was always a miss mash of deities in the world. Since there were infinite planes (737, 707, 747, etc...), any god or goddess could have followers in any of the multitude of prime material planes.

So is the wheel the best? No. Something tailored to your individual campaign would be best. Based on the gods you worship. If you are in a Greek mythology, then most of the planes are meaningless. If you are in a more classic DnD type campaign, then the planes have some sort of value. Plus, there is always something entertaining about delving into the depths of hell for something!

Darn you for keeping us on topic. :P

You make a good argument for having cosmology and the pantheon be setting dependent. Sometimes the DM might not want to have a Multiverse to play in.

--Harley Stroh
geordie racer
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by geordie racer »

mshensley wrote:I'm not that familiar with Áereth (I couldn't afford it - please no more expensive box sets), but would it have to be changed to better fit with the Appendix N feel they are going for?
It's a mix of S&S and high fantasy with a rich and bloody history. In the present period the great empires have fallen and mankind is on the brink of ruin. Knightly orders (good and bad), lizard-riding barbarians, a secret cabal of demon-blooded Priest Kings, tattooed Northlanders, ancient mysteries, distant lands of Aztec and Samurai type cultures.

So it does fantasy well enough. I'm sure with planes and alternate dimensions you can bring in the more science fantasy elements of Appendix N - or they could be threaded into the setting in a 'Barrier Peaks' fashion.

But

I'm a big believer of setting working at it's best when it develops through adventure modules rather than large gazetters. It leads to a greater sense of things being unknown and more anticipation in the consumer - rather than the 'I have the setting book, it's all there' attitude that keeps the setting static.
Sean Wills
smathis
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by smathis »

geordie racer wrote:I'm a big believer of setting working at it's best when it develops through adventure modules rather than large gazetters. It leads to a greater sense of things being unknown and more anticipation in the consumer - rather than the 'I have the setting book, it's all there' attitude that keeps the setting static.
+1 to that
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

geordie racer wrote:I'm a big believer of setting working at it's best when it develops through adventure modules rather than large gazetters. It leads to a greater sense of things being unknown and more anticipation in the consumer - rather than the 'I have the setting book, it's all there' attitude that keeps the setting static.
When you think about it, that's really the Appendix N way of doing things, which makes it prefect for the DCC RPG.

Conan, for example, seems like a coherent setting now but when it was written as a collection of short stories not told in chronological order. It wasn't made into a logical timeline setting until the 1960's when DeCamp and Carter did it (and added stories of their own in the middle to make the sequence follow correctly).

Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser were similar, with a bunch of short story adventures that may or may not have a "best" order. Elric, same thing. Go down the list and pretty much everything was written in this style, often without maps or anything like that to guide a reader from adventure to adventure.

Tolkien's elaborate detail in his setting was the exception and not the rule, and having fully-detailed settings really isn't "Appendix N" in style overall.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman
Geoffrey
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Geoffrey »

IMO, one of the most "Appendix N"-feel published setting is Judges Guild's Wilderlands. It is sparsely-detailed and was released piece-by-piece over a span of years.
Click here to purchase my five AD&D modules.
Each of these modules is self-contained. No other books are required other than the three AD&D rulebooks (or a similar set of rules if you prefer).
Click here to purchase prints of Luigi Castellani's cover art for these modules.
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ravenheart87 »

Geoffrey wrote:IMO, one of the most "Appendix N"-feel published setting is Judges Guild's Wilderlands. It is sparsely-detailed and was released piece-by-piece over a span of years.
Since february I've bought some old Judges Guild stuff for my S&W campaign (Wilderlands of High Fantasy, Modron, Ready Ref Sheets), and they are simply awesome. Especially the maps. They look sturdy enough to survive a nuclear blast.
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.
vogless
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by vogless »

Oh man, I LOVE the Wilderlands stuff.

Nice little adventure hooks on a mostly empty map.

Enough to get you started, then the rest is up to you.

I'd LOVE to see something along those lines for this game. Haven't looked at the Aerth boxed set, so, sorry if it;s like that already...
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

Geoffrey wrote:IMO, one of the most "Appendix N"-feel published setting is Judges Guild's Wilderlands. It is sparsely-detailed and was released piece-by-piece over a span of years.
I agree. I started out D&D with that stuff in the 1970's and thing the setting is really great. Just enough detail to be useful, not so much detail as to be overwhelming. And with the First Fantasy Campaign book you can blend the Wilderlands together with Arneson's Blackmoor! Fantastic! :D
Marv / Finarvyn

-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman
mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by mythfish »

finarvyn wrote:
When you think about it, that's really the Appendix N way of doing things, which makes it prefect for the DCC RPG.

Conan, for example, seems like a coherent setting now but when it was written as a collection of short stories not told in chronological order. It wasn't made into a logical timeline setting until the 1960's when DeCamp and Carter did it (and added stories of their own in the middle to make the sequence follow correctly).

Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser were similar, with a bunch of short story adventures that may or may not have a "best" order. Elric, same thing. Go down the list and pretty much everything was written in this style, often without maps or anything like that to guide a reader from adventure to adventure.
Well, that is more or less how Aereth came to be a coherent setting too. Even after it became an "official setting" I don't think anyone set out to write adventures that took place in that setting. They wrote adventures they wanted to write and then found a way to fit them in the setting. I suspect very little will change in that regard from the old DCC modules and the DCC RPG ones.
Dieter Zimmerman
[[Faceless Minion of the Dark Master]]

Return to “DCC RPG General”