DCCRPG Blackmoor Dungeons Playtest at Gen Con 2011

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Tavis
Wild-Eyed Zealot

DCCRPG Blackmoor Dungeons Playtest at Gen Con 2011

Post by Tavis »

At Gen Con this year, I've been planning to run two all-day-long, rotating-cast-of-players expeditions into the depths of Castle Blackmoor, the first-ever dungeon (as written up in Arneson's First Fantasy Campaign and modified by the events that have taken place there when I ran it at last year's Gen Con, using OD&D, and the Arneson Memorial Gameday, using Dragons at Dawn).

I think I'll run one of these expeditions using the DCC RPG playtest rules, because the Zagyg/Archmage playtest indicated that megadungeons are really fun in this system, and the improvisation demanded by the extremely minimal room descriptions in Blackmoor Dungeons ought to perfectly complement the delightful unexpectedness of DCCRPG play.

Rather than make everyone mash buttons to get into the Gen Con registration queue as soon as it opens, I'm thinking that I'll reserve some slots for folks I know are especially interested. If that includes you, post here and let me know which day and times would be best for you, if there are other people in your group, etc. I'm thinking that I'll have the event listed in the catalog for maybe four open slots, and fill the other four with folks like yourselves. I'll do my best to accomodate everyone - if there's a lot of demand perhaps we'll find some other GMs, which would allow for the lovely possibility of two parties of adventurers running into another in the dungeon during their simultaneous exploration!
Co-author: Forgotten Heroes: Fist, Fang, and Song and Scythe and Shroud; Heroes' Handbook: Eladrin; and two finished Goodman projects that haven't been announced yet, with others on the drawing board!
mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Re: DCCRPG Blackmoor Dungeons Playtest at Gen Con 2011

Post by mythfish »

Not 100% sure I'll be at GenCon yet, but I'm definitely interested. Assuming I'm there, a Thurs or Fri slot would work best for me.
Dieter Zimmerman
[[Faceless Minion of the Dark Master]]
Kruvil
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Kruvil »

I'll be at Gen Con and I'm very interested in this playtest. Friday or Saturday during the day (before 6 PM) would work best. I'd likely have two other people who would want to play as well.

Charlie
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

There is a good chance that my sister and I will drive in from Chicago on Thursday of GenCon. (Actually, she's both a gamer and my driver since I dislike driving any real distances.) I won't be 100% certain if we're going or not until closer to summer, however.

If a couple of spots are open, we might be able to fill in! :D
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Damn, Tavis. That is a cool idea.

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
Tavis
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Tavis »

Thanks Harley!

Event submission ends March 11, so sometime before then I'll review and see what day works best for the most number of us. Fin, are you saying you'd be there Thurs only, or starting Thurs?
Co-author: Forgotten Heroes: Fist, Fang, and Song and Scythe and Shroud; Heroes' Handbook: Eladrin; and two finished Goodman projects that haven't been announced yet, with others on the drawing board!
Jim Skach
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Jim Skach »

Yes please, Tavis.

You can even run it at The Condo if you like.

And we'll have pizza.
Tavis
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Tavis »

Hmm, that is a seriously tempting possibility Jim. The drawback of not being able to do standard con registration for an off-site event has to be balanced against the human engineering advantages of playing in a non-noisy place with ready access to food, bathrooms, smoke breaks, etc., which normally I would laugh off like bullets on Superman's chest but become worthy opponents when we're talking about a 12-hour stretch.
AsmodeusDM
Gongfarmer

Post by AsmodeusDM »

I've stopped lurking on these forums and created a userid just to respond with:

I AM INTERESTED.

I am chomping at the bit to try this game out, and with disappointed when I heard Mr.Goodman wasn't going to be attending GenCon.

Not sure about the other players in my group, but I'm sure at least one would be very interested as well!

I'll check back on this topic for future updates!
Tavis
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Tavis »

Despite setting myself multiple reminders, I managed to forget to get an event submission in before the deadline. I'm still excited to run DCC RPG playtests in Blackmoor Dungeons, but it won't be on the event schedule. Instead, I'll work on finding a location where I can set up and play with whoever drops in. I'll keep this thread updated with details as they get worked out.
bholmes4
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by bholmes4 »

I will be going to Gen Con and have never been to a convention before so I don't exactly know how they work... BUT... if there is anyway I can make one of these sessions I would absolutely love to be a part of one.

I will be coming with two other friends that would really want to play as well. Actually we already have our Zocchi dice ordered in anticipation of DCC's release. As an aside it's also my post-wedding bachelor party (I opted to have it after the wedding so we could have a "geek road trip" lol). I can't imagine a better way to enjoy ourselves then a test run of DCC :) .
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

Tavis wrote:I'm still excited to run DCC RPG playtests in Blackmoor Dungeons, but it won't be on the event schedule.
I'm glad that this is still a "go" even without being on the schedule. Heck, I'm more likely to actually get a spot since I never bother to pre-register early for GenCon anyway. That's my way of missing deadlines....
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
Malovech
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Malovech »

bholmes4 wrote:I will be coming with two other friends that would really want to play as well.
I am one of the friends bholmes4 mentioned and I just registered so that I could voice my enthusiasm for trying this game out at well. Please let me know what I need to do to get on any sort of registration list you may have.
Malovech
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Malovech »

ack double post
Last edited by Malovech on Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
mshensley
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by mshensley »

This happened last year with the only HackMaster Basic game at gencon. It was registered late, didn't make the program, and hardly anyone showed up.

That said, let us know the details on dcc games run at the con. I will definitely show up... if I actually make it to gencon again this year.
kataskicana
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by kataskicana »

I will be at GenCon from Wednesday afternoon to Sunday morning. If you wanted to put something together for an open gaming area I'd definitely love to play.

Events are theoretically being posted in a few days for registration next Sunday, if you wanted to pick a time and day and post it here so people can plan to play DCC that would be great.
Jim Skach
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Jim Skach »

Yeah...if you're looking for passersby, the Condo is not the place*. OTOH, we do have all the amenities. And we can always provide the address here to folks interested...

Not to push it on you. Just to let you know the offer stands.

*ETA: It's not like the Condo is in the suburbs; its about 5 block from the convention center - a couple of blocks ups the street from the Embassy Suites.
Rick
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
FLGS: Gateway Games & More

Post by Rick »

kataskicana wrote:I will be at GenCon from Wednesday afternoon to Sunday morning. If you wanted to put something together for an open gaming area I'd definitely love to play.
Same here!
Last edited by Rick on Sun May 01, 2011 4:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
kataskicana
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by kataskicana »

Any more thoughts on the when and where of the DCC Blackmoor action? Event registration opens (and every thing fills up!) Sunday... so knowing where to leave some free time would be awesome.

Thanks,
Tavis
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Tavis »

Sorry not to have updated this sooner! I've been crazy busy helping create a new RPG - or more precisely, a second-wave retroclone, focused on creating a specific play experience rather than recreating a particular older edition - called the Adventurer Conqueror King System, or ACKS (prounounced "axe"). The DCCRPG is my prime example of another second-wave retroclone; its focus on supporting Appendix N-style play is different from, but complimentary to, ACKS' focus on supporting all the activities that characters get into across the full range of campaign play, from spell research to stronghold building.

The bad news is that I will be too busy running a continuous four-day demo of Adventurer Conqueror King in a penthouse suite at one of the Gen Con convention hotels to do the Blackmoor Dungeons playtest I'd planned. Boo hiss!

The good news is that, although this event is primarily for backers of the Kickstarter that's funding publication of ACKS, we left some slots open for people we wanted to game with at Gen Con but wouldn't otherwise have time. Since I'd been looking forward to playing with y'all, you definitely qualify!

Send me a PM if you're interested, and I'll send you more details. And if you know other folks who might be interested in Adventurer Conqueror King, please share the links above; word of mouth is essential to a crowd-funding effort, so your assistance will really be appreciated.
Troy812
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Troy812 »

I've been lurking... but I would like to get in on this.

Return to “DCC RPG General”