Contest for brand new campaign world for DCC

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

joela
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Contest for brand new campaign world for DCC

Post by joela »

The following is pure speculation here:

What would be the logistic issues if Goodman Games was to host a contest for a brand new campaign world for the DCC RPG? Copyright issues? Royalties? Etc.?
What do you mean no?
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Re: Contest for brand new campaign world for DCC

Post by goodmangames »

Interesting idea, though I do like Aereth. But, as a slight variant to your point, there are spots of it that could be expanded still...
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

I wonder if a new game world would be a marketing advantage or disadvantage.

I can see folks who are interested in the new world deciding to give the game a shot since the two are linked together, however I can see other folks giving it a pass becasue they don't want another world.

Personally, I tend to take new rules sets and apply them to worlds that I create on my own or worlds that I've bought years ago. (Such as Blackmoor, Greyhawk, Judges' Guild Wilderlands, etc.) I don't need another generic world "just because."
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
joela
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by joela »

goodmangames wrote:Interesting idea, though I do like Aereth. But, as a slight variant to your point, there are spots of it that could be expanded still...
Contest to fill in a region of Aereth? That'd be cool.
What do you mean no?
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Since Aereth has been defined under 3.x and 4e, what if the DCC RPG was Old Aereth, Aereth ages ago...?

Just as DCC RPG is inspired by the 'historical' antecedants of the Fantasy Role Play Gaming hobby, the 'native' game world for the DCC RPG would be in it's own way historical.

...It would allow known locations to be (p)re-visited with new(old) twists... along with exploration of hitherto unknown territories...

Just a thought.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
joela
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by joela »

GnomeBoy wrote:Since Aereth has been defined under 3.x and 4e, what if the DCC RPG was Old Aereth, Aereth ages ago...?
Huh. Kinda like the current Glorantha by Mongoose Press? Like.
What do you mean no?
joela
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by joela »

goodmangames wrote:Interesting idea, though I do like Aereth. But, as a slight variant to your point, there are spots of it that could be expanded still...
KQ seems to be doing something similar though as a patronage project.
What do you mean no?
geordie racer
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by geordie racer »

GnomeBoy wrote:Since Aereth has been defined under 3.x and 4e, what if the DCC RPG was Old Aereth, Aereth ages ago...?

Just as DCC RPG is inspired by the 'historical' antecedants of the Fantasy Role Play Gaming hobby, the 'native' game world for the DCC RPG would be in it's own way historical.

...It would allow known locations to be (p)re-visited with new(old) twists... along with exploration of hitherto unknown territories...

Just a thought.
Good idea :idea:
Sean Wills
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

Duuuuude.

Awesome!

I'm glad we thought of it....since we're really the same person.
Geoffrey
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Geoffrey »

That is a pretty cool idea. In the world long ago, magic was more uncertain, only much later becoming a "magical science" (a la 3.x edition magic).
Click here to purchase my five AD&D modules.
Each of these modules is self-contained. No other books are required other than the three AD&D rulebooks (or a similar set of rules if you prefer).
Click here to purchase prints of Luigi Castellani's cover art for these modules.
mshensley
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by mshensley »

I'd like to see Aereth done in the wilderlands style- you know, zoomed down to 5 mile hexes and focused on a smaller area around a big city. Campaign settings that give you whole worlds or continents don't help me very much. Like politics- all campaigns are local.
Last edited by mshensley on Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Geoffrey
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Geoffrey »

mshensley wrote:I'd like to see Aereth done in the wilderlands style- you know, zoomed down to 5 mile hexes...
I agree.
Click here to purchase my five AD&D modules.
Each of these modules is self-contained. No other books are required other than the three AD&D rulebooks (or a similar set of rules if you prefer).
Click here to purchase prints of Luigi Castellani's cover art for these modules.
geordie racer
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by geordie racer »

GnomeBoy wrote:Since Aereth has been defined under 3.x and 4e, what if the DCC RPG was Old Aereth, Aereth ages ago...?...It would allow known locations to be (p)re-visited with new(old) twists... along with exploration of hitherto unknown territories....
mshensley wrote:I'd like to see Aereth done in the wilderlands style- you know, zoomed down to 5 mile hexes and focused on a smaller area around a big city.
So, putting these two ideas together - When on the timeline and where on Old Aereth would you focus a campaign ?
Sean Wills
geordie racer
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by geordie racer »

The more books I read from Appendix N the more I believe that my ideal setting is probably a patchwork of dreamlands, planes, strange dimensions, alternate Earths, lost civilisations, and portals to other planets (Mars, Venus or Mongo) rather than just a single campaign world.

These would be more like 'pocket realms'* - small areas rather than whole countries mapped out - a city at the edge of time, the valley of the apelords, the asteroid moot-hall of the space vikings, the haunted house, a faerie realm, the post-apoc ruins. The variety would allow me to play with genre/tone and mood in simple broad strokes.

There are a whole host of ways that parties could travel to the other realms - gateways, rituals, spells gone wrong, magic items, ancient technology, the will of the gods, abduction.

I would probably start with a main sword and sorcery setting (maybe Aereth) - mapping it hex by hex or module-by-module - but if the play moves to another realm for an extended time so be it, I develop it further only if necessary, through play.

(*sounds like a digest-sized OSR best-seller waiting to happen)
Sean Wills
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Oooo -- I like that 'modular' world(s) idea a lot!

You could pick up the pieces in any order, only the ones you were interested in, and fit them together as you saw fit -- not to mention mating them to world guides and gazetteers and such that you already own...
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

mshensley wrote:I'd like to see Aereth done in the wilderlands style- you know, zoomed down to 5 mile hexes and focused on a smaller area around a big city. Campaign settings that give you whole worlds or continents don't help me very much. Like politics- all campaigns are local.
+1

That's the best way to run a world, in my opinion. Start out with a key centralized location (dungeon, city, town, whatever) and flesh out the wilderness surrounding it hex by hex.

An excellent suggestion!
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
geordie racer
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by geordie racer »

GnomeBoy wrote:Oooo -- I like that 'modular' world(s) idea a lot!

You could pick up the pieces in any order, only the ones you were interested in, and fit them together as you saw fit -- not to mention mating them to world guides and gazetteers and such that you already own...
Yes, I see this as it's strength, all those disparate modules/guides from different genres/systems can be be eased into (or collide into) the campaign as needed. There is no fully-fleshed out setting that one feels the group must must stick with.
Sean Wills

Return to “DCC RPG General”