How to create an interesting setting?

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

BanjoJohn
Deft-Handed Cutpurse
FLGS: there are a few but I dont really consider any of them as my main flgs

How to create an interesting setting?

Post by BanjoJohn »

Not that I don't enjoy other settings that are out there, but I have some ideas for an interesting new setting. At least I think its interesting. And I'm wondering what might be a viable minimum amount of information or setting specific rules and information is needed to make a good setting for people to enjoy playing games in?

I was thinking it would be generically.. space fantasy set in a single solar system where some combo of weird cosmic things, strange magic, etc, allow for travel between the moons and worlds. I guess I'm just not sure if I should be fleshing out the different worlds for conflict between those worlds, or just focus on the "home" world of the player faction and develop interesting raids/battles/conflict where the beings from other worlds are coming there to fight. I dunno, I guess I'm just looking for some guidance on building a setting, presenting it in multiple viable parts, or as one single large volume. etc.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Re: How to create an interesting setting?

Post by GnomeBoy »

I've been running a fair amount of Star Wars in the last year and a half -- where the difference between different climes and different planets is no difference at all!

So what crosses my mind here is that if you want to mix around the terrain which the campaign takes place across -- snowy mountains one week, deep jungles the next, broad windswept plains the week after -- then it doesn't matter too much one way or the other which approach you take, but why not take advantage of the many planets and moons you're proposing? That way you can mix in the dangers of crossing from one world to the next, as well as having truly alien terrain, giving the whole "playground" of the campaign endless variety. Go for the worlds!

As for setting that up, I started with about ten or a dozen loose ideas for worlds that I'd set everything on, and then when I needed something that went beyond those, I'd invent a new planet or moon as needed as we went along, which kept the advance workload low.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
BanjoJohn
Deft-Handed Cutpurse
FLGS: there are a few but I dont really consider any of them as my main flgs

Re: How to create an interesting setting?

Post by BanjoJohn »

Thanks for the help, I'll keep those ideas in mind.

Return to “DCC RPG General”