Just a thought I had while going into the grocery store

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Ozerulz
Wild-Eyed Zealot
FLGS: Gamers Haven

Just a thought I had while going into the grocery store

Post by Ozerulz »

Wouldn’t it be nice if the Boy Scouts we’re moving DCC merchandise instead of popcorn to raise money? They could host their own tournaments to raise money have Cons. Etc.
wouldn’t it be so much less annoying if they sold something that expanded their brains instead of popcorn?
Weird thought 5372
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Re: Just a thought I had while going into the grocery store

Post by GnomeBoy »

Yeah, I've heard often enough of folks playing RPGs with kids in school groups and elsewhere, but never specifically with Scouts.

I wasn't a Scout myself, and we didn't get into it with my son -- I wonder if there's something about scouting families that has them thinking they're anti-RPGs...
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
tacojohn
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: Hero Complex

Re: Just a thought I had while going into the grocery store

Post by tacojohn »

Well, it’s not exactly a replacement for the annual BSA popcorn fundraisers, but here in south central Kansas, we have ScoutCon, an annual event hosted by our Quivira Council that brings Boy Scouts and tabletop gaming together for a fun weekend in the fall. 2019 marks our 3rd year of ScoutCon. I’m kind of an at-large member of the event team and general programming advisor (I’m not an official Scouting leader, just one of many volunteers.)

https://quivira.org/camping-with-quivira/scoutcon/

I showcased a number of OSR games at ScoutCon I in 2017, and will again be running DCC exclusively at ScoutCon this year. Black Blade Publishing has provided a lot of support for the con, especially for the swag bags (providing Gongfarmer’s Almanacs, DCC Reference Booklets, DCC Quick Start Rules, dice, and other swag). Several other, larger, game companies also provide lots of product support: Chaosium, Steve Jackson Games, WotC, etc.

ScoutCon hosts RPGs, boardgames, card games, and a host of other Scout-related activities, along with an opportunity to attend a camping-filled weekend.

Our ScoutCon has also inspired clones. Another BSA Council, in Colorado, has been working on setting up their own ScoutCon using our programming content as a baseline.

Return to “DCC RPG General”