Convention Game Advice

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

zorbal
Gongfarmer
FLGS: Great Escape Games

Convention Game Advice

Post by zorbal »

So I’m thinking of running a convention game at ConQuest in Sacramento.

I have run a few HackMaster and D&D games at cons before, so I’m mostly looking for advice specific to DCC (but am not adverse to picking up general advice either!).

I imagine most players would be new to DCC, and could even be new to the hobby altogether.

Do you recommend running a funnel of 0-levels, 1st level, or another level altogether?

Of course we’ll use pre-generated characters, but I’m intrigued by the scratch-off sheets. Has anyone used these at a Con to speed up play but still have a feeling of character generation for the players?

Thanks!
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Re: Convention Game Advice

Post by finarvyn »

I have found that folks just LOVE the 0-level funnel and I always start my intro games there. If I know that I have an experienced crowd I might go for higher levels, but otherwise I default to the zeroes. 8)
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

I have run Funnels and low-level games at Cons. I'm not sure it matters which, overall -- unless you have a feel for the venue. If you think there will be a population of people that have heard of DCC, they have probably already heard of the Funnel and might enjoy playing through one.

I've always had folks new to DCC at my Con games, and they seem to pick it up pretty quickly.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.

Return to “DCC RPG General”