New player - what happened pre-66.5?

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

l'amour
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: Wargames Emporium / Patriot Games / Treehouse Cafe

New player - what happened pre-66.5?

Post by l'amour »

Hello

New DCC player here. Running my first game tonight (Sailors on the Starless Sea).
I've been looking through adventures to pick up if it goes well and I was wondering
what happened before adventure 66.5? Did the system change and make the previous
adventures obsolete or are they just staying out of print?

Just curious! Cheers!
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Re: New player - what happened pre-66.5?

Post by finarvyn »

Goodman Games has been producing modules for a long time. Most trace back to the days of 3E/d20 Dungeons & Dragons, a few were written for 4E. These modules can be converted, but they were never intended to be used for the DCC RPG game rules.

Starting with 66.5 the modules were written with a different philosophy and specifically with the DCC RPG in mind. The philosophy in part comes down to the elimination of the "generic monster" in a scenario and instead tries to focus on unique monsters and unusual situations, much the way old school "Appendix N" books were written and much the way the DCC RPG rulebook itself is written.

So … can you use the older stuff with the newer rules sets? Yes, but it requires some conversion on the part of the GM. Also, you will find that the older modules tend to be more "traditional" than the recent ones. Whether that is a good thing or a bad thing probably comes down to the style of the GM.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
l'amour
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: Wargames Emporium / Patriot Games / Treehouse Cafe

Re: New player - what happened pre-66.5?

Post by l'amour »

I seeee.

Cheers bud!

Return to “DCC RPG General”