Hello all

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Fantacide
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: Myth Adventures

Hello all

Post by Fantacide »

Hi everyone!

I apologize in advance for the long backstory :P

I was raised a pastor's kid in central pennsylvania during the mid 80's and 90's, and role playing games were an absolutely forbidden thing for me. My town was so small that I had to have a secret library card so that I could check out books without my mother or parish finding out. :lol: I never got the chance to play an RPG until I hit high school, and even then I had to travel about 45 minutes to play in a 3e RPGA
living campaign. I still remember my mom finding my blue RPGA card in my wallet, and I assured her it was for "Regional Programs (for) Graduate Applicants".

I eventually left for the military and played off and on with different systems for a few years. I remember seeing the 3E DCC modules in a local shop and thinking how cool they looked. I never ended up purchasing one though, as I never had a solid group, and they probably wouldn't want something so "old school". I eventually walked away from gaming altogether due to work and having three daughters. I could never find the time or group that I needed, so I figured it was a lost cause.

I retired from the military 2 years ago, and was having a hard time interacting with others and being in social situations due to some issues. It was a burden on my family, and I really didn't do a whole lot of anything.

I then came across Dungeon Crawl Classics.

It was like an absolute blast from the past. The art, and and the general feeling of the whole game, made me feel like I was sneaking old copies of TSR books from my childhood library.
I liked the fact that it did not hold your hand, and put a bigger focus on exploration other than being bogged down with hour long tactical combats. I liked the fact that it relied more on player skill instead of having rolls for everything. Most of all, i liked that it made ME feel better. The 2018 road crew games seemed like a super cool idea, and something that I could do. I decided to take the plunge, and contact a local comic shop to see if they would let me run a weekly game. I made sure that it was advertised publically through their store and on social media, as this forced me to be there every week even if I wanted to just stay home. So far we are on week, 6 and my players are having an amazing time with a game style different than what they are used to. It also has allowed me to teach my daughters something I am passionate about, and has allowed me to re-connect with them in a way that's good for all of us.

So this wall of text and (if I may say so, sappy :roll: ) introduction has two goals. I'm glad I can join in with a community of like minded role players, and to tell Goodman Games,

Thank you.

Hope to meet everybody at the tables someday!!!!
TheDiceMustRoll
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Quantum Games

[deleted]

Post by TheDiceMustRoll »

[deleted]

Return to “DCC RPG General”