New to DCC. Question about core book.

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Volrath
Gongfarmer
FLGS: Kaissa

New to DCC. Question about core book.

Post by Volrath »

Hello!

I am an old school player (DM for the most time) and DCC is my latest rulesystem of choice.
After a successful run of "Portal Under The Stars" I decided to get the core book of DCC (btw, my players loved it, too).
Unfortunately when I tried to order it from Goodman Games online shop I noticed the HUGE shipping costs for countries outside US.
After a bit of research I managed to find the book in European e-shops.

My question is a about printings as I found two versions of the book.
The first one is a hardcover with publication date of 2012 and the second one is a softcover with publication date of 2017.
What printings are these? Are there any differences?
I always prefer the hardback editions of huge books, but 5 years between the publication dates seems too much.

Thanks in advance! Keep on rolling your dice! :)
Last edited by Volrath on Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Re: New to DCC. Question about core book.

Post by finarvyn »

There were probably some typo fixes, but overall I think that the rules are pretty much the same from one printing to the next. I bought the first few cover options because I liked the covers, but when I play it's pretty much always using one of my first printing copies because I happen to like it the best and any "changes" along the way are so minimal as to not matter to me.

I'd say go with the layout you like best. I like hardbacks better, too. 8)
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
Jim Skach
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Jim Skach »

DCC is a relatively unique system in that there have been no major changes to the "core" rules (that I can think of) since its first publication. As the inestimable Finarvyn notes, other than typos and a few minor errata, the printings are virtually the same from a rules perspective. This is a feature, not a bug - and was a goal from the outset (as far as I know).

It's amazing when you consider it's growth in popularity - particularly in the last couple of years - given this approach.

Quality Matters.

I go for both, btw. I have the nice shiny hardcovers that I admire on my shelf, and then I have four or five softcovers for the table
Volrath
Gongfarmer
FLGS: Kaissa

Post by Volrath »

Thanks for the replies!

Seems I am going for the hardback one :)

Return to “DCC RPG General”