Wights

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Hermes Serpent
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: None

Wights

Post by Hermes Serpent »

Converting D&D and AD&D mods for use with DCC I see that Wights turn up from time to time. Now they were one of the most feared monsters with their level drain but DCC doesn't use level drain as a mechanism so I wondered what people are doing to replace Wights with something fairly terrifying but DCC compatible?
Ducaster
Hard-Bitten Adventurer
FLGS: Athena Games Norwich.

Re: Wights

Post by Ducaster »

Hmm well yeah, no official "wights" but DCC is very good about customising undead.

A device I have used is that of an undead that drains XP points. Now I didn't cause the players hit to forfeit actual levels but I did make it clear they'd have to earn back or have magically restored back the "negative XP" before they could progress further.

That seemed to work, and did put the fear of the creature into them which was the desired effect? I assumed a Cleric could use a Divine intervention to restore lost XP in full to a character. A "mere" lay on hands shouldn't cut it in my personal opinion.

So bolt that ability on a 4-5HD critter with some "standard" undead immunities/vulnerabilities and you have a fair Wight substitute perhaps?
{Standard Disclaimer} If it was mentioned already and I missed it, please put this down to my advanced age and senility rather than discourtesy!
My DCC games work site is here http://www.dcc.aweninspired.com/?page_id=1869 Use my forum name here as the Password
Mutatis Mundi Game Cha sheet here http://www.dcc.aweninspired.com/wp-cont ... 3.4.18.pdf
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Have them drain Luck.

That'd be terrifying!
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Ducaster
Hard-Bitten Adventurer
FLGS: Athena Games Norwich.

Post by Ducaster »

GnomeBoy wrote:Have them drain Luck.

That'd be terrifying!
Oh wow CLOWN Wights you evil bugger!

I like it!
{Standard Disclaimer} If it was mentioned already and I missed it, please put this down to my advanced age and senility rather than discourtesy!
My DCC games work site is here http://www.dcc.aweninspired.com/?page_id=1869 Use my forum name here as the Password
Mutatis Mundi Game Cha sheet here http://www.dcc.aweninspired.com/wp-cont ... 3.4.18.pdf
James Mishler
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by James Mishler »

From d20 SRD:

Create Spawn (Su): Any humanoid slain by a wight becomes a wight in 1d4 rounds. Spawn are under the command of the wight that created them and remain enslaved until its death. They do not possess any of the abilities they had in life.

Energy Drain (Su): Living creatures hit by a wight’s slam attack gain one negative level. The DC is 14 for the Fortitude save to remove a negative level. The save DC is Charisma-based. For each such negative level bestowed, the wight gains 5 temporary hit points.

Slam deals 1d4+1 points of damage plus energy drain.

For DCC, I would go with:

Init +1
Atk slam +4 melee (1d4 points of damage, plus drain effect, see below)
AC 6
HD 4d12
MV 30'
Act 1d20
SP Undead traits, Drain Effect, Infravision 120', Damage Reduction 4
SV Fort +1, Ref +2, Will +2
AL C

Drain Effect (roll for each wight or group of wights)
All require a DC 14 save to regain level/points/etc., after 24 hours, otherwise permanently lost
1. One level (Fort)
2. 1d4 points of Strength (Fort)
3. 1d4 points of Agility (Ref)
4. 1d4 points of Stamina (Fort)
5. 1d4 points of Personality (Will)
6. 1d4 points of Intelligence (Will)
7. 1d4 points of Luck (Will)
8. 1d4 years of life (1d6: 1-3 age, 4-6 grow younger) (Fort)
9. 1d4 spells of random levels known (if not a spell-caster then Luck) (Will)
10. 1d3 Action Dice steps down (Fort)
11. 1d3 Major Life Memories (Will)
12. One random Sense (d5: 1 Touch, 2 Smell, 3 Taste, 4 Hearing, 5 Sight) (Ref)

If slain by such effects, rise three days later as a wight with the same drain effect.
James Mishler
Personal Gameblog: http://adventuresingaming2.blogspot.com
Hermes Serpent
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: None

Post by Hermes Serpent »

Thanks guys, all useful responses. Might go with ATTR drain as that fits with both the D&D original and is custom for DCC. The XP thing is a not so much fun (for the Judge) as my players are struggling up to second level (levelling up next week) and I'd hate to push them back down a level so soon. Although the thought of just taking the XP and not the level making the next level say 10% harder to reach basically if they have 53 XP and need 110 to reach 3rd level I could take 5XP and they'd need another 62XP to be 3rd. That seems a bit too fiddly and the ATTR drain floats my boat as a mechanism.

Ta muchly James.

Nigel

Return to “DCC RPG General”