Advanced Dungeon Crawl Classics?

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

RabidWookie
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Advanced Dungeon Crawl Classics?

Post by RabidWookie »

I love DCC but it's turned out to be a little too barebones and basic for my group. We'd absolutely love to see DCC's incredible foundation built upon with more fleshed out advanced rules. Has anyone heard of any ideas or plans for an official Advanced DCC supplement or rulebook?
TheDiceMustRoll
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Quantum Games

[deleted]

Post by TheDiceMustRoll »

[deleted]
Last edited by TheDiceMustRoll on Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RabidWookie
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Re: Advanced Dungeon Crawl Classics?

Post by RabidWookie »

TheDiceMustRoll wrote:
RabidWookie wrote:I love DCC but it's turned out to be a little too barebones and basic for my group. We'd absolutely love to see DCC's incredible foundation built upon with more fleshed out advanced rules. Has anyone heard of any ideas or plans for an official Advanced DCC supplement or rulebook?
.....why?
Why what?
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

RabidWookie wrote:I love DCC but it's turned out to be a little too barebones and basic for my group. We'd absolutely love to see DCC's incredible foundation built upon with more fleshed out advanced rules. Has anyone heard of any ideas or plans for an official Advanced DCC supplement or rulebook?
Advanced rules for what, exactly?
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Rick
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
FLGS: Gateway Games & More

Post by Rick »

Some of Joseph’s design goals were to use 3x era rules, stripped of complexities like feats, attacks of opportunity, miniatures and battle-mats, etc, to run games that had the same “feel” as OD&D sessions back in the 1970s. So I do not think an Advanced version is in the works, at least not from Goodman Games.
Fenris Ulfhamr
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
FLGS: -

Post by Fenris Ulfhamr »

that being said, there are a lot of great 3rd party products you can get to make it as advanced as you like- and it's easy enough to port in rules from other systems.

Black Kylessa (c) LV 2 Wizard (orphan)
Str7/8 (-1) Agi17(+2) Sta9(0) Per6(-1) Int15(+1) Luc15(+1) AC13 (padded armor, fumble d8) HP7 Sling+2 (1d4-1) or dagger+/-1 (1d4-1) Spd30 Init+2 R+3 F0 W0 Ragdoll (Mara), Pony, 48cp 602gp Common, Chaos, Halfling, Dwarven
Animal Summoning 64 Wealful/Woeful magic (erupts from the earth),Charm Person 83 Blue Star (black beam), Runic Alphabet, Mortal 43 no change, Spider Climb 53 no change (six extra eyes),Magic Missle 94 Fine Control (meteors),Chill Touch 50 no change (skeletal hands)
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Fenris Ulfhamr wrote:that being said, there are a lot of great 3rd party products you can get to make it as advanced as you like- and it's easy enough to port in rules from other systems.
That's why I asked what he was specifically looking for!

:D
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
RabidWookie
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by RabidWookie »

Raven_Crowking wrote:
Advanced rules for what, exactly?
Separate class and race, more character building options, dominion and stronghold building/management rules, proficiencies, etc. Essentially, a version of DCC based on AD&D instead of OD&D.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

RabidWookie wrote:Separate class and race
People have done it. There are now multiple classes for dwarves, elves, and halflings, though, in various resources. "Race as class" is a design aesthetic, I believe, intended to allow human dominance and intended to keep the demi-humans from being just like the humans (but better). The best option, I believe, for separating race from class can be found here: http://ravencrowking.blogspot.ca/2012/1 ... evels.html
more character building options
The design of DCC is that you build your character through play, rather than selecting from a menu. As a result, the options for characters are literally limitless. The only things standing in the way are (1) what the judge will allow, and (2) what the player is willing to risk.

There are many classes available now, including ones in free resources like blogs and the Gongfarmer's Almanac. I now go one further, and let players design their own classes for particular characters if they want. The class design has to get my approval, though. http://noahms456.blogspot.ca/2014/07/3r ... -list.html

I guess to answer better, I would have to know what character options you want. Be aware, though, that character "building" options are intentionally avoided in DCC. You build your character through play, as with the original game through 1st Edition AD&D.
dominion and stronghold building/management rules
There are a plethora of such rule systems available, most of which can be used with DCC with few (or no) changes. I would recommend the AD&D 1e DMG for basics. Still, I wouldn't mind seeing a DCC-specific set of rules for domain play.
proficiencies
See above for notes on menu options. In DCC, your occupation and class determine your basic proficiencies, with events during play modifying these as determined by the judge. Nothing prevents you from adding in proficiencies from 2e or the 1e Dungeoneer's and Wilderness Survival Guides. If you do so, though, I would be careful not to add those proficiencies that model common adventuring tasks, as they are assumed in the game's design. I would also caution you to use them as rewards for play, rather than as things players merely choose. For an example of how this can work, see The Seven Deadly Skills of Sir Amoral the Misbegotten. http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/117 ... isbegotten
Essentially, a version of DCC based on AD&D instead of OD&D.
I honestly think that DCC was based, in part, on a "best of" Gygaxian D&D. Occupations, for instance, have a definite relationship to the Secondary Skills of the AD&D 1e DMG. So, in that sense, you already have your wish.

Remember that this is a game that is designed to be expanded upon in whatever way you want. In some places, I think you will find, the author has attempted to force you to expand upon it. Bend, fold, spindle, and mutilate. Make it your own!
SoBH pbp:

Scatonaut
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Fantasiapelit

Post by Scatonaut »

For what it is worth, I myself am currently in the process of writing an "Advanced DCC RPG" rule-set, to be published in some format or another. But as the Dark Master himself quoth in the rulebook, the reader is encouraged to fill in the gaps as he sees fit, e.g. skills, feats, more complex combat options and the like. If the original poster finds the DCC RPG rules lacking in certain aspects, it should be easy enough to incorporate mechanics from other d20 systems...my personal choices would include D&D 3.x/5/Pathfinder and even Burning Wheel and such...to achieve the end result of a subjectively "perfect" rules set for my own GMing needs.

Having just (re)read Role-Playing Mastery by the Elder God Gygax, I'd have to disagree with the notion of the DCC RPG being "Gygaxian", at least when it comes to lethality. Gygax opposes "killer games" and advocates the survival (not by fudged dice rolls) of carefully crafted and beloved PC's in order to have fulfilling campaign games. The Dark Master's vision, in my estimation, is more suited to tournament and one-off play...and may indeed be faithful to Appendix N fantasy. But not so much to "normal" regular RPG campaigns. Off-topic :twisted:
Scatonaut
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Fantasiapelit

Post by Scatonaut »

For whom it may concern, here are my "Advanced" DCC RPG (aka ADCC) rules, version 0.9: http://knightsinthenorth.blog/2017/11/2 ... rpg-rules/
VengerSatanis
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by VengerSatanis »

Sounds a bit like the original HackMaster RPG. Lots of complexity and crunch while still having a slightly gonzo, old school vibe. Maybe you can borrow some ideas from it to include in your DCC game?

VS
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Scatonaut wrote:Having just (re)read Role-Playing Mastery by the Elder God Gygax, I'd have to disagree with the notion of the DCC RPG being "Gygaxian", at least when it comes to lethality. Gygax opposes "killer games" and advocates the survival (not by fudged dice rolls) of carefully crafted and beloved PC's in order to have fulfilling campaign games. The Dark Master's vision, in my estimation, is more suited to tournament and one-off play...and may indeed be faithful to Appendix N fantasy. But not so much to "normal" regular RPG campaigns. Off-topic :twisted:
While death is always possible in DCC, once a PC has hit 1st level, he's actually pretty hard to kill, and the chances of survival go up with each level. Moreover, if you read the core rulebook, even a TPK doesn't mean that the characters' story ends - you can give them a chance to fight their way out of hell!

I find DCC eminently suitable for campaign play.
SoBH pbp:

Return to “DCC RPG General”