new to dcc rpg have questions.

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Soapstone
Gongfarmer
FLGS: High Gear games and Hobbies

new to dcc rpg have questions.

Post by Soapstone »

i got the quick start guide from free rpg day back in july, and i bought the standard core 4e HC rule book for $40.

it looks like a very fun system and i would love to play, i am not sure who is near where i live that also plays the game, most seem to play standard d&d or pathfinder. I posted in one of my local fb forums for geeky things that i would like to play and looking for people to play, is there anything more i can do?

I am slowly reading through the book as I keep getting distracted by video games and tv/movies, I have scanned through the 2 sample quests in the back of the book, and have started writing a quest of my own to see how it works, based on what i am looking at with the 2 samples given. How do i know if i am doing it right?
Fenris Ulfhamr
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
FLGS: -

Re: new to dcc rpg have questions.

Post by Fenris Ulfhamr »

If you and your group are having fun, you are doing it right!
I've started campaigns in three different states since i started DCC and usually get things going quickly in a new place. For players of other editions I emphasize the streamlined open ruleset and highlight the fun things that make DCC unique (Mighty Deeds, Mercurial Magic, and spell checks).
For altogether new players (and girlfriends, parents, siblings of seasoned players) I point out the simplicity of the rules, offer pregen characters to try out, and remind them that your zeroes aren't expected to know anything about the gameworld that you don't- they ain't heroes yet!
I recomend running a couple modules (Portal Under the Stars & Sailors on the Starless Sea are great starts) and weave them together into a campaign, altering as needed. You'll be writing your own in no time!
Have fun and tell us how it goes!

Black Kylessa (c) LV 2 Wizard (orphan)
Str7/8 (-1) Agi17(+2) Sta9(0) Per6(-1) Int15(+1) Luc15(+1) AC13 (padded armor, fumble d8) HP7 Sling+2 (1d4-1) or dagger+/-1 (1d4-1) Spd30 Init+2 R+3 F0 W0 Ragdoll (Mara), Pony, 48cp 602gp Common, Chaos, Halfling, Dwarven
Animal Summoning 64 Wealful/Woeful magic (erupts from the earth),Charm Person 83 Blue Star (black beam), Runic Alphabet, Mortal 43 no change, Spider Climb 53 no change (six extra eyes),Magic Missle 94 Fine Control (meteors),Chill Touch 50 no change (skeletal hands)
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Soapstone wrote:How do i know if i am doing it right?
DCC is very swingy and unpredictable.

It puts a lot of focus on what actually happens at the table, where the die rolls can heavily influence the game. Make sure the players have some understanding of this before you start. They may need to run away sometimes. Then again, they may easily knock down something very tough. With Luck, they have the option to steer die rolls in their favor, if they choose.

Your question is pretty broad, so that answer is broad, too.

If you have a more specific question, let's hear it... :wink:
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Soapstone
Gongfarmer
FLGS: High Gear games and Hobbies

Post by Soapstone »

the biggest problem is i am not really finding anyone interested in playing it.

as for the template adventures, the quickstart guide has portal under the stars and the gnoll home (i think it is called). and my rule book has a different lvl 1 adventure (can't remember what it is atm). i am using the adventures included as a template for writing my own campaign as i mentioned. and i am just finishing up the classes/races chapter of the book so as I read through it, i will edit my adventure i am writing.
Fenris Ulfhamr
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
FLGS: -

Post by Fenris Ulfhamr »

Run a demo day with pizza/prizes/whatever, make flyers, hang out and talk the game up and get people excited! I used to promote metal bands, so if the above doesn't work just push 'em IN THE PIT! :twisted: :mrgreen:

Black Kylessa (c) LV 2 Wizard (orphan)
Str7/8 (-1) Agi17(+2) Sta9(0) Per6(-1) Int15(+1) Luc15(+1) AC13 (padded armor, fumble d8) HP7 Sling+2 (1d4-1) or dagger+/-1 (1d4-1) Spd30 Init+2 R+3 F0 W0 Ragdoll (Mara), Pony, 48cp 602gp Common, Chaos, Halfling, Dwarven
Animal Summoning 64 Wealful/Woeful magic (erupts from the earth),Charm Person 83 Blue Star (black beam), Runic Alphabet, Mortal 43 no change, Spider Climb 53 no change (six extra eyes),Magic Missle 94 Fine Control (meteors),Chill Touch 50 no change (skeletal hands)
LeMaster of the Wise
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: Adventure Gaming

Post by LeMaster of the Wise »

Meetup worked well for me.
LeMaster of the Wise
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: Adventure Gaming

Post by LeMaster of the Wise »

Yeah, I find it hard to get people to play anything other than Pathfinder or D&D.
soulcatcher78
Wild-Eyed Zealot
FLGS: Game Knight

Post by soulcatcher78 »

If you've got an FLGS that sells the product they might be able to help you set up a demo game (at the store) so that you can start putting a group of interested people together. Once you have one or two solid players they can help fill the table by spreading the word.

Return to “DCC RPG General”