Need Useful Tips For Playing DCC

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

MithrilDice
Gongfarmer
FLGS: Silverwolf Comics

Need Useful Tips For Playing DCC

Post by MithrilDice »

My friends and I are going to try using the DCC rules on an upcoming campaign of ours. I'll be GMing. We've all played D&D 5e since it was released, so we're not total noobs to tabletop RPGs.

Basically, I am looking for any useful tips or advice that will help me run the best game for my players that I possibly can. I'm just about through reading the rulebook. Also, we will be playing the adventure "Sailors on the Starless Sea." I've read that it's pretty good for players new to the system. If you could give me your thoughts on that adventure as well that would be greatly appreciated!
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Re: Need Useful Tips For Playing DCC

Post by GnomeBoy »

I've played a little 5e, so if that's where you're coming from I will say this:

Don't expect every possible thing to be covered by the rules. Like, 5e has a big list of "conditions" (deafened, prone, frightened, sleepy, grumpy, doc ...oh wait, ...sorry), which in DCC are not defined game-mechanically. You're expected to just make stuff up on how a character is or isn't affected when it's not otherwise provided. Use common sense. Make stuff up in general.

And above all, use the Dice Chain whenever it would help with making stuff up. For example, Someone's got their hand's tied behind their back, but wants to pick a lock... Bump their Action Die down the Dice Chain a step or two to reflect the increased difficulty. Bumping up the Dice Chain when someone has some kind of edge on the situation is cool, too.

Also, LUCK. Make use of Luck. A random monster pops up and chomps one of the characters? But which one should you pick? Unless the monster or the particular characters (based on their actions, maybe) gives you an obvious answer, just zonk the dude with the lowest Luck score. "Sorry, Charlie, the land-piranha is biting YOU!"

Luck is also a reward, which you can give out at the end of a session, or even during a session if someone does something especially cool or creative.

That should get you started.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Ducaster
Hard-Bitten Adventurer
FLGS: Athena Games Norwich.

Re: Need Useful Tips For Playing DCC

Post by Ducaster »

First up. GOOD LUCK !!

As I have now had a couple of sessions (basically finishing a funnel adventure I wrote: 11 Deaths from starting field of 24 0 Levels BTW) The evil simplicity of DCC is coming back to me after a break of several years.

Such as they are My tips:
* Read the "Admonitions" My players are crystal clear that they live or die by the dice here. there will be no Fudging: screw up or push your luck you are Dead...
* Keep Magic items RARE RARE RARE! Introduce a Non Magic "Masterwork" item here and there if you must but actual magic comes from the players or NPC's There should be no "Golf Bag of magic swords" here.
* Keep the players POOR POOR POOR! I decided to basically downgrade to a silver economy for my return campaign. Changed my old notes that I was re using from GP value to Sp Value, BUT kept the prices in the Rues unchanged.. Might help you too set a different tone to a D&D session. IDK try it or discard it, its your game make it yours :)
* Discourage the "What do I roll to do...." attitude. As Gnomeboy said other systems (TM) have loads of rules, here its better to make the players ROLE PLAY how they are opening that Lock or Searching that room etc. if they describe it well Do not Roll ANYTHING. Give them an answer based on their skilled descriptions. Rogues are the exception if they wanna perform they don't have to sketch it out they may just rely on a dice throw, but even their I have pointed out repeatedly the DC will be easier if they explain what they are doing in detail.

Apart from that dive in an see. Enjoy the crit & fumble results especially... Oh and one last thing; if you are unsure HOW to ward luck initially keep a track of how many 20's & 1's everybody rolls (I use Tally marks) if somebody gets to 10 1's BEFORE they get to 10 20's I give em a point of luck and reset the tally. If they get 20's first they I just reset their tally, I don't penalise them further.
{Standard Disclaimer} If it was mentioned already and I missed it, please put this down to my advanced age and senility rather than discourtesy!
My DCC games work site is here http://www.dcc.aweninspired.com/?page_id=1869 Use my forum name here as the Password
Mutatis Mundi Game Cha sheet here http://www.dcc.aweninspired.com/wp-cont ... 3.4.18.pdf

Return to “DCC RPG General”