Just curioius do people have campaigns that go past level 5?

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

mutazoid
Wild-Eyed Zealot
FLGS: Comic Connection

Just curioius do people have campaigns that go past level 5?

Post by mutazoid »

I heard when DCC was first being designed the idea was to retire the characters at level 5.
Finished product has rules up to level 10 but I was wondering do anyone actually play past level 5?
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Re: Just curioius do people have campaigns that go past leve

Post by Raven_Crowking »

I have played past level 5.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Gameogre
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Gameogre »

We have had 2 players make it to 10th level. Several more that made it to the 8-9th mark.

The vast majority that make it out of the low levels either die or retire by 5-7th level but we just have no house rule that enforces that or anything. People often just get protective of their characters and once they have enough riches to live a life of wealth or they have defeated the evil duke and once again the area is in good hands they retire.
bighara
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by bighara »

I would be curious how folks would rate the power levels of characters that get past what I consider "mid-range" (4-6th ish).

Coming more from a Classic B/X background, I think of PCs as pretty darned fragile even at higher levels. The biggest differences at higher levels are better saves and access to magical healing. NTM things like Raise Dead.

How many normal* orcs or whatever does it take to really scare a 3rd level DCC warrior? 5th? 8th?

* I'm aware that DCC discourages "normal" monsters, but YKWIM. :)
"Bighara RULES!" -Ogrepuppy

"Well, that's just genius." :D -GnomeBoy
Gameogre
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Gameogre »

I use normal monsters. Granted my normal monsters like the orc are created by wizards in a huge vat or are a more advanced version and have breeding pits as well as often will have mutations ect..

DCCRPG always remains a deadly game. Even at 10th level lower level monsters in numbers can take a pc down pretty fast when compared to other rpg's.

That said, DCCRPG PC's can become significantly more powerful than there other fantasy counterparts especially the Wizards but it isn't limited to them.

Partly this is because magic items for DCCRPG tend to be very strong. While some games might have your high level warrior have a flaming magical sword that has a nice bonus to hit and damage as well as does fire damage.......in DCCRPG that sword might have a demon trapped inside and feed on souls rewarding its wielder with increased strength and increased hit points for every being slain by the sword.

Magic spells and items just seem much more bad ass and over 10 friggin levels the pc's end up with ungodly powerful arsenals.

On the other hand....high level pc's are just flat out more rare.

A lot of games seem to be made so that the default for going on a adventure is the pc's gain treasure and experience, only dealing with death or failure if the pc's do something really stupid or just have a long run of bad luck.

In DCCRPG the default is death and dismemberment and in order to survive you not only need skill but above all, you need LUCK. The law of averages with dice rolls is against you.

ok back on topic.....a 6th + DCCRPG character is about equal to a 15th D&D 5E character but keep in mind the 5E DM Hates you for sleeping with his wife and must kill your character in the most foul way possible in order to humiliate you and regain his honor. Also your pretty sure he has Call of Cthulhu rpg open and is converting monsters out of it on the fly while your stomach churns and threatens to hurl the 5th of Vodka you downed last bathroom break all over the table.
losloris
Hard-Bitten Adventurer
FLGS: trig

Post by losloris »

I am a first edition DM who, with few exceptions, played campaigns. How often do characters die in your sessions?

The current campaign is nearing its fourth anniversary with four deaths, three in the Vault of the Dragon Kings.

Losloris
Playwithbob
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Playwithbob »

The game I'm running is stable at 6 players. We have been playing 2x a month for the last 6 months.

The party currently consists of 1 character that is 2nd lvl, 4 1st lvl guys and a whole host of 0 lvls. About 35% of the characters go down each session.

5th lvl is a dream at this point.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

I have played with higher-level PCs. It is just as fun....and if you give the PCs property, you can make their adventures far more personal. At 6th level, the cleric is the spiritual leader of the community, and the warrior has the right to dispense justice in the Duke's name.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Gameogre
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Gameogre »

I have no idea how many have died in my game. We stopped counting long long ago. I would guess the number of pc deaths would be in the hundreds. I remember some weekends with 30-40 dead characters from funnels.

My knuckle dragging players are infamously stupid though. No really. More than once have they filled up pit traps with dead characters.

Even once they reach the heights of 1-3rd level they often keep dozens of 0 level trapfinders on hand to assist them.
Ozerulz
Wild-Eyed Zealot
FLGS: Gamers Haven

Post by Ozerulz »

This is an old thread but a topic I see repeated quite a bit when DCC is discussed. There’s an element of GWAR Slaughterama which seems to hinder play beyond 5th level. Personally I think DCC is the best thing to happen to RPGs since Gary Gygax but I’ll be honest in that the gonzo slaughterama mentality seems to be a hinderance. I am curious how those that have played DCC for a long time have dealt with this? Do you just roll with it and keep making new characters 20-30 times a year? If you have been able to players going to 10th level how did you keep them going from 5th to 10th?
One of the great aspects of this game is it’s complete open endedness. Only one core book that hints at what may be and leaves it up to the DM to decide what direction to take their own campaigns.
BanjoJohn
Deft-Handed Cutpurse
FLGS: there are a few but I dont really consider any of them as my main flgs

Post by BanjoJohn »

We don't usually last past level 3... and its usually the dungeons themselves or falling damage from trying to climb or something else other than fighting a lot of stuff. I wouldn't mind more combat as a matter of fact.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

You keep going past level 5 by tying the PCs into the campaign setting .... same thing that tends to happen in Appendix N fiction. Move the PCs from worrying about small adventures into running (part of) the world.
SoBH pbp:

Gameogre
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Gameogre »

Ozerulz wrote:This is an old thread but a topic I see repeated quite a bit when DCC is discussed. There’s an element of GWAR Slaughterama which seems to hinder play beyond 5th level. Personally I think DCC is the best thing to happen to RPGs since Gary Gygax but I’ll be honest in that the gonzo slaughterama mentality seems to be a hinderance. I am curious how those that have played DCC for a long time have dealt with this? Do you just roll with it and keep making new characters 20-30 times a year? If you have been able to players going to 10th level how did you keep them going from 5th to 10th?
One of the great aspects of this game is it’s complete open endedness. Only one core book that hints at what may be and leaves it up to the DM to decide what direction to take their own campaigns.

A lot of it is the attitudes of the players and person running the game.

At 0 level my players throw caution tot he wind and have the create 0 level party group program on speed dial.
At 1st level they are more protective but not really much different.
At 2nd level they become much more cautious, often with henchman and lower level characters in protection mode.
At 3rd Level They are playing with a much greater eye to survival and often start doing crazy out of the box thinking to keep their lives protected.
At 4th+ It's on. They huddle up and play smarter and make long and short term plans and ALWAYS either have the battle tilted HUGE in their favor or one foot out the door.

My attitude as the guy running the game is:
0 Level "I got to kill em all"
1st "I bet I can get this guy"
2nd "Ok lets see how they handle THIS!"
3rd "Lets see how much I can throw at them before they cry"
4th "Wow they did it! Congrats! Better stay on your toes"
5th-6th "Ok now, you had your fun. You did Good! Relax and take a load off! Trust me!"
7th "Alright, This is as far as you go."
8th" Dude your making me look bad! Fine...take that! and this....and one of these!"
9th *Panic "Die Die Die! Die Die Die!"
10 *Desperation ** Enters bomb shelter ***Prays for the billions who died in Collateral damage.
Ozerulz
Wild-Eyed Zealot
FLGS: Gamers Haven

Post by Ozerulz »

Gameogre wrote:
Ozerulz wrote:This is an old thread but a topic I see repeated quite a bit when DCC is discussed. There’s an element of GWAR Slaughterama which seems to hinder play beyond 5th level. Personally I think DCC is the best thing to happen to RPGs since Gary Gygax but I’ll be honest in that the gonzo slaughterama mentality seems to be a hinderance. I am curious how those that have played DCC for a long time have dealt with this? Do you just roll with it and keep making new characters 20-30 times a year? If you have been able to players going to 10th level how did you keep them going from 5th to 10th?

A lot of it is the attitudes of the players and person running the game.

At 0 level my players throw caution tot he wind and have the create 0 level party group program on speed dial.
At 1st level they are more protective but not really much different.
At 2nd level they become much more cautious, often with henchman and lower level characters in protection mode.
At 3rd Level They are playing with a much greater eye to survival and often start doing crazy out of the box thinking to keep their lives protected.
At 4th+ It's on. They huddle up and play smarter and make long and short term plans and ALWAYS either have the battle tilted HUGE in their favor or one foot out the door.

My attitude as the guy running the game is:
0 Level "I got to kill em all"
1st "I bet I can get this guy"
2nd "Ok lets see how they handle THIS!"
3rd "Lets see how much I can throw at them before they cry"
4th "Wow they did it! Congrats! Better stay on your toes"
5th-6th "Ok now, you had your fun. You did Good! Relax and take a load off! Trust me!"
7th "Alright, This is as far as you go."
8th" Dude your making me look bad! Fine...take that! and this....and one of these!"
9th *Panic "Die Die Die! Die Die Die!"
10 *Desperation ** Enters bomb shelter ***Prays for the billions who died in Collateral damage.
Good post
imperialus
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Sentry Box

Post by imperialus »

My group is right around the level 5 mark now. My overall mortality has been pretty low for a DCC game though. This is on account of a house rule I use. Basically when a PC is killed they sort of become a Schrodinger's Cat. The player records how far into the negatives they are, and then after the battle, if the PC's are able to recover the body, there is a chance they are still alive.

The PC makes a luck check with a base DC of 10. The check is modified by how far into the negatives they are (so at -8 hp it becomes DC18). Other PC's can attempt to lay hands or use other forms of magical healing to aid in the roll. Each point of healing received is a bonus to the roll. So using the above example if it is a level 3 fighter at -8 hp and the cleric uses lay on hands healing him 12 HP total then that becomes a bonus to his roll. Luck points can also be spent.

If the roll is a failure then the character is dead. If it is successful the character is actually at 1HP and suffers from a permanent wound I have a table similar to corruption for this.

If a PC dies due to the results of a critical hit then he is dead, no questions asked.'

As for the power level, I find it works better at higher levels. At least I enjoy the game more at this point than I did when they were level 0-3. The Players are invested in their characters at this point. They've developed weird quirks, have some memorable abilities, and various other bits and bobs that make them different. I mean heck right now everyone is super invested in restoring one of the PC's who got turned to stone back to normal and have headed off to kill a dragon in order to harvest his heart as a reagent for the cure. The PC's are unique and special at this point. They can do some heavy lifting and start to do things like take on dragons and more esoteric monsters which creates some pretty spectactular situations. I mean last session the party was beset by a warparty of nearly 50 ape men. The elf in the party pulled out all the stops, invoked Sezrekhan, spellburned herself down to the bone and cast summon animals with a 30+ roll dropping 100 hit dice worth of sabre tooth tigers onto them. It was pretty freaking epic.

Return to “DCC RPG General”