What to play after "The Portal Under the Stars"

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

narpet
Far-Sighted Wanderer

What to play after "The Portal Under the Stars"

Post by narpet »

Hi All,

So... my group is hooked on DCC. They've made it to first level playing "The Portal Under the Stars" and they're ready to play again. I've decided to play all published materials with this group. After creating adventures and worlds for almost 40 years, I just don't have time to do it any more.

So... I'd love to hear some suggestions on what module I should present them with next. Should I play the next adventure that's in the back of the core book... or is there a better module I should go with? I'm going to tie it all together into a somewhat cohesive campaign... but that's my problem. :)

Thanks in advance.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Re: What to play after "The Portal Under the Stars"

Post by Raven_Crowking »

I am going to say that you need only consider level 1-3 adventures for the immediate future.

Some good ones are:

DCC #66.5: Doom of the Savage Kings
DCC #77: The Croaking Fane
DCC #78: Fate's Fell Hand
DCC #80: Intrigue at the Court of Chaos
DCC #81: The One Who Watches From Below
DCC #85.5: The Curse of the Kingspire
DCC #89: Chaos Rising
DCC #92: Through the Dragonwall
DCC #93: Moon-Slaves of the Cannibal Kingdom
The Wizardarium of Calabraxis
The Vertical Halls
AL 1-5: The Stars are Falling
CE 1: The Falcate Idol
CE 5: Silent Nightfall
CE 6: The Crimson Void
The Treasure Vaults of Zadabad
The Haunting of Larvik Island

That's an inclusive, not an exclusive list. There are lots of other good adventures out there.

See also:

http://ravencrowking.blogspot.ca/2014/0 ... art-i.html
http://ravencrowking.blogspot.ca/2014/0 ... rt-ii.html
http://ravencrowking.blogspot.ca/2014/0 ... t-iii.html
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
narpet
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by narpet »

Thanks for the ideas. I have 4 or 5 of those... so I will read them over and choose which one fits best.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

You're welcome!

If you decide to do a holiday themed module around the end of the year, may I recommend my own The Thing in the Chimney, which you can find as part of The Perils of the Cinder Claws from Purple Duck Games?

I also particularly liked The Old God's Return.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
trevorbramble
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: Internet

Post by trevorbramble »

Raven_Crowking wrote:I also particularly liked The Old God's Return.
I'm running my players through a few other things in the interim, but we started with Portal and I plan a call back to the final hook (other half of the rulership rod) using Old God's Return, which features a blessing of "sovereign fire" that PCs can spend on various spells, most importantly for my needs, Form of Fire. From the description: "the PC causes his body to briefly transform into living flame".

Haven't sorted out where to drop in wood from a dryad's tree yet, but I'll figure something out. Likely when they get the fire they'll get proactive about it themselves. ;^)
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

trevorbramble wrote:...Haven't sorted out where to drop in wood from a dryad's tree yet, but I'll figure something out. Likely when they get the fire they'll get proactive about it themselves. ;^)
I've dabbled with creating some content around the loose ends of Portal... including the dryad issue on my blog (link in signature -- there's a keyword for dryad to find those entries easily) and in the Gong Farmers Almanac 2016 ("Beyond the Portal Under The Stars").
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
narpet
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by narpet »

Good stuff... I'll check out the others mentioned as well. "The Old God's Return" sounds really good, as does the "The Thing in the Chimney".

I'm also backing the current Lankhmar kickstarter campaign as well... so I may be putting some of that flavor in once it's released.
takeonrules
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Better World Books - Goshen

Post by takeonrules »

I really enjoyed running Doom of the Savage Kings. It is a very open adventure, with lots of chances for the characters to role-play and problem solve. I also found that it helped establish a potential place of operations (though in my campaign they got the hell out of Hirot).

Doom of the Savage Kings session reports - https://takeonrules.com/tag/doom-of-the ... ?order=asc
narpet
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by narpet »

takeonrules wrote:I really enjoyed running Doom of the Savage Kings. It is a very open adventure, with lots of chances for the characters to role-play and problem solve. I also found that it helped establish a potential place of operations (though in my campaign they got the hell out of Hirot).

Doom of the Savage Kings session reports - https://takeonrules.com/tag/doom-of-the ... ?order=asc
I have that one... and it looks good. Maybe I'll make that the next one for the group.

Thanks!

Return to “DCC RPG General”