Mighty deeds silly question

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Ozerulz
Wild-Eyed Zealot
FLGS: Gamers Haven

Mighty deeds silly question

Post by Ozerulz »

Why wouldn't a fighter attempt a mighty deed every attack? You get the die whatever added to your attack roll whether it fails or succeeds. I haven't played the game yet just reading up on the rules and trying to get a good grasp on it.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Re: Mighty deeds silly question

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Ozerulz wrote:Why wouldn't a fighter attempt a mighty deed every attack? You get the die whatever added to your attack roll whether it fails or succeeds. I haven't played the game yet just reading up on the rules and trying to get a good grasp on it.
They should.

The only reason why they don't is that they forget to.

They should not, IMHO, spam the same deed though. I give penalties to the Deed result for that.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Ozerulz
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Ozerulz »

So essentially the deed die is a bonus "to hit" quality for fighters?
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Ozerulz wrote:So essentially the deed die is a bonus "to hit" quality for fighters?
To hit, to damage, and possibly a special effect on top of it.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ravenheart87 »

It's what makes warriors awesome, and not just meatbags destined to be overshadowed by wizards.
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Ravenheart87 wrote:It's what makes warriors awesome, and not just meatbags destined to be overshadowed by wizards.
That and adding their level to Init, and their sweet, sweet crits. Especially at higher levels, the warrior might well plow through your foes before the wizard gets his first spell off!
SoBH pbp:

michaelcurtis
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by michaelcurtis »

Ravenheart87 wrote:It's what makes warriors awesome, and not just meatbags destined to be overshadowed by wizards.
Scrivener of strange tales, part-time madman, and odd word aficionado.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

If you're just reading up on the rules, I will point out that (IMO) Deeds are best when they feed off of the circumstances of the situation. Ignore the sample Deeds in the book, except as a way to come to understand Deeds better.

There is no pre-designed Deed chart for jumping off the giant toad's back so you can reach the flying horrors with your sword and strike one or two of them down. Allow players to invent maneuvers. Get creative. Use the environment. Try something crazy -- because it just might work!
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Ozerulz
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Ozerulz »

I understand the point you're making but where's the line between allowing players to decide whatever they want and the Judges role as Judge? I get it, not to read the Crit's verbatim, but simply allowing players to make up whatever they want negates the need to even bother playing the game.
thogard
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by thogard »

Ozerulz wrote:I understand the point you're making but where's the line between allowing players to decide whatever they want and the Judges role as Judge? I get it, not to read the Crit's verbatim, but simply allowing players to make up whatever they want negates the need to even bother playing the game.
The player is free to try something awesome with the character's attack. The judge is free to allow the awesome thing or not, depending on the style of play or the campaign setting. Or common sense and the laws of physics, for that matter.
Then it's up to the judge to interpret the die result as to how awesome. In my experience, deeds run quite smoothly in the flow of combat.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Ozerulz wrote:...I get it, not to read the Crit's verbatim....
Just to be clear Crits and Deeds are completely different things. I'm not sure if you using the term "crits" there is a typo, or if there's some confusion on just what a Deed is...
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham

Return to “DCC RPG General”