Excited New DCC Fan

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

narpet
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Excited New DCC Fan

Post by narpet »

Hi all,

I haven't been this excited about a roleplaying game since I got into Castles & Crusades about 7 years ago. I've been playing RPG's for almost exactly 38 years, and I'm less of a player now and more of a collector (time constraints, family, all that stuff)... But this game (where has it been all my life and why did it take me so long to get on board :D ), is amazing.

I backed the Kickstarter campaign that just shipped (amazing package), and this is the first time I've read the rules. LOVE THEM!

I've always DM'd / GM'd / Judged / Whatever you want to call it... for basically the entire 30+ years. I've spent so much time creating worlds and stories for my friends... and I've had so much fun. Lately (several years) it's been hard for me to find time to play. But after reading this book... I just had to get back into the fray. I've convinced 4 of my workmates to join me in one of our conference rooms after work next week.

I'm going to run them through the funnel in the back of the core book. I'm going to play it "by the book", because I love everything they've done with the rules. And, I'm going to (for the first time in my life) run all published modules. I think my friends are going to be hooked once they experience running 0 level characters through a night of destruction.

So... greetings to all... I'm excited about gaming again. :)
DM Marcus
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Re: Excited New DCC Fan

Post by DM Marcus »

Welcome Narpet,
Sounds like you've caught the DCC fever. Within those pages are the slow deaths of ten-thousand wizards. Warn the magic user in your new group that this isn't like those mamby- pamby wizard spells the kids are used to casting.
You'll find the folks here on this board helpful if you have questions too.

Prepare for fun.
narpet
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by narpet »

DM Marcus wrote:Welcome Narpet,
Sounds like you've caught the DCC fever. Within those pages are the slow deaths of ten-thousand wizards. Warn the magic user in your new group that this isn't like those mamby- pamby wizard spells the kids are used to casting.

Prepare for fun.
Thanks for the welcome. I love the magic system. It's one of the things I'm most excited about. Getting close to our first game... going to be a lot of fun.
srpyle1
Gongfarmer
FLGS: Phantom of the Attics

Post by srpyle1 »

narpet wrote:

Prepare for fun.
Thanks for the welcome. I love the magic system. It's one of the things I'm most excited about. Getting close to our first game... going to be a lot of fun.
Let us know how that first game goes! Excited to here about it. :D
narpet
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by narpet »

srpyle1 wrote:
narpet wrote:

Prepare for fun.
Let us know how that first game goes! Excited to here about it. :D
We had to postpone our first game. We are playing next Friday. I will definitely post how it goes... should be a lot of fun.
Fenris Ulfhamr
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
FLGS: -

Post by Fenris Ulfhamr »

Nice! Looking forward to hearing about those first games!

Black Kylessa (c) LV 2 Wizard (orphan)
Str7/8 (-1) Agi17(+2) Sta9(0) Per6(-1) Int15(+1) Luc15(+1) AC13 (padded armor, fumble d8) HP7 Sling+2 (1d4-1) or dagger+/-1 (1d4-1) Spd30 Init+2 R+3 F0 W0 Ragdoll (Mara), Pony, 48cp 602gp Common, Chaos, Halfling, Dwarven
Animal Summoning 64 Wealful/Woeful magic (erupts from the earth),Charm Person 83 Blue Star (black beam), Runic Alphabet, Mortal 43 no change, Spider Climb 53 no change (six extra eyes),Magic Missle 94 Fine Control (meteors),Chill Touch 50 no change (skeletal hands)
narpet
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by narpet »

Sorry to take so long to report on our first game. Took us a long time to get together.

** Spoilers in case you don't want to know about this adventure **

TLDR - I Love This Game... and so did the players!

We played "The Portal Under the Stars" from the back of the book. We had 4 players with 4 characters each. Character creation was fun as everyone got used to the true random creation process. When they began the adventure, it was clear this was going to be great from the very beginning. They lost 2 characters just trying to figure out the entry door.

The first room was pretty easy for them, but they did lose one more character. It was clear at this point that this was deadly, and fun.

The big room with the giant statue was tough... but they took their time and only lost one more character. The snake room scared the heck out of them, and they were able to escape and bar the door... never learning the secrets of that room.

The general burial room as easy for them, with no losses and they crushed all the skulls.

The pool room was interesting. They spent a lot of time investigating and pondering the crystal creatures. They never attacked them. They did pry out a few crystals from the pool. But at first, not enough to make much of a dent below.

One character headed down to scout it out.. and was able to figure out from the small leak that more water from up top would be a good thing. The generals had already been handled, and the warlord was active and had the army moving toward them. But, they were able to pry out enough crystals that most of the army was destroyed. There were 8 soldiers and the warlord left.

Long story short... they defeated the foes and were able to find all the treasure. They did leave the snake room alone, so some mysteries will remain unsolved.

Each player had exactly 1 character that survived... making it to first level. They can't wait to play again... and I think we've found our new game. New players have joined the DCC fold.

Huzzah!
brujoloco
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: FRPGames

Post by brujoloco »

narpet wrote:Hi all,

So... greetings to all... I'm excited about gaming again. :)
Oh man! I enjoy your excitement as I am experiencing it myself!

One of the things that hooked me on DCC is the funnel system and the amazingly weird modules and material that supports it. On small plays my players have LOVED to death (sometimes literally) the Patron System and the funky dice. In my very small and brief experience with DCC I have found out having the spell and other common use tables handy either in photocopy or an extra core for players speeds things up a ton!

Good Luck with your adventures friend! yay!
narpet
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by narpet »

brujoloco wrote:
Oh man! I enjoy your excitement as I am experiencing it myself!

One of the things that hooked me on DCC is the funnel system and the amazingly weird modules and material that supports it. On small plays my players have LOVED to death (sometimes literally) the Patron System and the funky dice. In my very small and brief experience with DCC I have found out having the spell and other common use tables handy either in photocopy or an extra core for players speeds things up a ton!

Good Luck with your adventures friend! yay!
I agree... the funnel system is great, as are the supporting modules. We're getting ready to have our next game in a couple weeks. This will be the groups first session as 1st level characters. They're all excited and have been learning about their new classes. We've got an Elf, a Warrior, a Cleric and a Thief. It's going to be exciting...

Return to “DCC RPG General”