worst level 0 character to make it through the funnel

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

BobtheBarbarian
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Geek City

worst level 0 character to make it through the funnel

Post by BobtheBarbarian »

So although I am relatively new to DCC, I have run both sailors and the 0 funnel in the book, and in the course of running those we rolled up some pretty crappy level 0s. Like really crappy and I was just wondering if anyone has had one of these really crappy characters survive the funnel, level up, what class they turned into and did they eventually buy the farm later on. Is there already a thread on this topic?
vergman83
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: gigacon

Re: worst level 0 character to make it through the funnel

Post by vergman83 »

Part of the charm of the funnel is that the character you end up with may not necessarily be the one you expect. Like a reality TV show.

My starting roster included a Dwarf (Moe) with phenomenal stats that ended up the first casualty of the funnel. In contrast, my surviving Elf didn't have a stat greater than 12, and that was in his Personality! But he did land a crit on an ogre which finished it off, so I ended up rooting for Curly and his gimp stats. Larry and Shemp had unremarkable deaths like proper Level 0's.

Keep in mind that treasures that include one-time permanent bonuses to ability scores aren't as 'forbidden' as in other RPGs, and with spellburn, battle rage, and spending luck ability scores tend to be more fluid. The published adventures often include magic fruit, wishes, or unique magic items to grant ability score improvements, and I'd consider that much more preferable than giving players a treasure trove or magic items like Gauntlets of Ogre Power.
catseye yellow
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by catseye yellow »

Just quest for it
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ravenheart87 »

We've seen a lot of shitty zeros level up and survive. Heck, one of my players had a crappy character that had ne less than -2 for every and damage attack roll. He wanted to use him as cannon fodder, but he survived everything and lived to see the end of the campaign as a level 3 warrior. The player was proud of this achievement.
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.
BanjoJohn
Deft-Handed Cutpurse
FLGS: there are a few but I dont really consider any of them as my main flgs

Post by BanjoJohn »

My level 0's that survive tend to have negative ability modifiers for the things they can do as part of their professional training. And I've yet to have a character with a positive stamina modifier.
TheDiceMustRoll
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Quantum Games

[deleted]

Post by TheDiceMustRoll »

[deleted]
Last edited by TheDiceMustRoll on Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gameogre
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Gameogre »

Toat's Magoats
human warrior 3rd level
with a 7,5,4,5,6,7

Toat's is like a god of war on the battlefield somehow surviving against overwhelming odds even while seemingly seeking death at every turn. While other warriors with far better stats die by the dozens.

Return to “DCC RPG General”