"Comics Crawl Classics"? Could that be "a thing"?

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

DCC
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: Myriad Games; Salem, NH

"Comics Crawl Classics"? Could that be "a thing"?

Post by DCC »

Folks, I've been tossing and turning at night trying to come up with a way to get a superhero setting into the DCC family. What we have seen so far of Jim Wampler's MCC has given me an confidence that something like that wouldn't "break" all the core concepts of DCC. I figure that the inspiration should come from old tyme superhero games like Villains & Vigilantes or Paladium's superhero RPG instead of Champions or Mutants & Masterminds; the key idea is that the powers probably need some random element. Given that fact, the dilemma is that after the power is generated, comic book powers are often reliable...

The world is straightforward, there are enough gonzo elements in '70s and '80 comic books that the dark but humorous tone of DCC wouldn't be lost.

Anyone else thinking similar things?

David Clarkson
Haverhill, MA.
Rick
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
FLGS: Gateway Games & More

Re: "Comics Crawl Classics"? Could that be "a thing"?

Post by Rick »

DCC wrote:Anyone else thinking similar things?
Yes :)

Not so much for publication, more for a outside-the box convention game or something along those lines.
DCC
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: Myriad Games; Salem, NH

Post by DCC »

Love to hear more!
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

That would be super.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
DM Cojo
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by DM Cojo »

I am considering a home brew campaign like Shadowrun once the MCC rules come out.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

Raven_Crowking wrote:That would be super.
Ouch. I see what you did there.

Seems like coming up with a comprehensive list of powers would be the main hurdle to overcome.

From a game mechanics standpoint, looking at Mutants & Masterminds could be a starting point, since it was written from a d20 rules set. Better yet might be Scott Casper's Hideouts & Hoodlums, which was based off of Swords & Wizardry. I suggest those because mechanically they are more similar to DCC RPG than, say, Champions. I haven't played Champions in decades, but I seem to recall that it was percentile dice based instead of d20, so it wouldn't be as similar to DCC RPG as some of the others I mentioned.

So ... sift through several superhero games and make a list of powers, take a copy of H&H and see how Scott brings it into line with a DCC RPG similar game system, and then start tweaking to taste.

That's my two coppers. 8)
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman

Return to “DCC RPG General”