DCC + My first love Greyhawk

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

TheWizurd
Far-Sighted Wanderer

DCC + My first love Greyhawk

Post by TheWizurd »

Starting out a group of neophyte DCCers, a teen group. Trying to decide if I want to introduce them to Greyhawk or just use the 1e modules. I would have to start out by converting the Greyhawk gods to Patrons, a bit of work. It would be a labor of love, but I do have a family, job all that good stuff, so looking for a little help if possible? Blackmoor perhaps, hmm?
Gameogre
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Re: DCC + My first love Greyhawk

Post by Gameogre »

My advice is to take a small section of Greyhawk like Homlet and the area around it and really flush it out. You don't need to convert all the gods. Just convert one or two of them as most people in that area only worship those.

Have the party start out just villagers and run them through a funnel. You will really have to do very little actual conversion just be aware there are some major differences. DCCRPG just is a much grittier darker (in general) rule system.

As the party starts to level up (eventually they will start living and leveling, eventually) you can keep adding to your notes and melding the flavor of Greyhawk with DCCRPG.

Remember in Homlet, The Adventurers don't go to the Dungeon! The Dungeons come to them!
TheWizurd
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by TheWizurd »

After much thought for a couple days. I have decided to go with Little Keep on the Borderlands, as my conversion. This will allow me to do patrons in a piecemeal fashion as you suggested. I have run through this module a few times as a youth and will very much enjoy sharing it with a group of novices. Making Karameikos much darker and grittier will be the largest challenge. The magic item proliferation will need to disappear of course.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

TheWizurd wrote:After much thought for a couple days. I have decided to go with Little Keep on the Borderlands, as my conversion. This will allow me to do patrons in a piecemeal fashion as you suggested. I have run through this module a few times as a youth and will very much enjoy sharing it with a group of novices. Making Karameikos much darker and grittier will be the largest challenge. The magic item proliferation will need to disappear of course.
Take a look, then, at the Brave Halfling Treacherous Cobtraps and Vile Worm adventures. If they were not directly inspired by KotB, they should have been.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

Gameogre wrote:My advice is to take a small section of Greyhawk like Homlet and the area around it and really flush it out. You don't need to convert all the gods. Just convert one or two of them as most people in that area only worship those.

Have the party start out just villagers and run them through a funnel. You will really have to do very little actual conversion just be aware there are some major differences. DCCRPG just is a much grittier darker (in general) rule system.

As the party starts to level up (eventually they will start living and leveling, eventually) you can keep adding to your notes and melding the flavor of Greyhawk with DCCRPG.

Remember in Homlet, The Adventurers don't go to the Dungeon! The Dungeons come to them!
Solid advice. I wouldn't want to undertake a project like converting all of World of Greyhawk at one time. Focus on a few key elements and convert a little at a time. What you don't want is to spend a bunch of time working on things that the players never encounter or you never need to use.

As far as patrons go, all you need are (1) those followed by PC's, and (2) those followed by the bad guys. Other patrons may trickle into the campaign as the game sessions continue.

Another thought is that you might start your conversions by looking at the folio version of Greyhawk. It doesn't have as much material and I think that a lot of what's there isn't statted out for any system. It might be easier to work from a general outline and build from scratch than it would be to take a newer product and have to actually convert everything. Just thinking out loud.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
TheWizurd
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by TheWizurd »

I started with the folio. That is where AD&D started of course. From what I remember, there wasn't much on deities in that book. Greyhawk deities pretty much came from the modules from what I remember, but I was 10 when it came out, so my memory might be a little fuzzy.

Return to “DCC RPG General”