The Keep on the Borderlands and the Caves of Chaos, dcc ?

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Blood Axe
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
FLGS: The Portal

The Keep on the Borderlands and the Caves of Chaos, dcc ?

Post by Blood Axe »

I remember this adventure fondly, cutting my teeth on D&D back in early 80's with the Moldvay magenta box set.
Fun stuff.
It would be neat to revamp this old classic for DCC and map it in the unique style. Cut back the treasure a bit and change those plain generic +1 sword or shield into something with flavor.
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Re: The Keep on the Borderlands and the Caves of Chaos, dcc

Post by Raven_Crowking »

You should consider making use of Appendix N Adventures The Vile Worm and The Treacherous Cobtraps if you do so.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Blood Axe
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Blood Axe »

Raven_Crowking wrote:You should consider making use of Appendix N Adventures The Vile Worm and The Treacherous Cobtraps if you do so.
Great idea. I have them on hand.
Max_The_Judge
Deft-Handed Cutpurse
FLGS: Game Kastle

Post by Max_The_Judge »

I'm running my PCs through The Temple of Elemental Evil right now. Let me tell you, those classic modules, they're boring and repetitive. Open the door, fight the monsters, loot the room, repeat. I've had to significantly punch up the encounters to keep my players from falling asleep. The good news is that that's not hard to do. Just give better, more detailed descriptions of the monsters (relationships between them, quirks in behavior, goals outside of just killing the party, links to other monsters encountered in other parts of the module, etc.), replace a monster encounter or two with a puzzle or NPC encounter, add some interesting traps, etc. For Temple of Elemental Evil I'm adding one detail to every room that adds up to an entire side plot about strife between the Earth, Air, Fire, and Water factions of the temple.

I second the recommendation of the Brave Halfling modules. They're really well written and a lot of fun.
Blood Axe
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Blood Axe »

Max, I know exactly what you are saying. The Caves would need to be changed a bit. More details & description, ramp things up a bit.

I think each "-cave" could be tackled as a seperate project. Kobolds, Goblins, etc.

Return to “DCC RPG General”