More MIGHTY DEEDS?

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Blood Axe
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
FLGS: The Portal

More MIGHTY DEEDS?

Post by Blood Axe »

Is there a fan list with more MIGHTY DEEDS or even a pdf product?
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Re: More MIGHTY DEEDS?

Post by Raven_Crowking »

SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Blood Axe
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Blood Axe »

Raven_Crowking wrote:Do you mean like this?

http://www.rpgnow.com/product/147952/Steel-and-Fury-DCC

Wow...thanks so much! Just what im looking for. I guess there are alot of really great DCC RPG products out there that I have no clue exist.
Thanks!
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

If you do a search for DCC on RPG Now, a lot of things come up.

http://www.rpgnow.com/browse.php?filters=0_0_44544_0_0
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Blood Axe
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Blood Axe »

Raven_Crowking wrote:If you do a search for DCC on RPG Now, a lot of things come up.

http://www.rpgnow.com/browse.php?filters=0_0_44544_0_0
I actually did go there and do a search- but the pdf on Mighty Deeds got lost in the shuffle. I passed it right by without noticing it. Thanks for pointing it out for me!
Karaptis
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Karaptis »

RC continues to kick ass! Thanks both of you for the question and the link.
Marzio Muscedere
Far-Sighted Wanderer
Location: A land of sorcery and nameless horror deep in Southern Canada

Post by Marzio Muscedere »

Karaptis wrote:RC continues to kick ass! Thanks both of you for the question and the link.
If you are interested in the book, I just wanted to let you know the print on demand option has been disabled for a short time while a few minor layout issues are being workout out. The PDF version is available, but if your thing is to own a physical copy, the option will exist again in the future.

Cheers!
Karaptis
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Karaptis »

I'll take the pdf for now. Thanks for the info.
Buttmonkey
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Buttmonkey »

I picked Steel and Fury up yesterday and am very pleased with it. I printed off the PDF and had it spiral bound at Kinko's. I really like making my own hard copies of the PDFs I buy from RPG Now. Spiral binding beats the heck out of perfect binding.

While I love the content, I wish there were more mighty deeds that aren't targeted at doing increased damage. I'm a little afraid that if I show Steel and Fury to my players, all they are going to want to do is try for the extra damage mighty deeds as a way to build on top of DCC's critical hit system. I've got my fingers crossed that I can convince them to try to be creative, too.
Last edited by Buttmonkey on Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blood Axe
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Blood Axe »

Buttmonkey wrote:

I picked Steel and Fury up yesterday and am very pleased with it. I printed off the PDF and had it spiral bound at Kinko's. I really like making my own hard copies of the PDFs I buy from RPG Now. Spiral binding beats the heck out of perfect binding.

While I love the content, I wish there were more mighty deeds that aren't targeted at doing increased damage. I'm a little afraid that if I show Steel and Fury to my players, all they are going to want to do is try for the extra damage mighty deeds as a way to build on top of DCC's critical hit system. I've got my fingers crossed that I can't convince them to try to be creative, too.
How much does getting something spiral bound cost roughly?
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Buttmonkey wrote:...I wish there were more mighty deeds that aren't targeted at doing increased damage. I'm a little afraid that if I show Steel and Fury to my players, all they are going to want to do is try for the extra damage mighty deeds as a way to build on top of DCC's critical hit system. I've got my fingers crossed that I can't convince them to try to be creative, too.
Wait, what?! Deeds that do extra damage??? How... sad.

That runs so exactly against the genius of the Deed mechanic, I don't even know what to say...! And that's saying something, because as frequent visitors to the forums know, I can talk. Or type. Or something...
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Buttmonkey
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Buttmonkey »

GnomeBoy wrote:
Buttmonkey wrote:...I wish there were more mighty deeds that aren't targeted at doing increased damage. I'm a little afraid that if I show Steel and Fury to my players, all they are going to want to do is try for the extra damage mighty deeds as a way to build on top of DCC's critical hit system. I've got my fingers crossed that I can't convince them to try to be creative, too.

That runs so exactly against the genius of the Deed mechanic, I don't even know what to say...! And that's saying something, because as frequent visitors to the forums know, I can talk. Or type. Or something...
That was my thought, too, until I looked back at the called shot mighty deed example from the DCC RPG book. Although the description of mighty deeds under the warrior class description says they are not supposed to be do extra damage, the called shot example explicitly does allow for extra damage (up to an extra 1d7, I believe, depending on how the deed die roll goes). The new mighty deeds in Steel and Fury that allow for extra damage do up to an extra 1d8, so it's a little higher than the BTB example, but still pretty closely in line with the RAW. Most of the Steel and Fury mighty deeds are particularized versions of called shots.
Last edited by Buttmonkey on Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Buttmonkey
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Buttmonkey »

Blood Axe wrote:
Buttmonkey wrote:

While I love the content, I wish there were more mighty deeds that aren't targeted at doing increased damage. I'm a little afraid that if I show Steel and Fury to my players, all they are going to want to do is try for the extra damage mighty deeds as a way to build on top of DCC's critical hit system. I've got my fingers crossed that I can't convince them to try to be creative, too.
How much does getting something spiral bound cost roughly?
About $6. The real cost is printing stuff out. At $0.12 per page for black and white, it can add up. It probably costs a little more to print out and spiral bind from a PDF than it does to order a hard copy (it's a little hard to compare since there are shipping costs associated with ordering a hard copy), but I think the end product is much better. Spiral binding is awesome. Everything lies flat perfectly and the pages turn easily. It works great with modules.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Karaptis wrote:RC continues to kick ass! Thanks both of you for the question and the link.
Thanks! I appreciate it!
GnomeBoy wrote:Wait, what?! Deeds that do extra damage???
Some of the deeds in the book might be ones that you disallow in your home game, but even so, I think it is good value for the money. That I will never use the Troll Lords in a game doesn't make me sad that Joseph Goodman included them in the Cyclopedia of Creatures in the core rules. I don't use everything from Crawl!, either, but I get each issue for what I do use.

Let your own needs, interests, (& wallet!) be your guide.
SoBH pbp:

Buttmonkey
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Buttmonkey »

Buttmonkey wrote:
GnomeBoy wrote:

That was my thought, too, until I looked back at the called shot mighty deed example from the DCC RPG book. Although the description of mighty deeds under the warrior class description says they are not supposed to be do extra damage, the called shot example explicitly does allow for extra damage (up to an extra 1d7, I believe, depending on how the deed die roll goes). The new mighty deeds in Steel and Fury that allow for extra damage do up to an extra 1d8, so it's a little higher than the BTB example, but still pretty closely in line with the RAW. Most of the Steel and Fury mighty deeds are particularized versions of called shots.
I was mistaken. The precision shot mighty deed example from the DCC RPG rulebook allows for up to an extra 1d8 damage, not 1d7, so Steel and Fury is very much in line with the RAW on that front.
Marzio Muscedere
Far-Sighted Wanderer
Location: A land of sorcery and nameless horror deep in Southern Canada

Post by Marzio Muscedere »

Buttmonkey wrote:

While I love the content, I wish there were more mighty deeds that aren't targeted at doing increased damage. I'm a little afraid that if I show Steel and Fury to my players, all they are going to want to do is try for the extra damage mighty deeds as a way to build on top of DCC's critical hit system. I've got my fingers crossed that I can convince them to try to be creative, too.
Thanks for checking out the book!

In my experience, I have found that players are more inclined to create their own mighty deeds the more they begin to use the deed mechanic on a regular basis. The intention of the book was always to help "paint the picture" of combat, to try to get players to tell the story of their combat more so than simply saying "I attack with my longsword". If players are trying to sever a foe's arm or cripple a foe's leg, they inevitably want to know the outcome of their attack, more so than just hearing they did 6pts of damage. True you do not need a chart for every deed, some of the best deeds are very situational specific and made on the fly. So it is my hope that Steel & Fury sparks the creative juices in your players to come up with their own mighty deeds.

Thanks again for purchasing the book. I do hope you and your players enjoy it!!
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

I'm fairly sure I never read the entirety of the Deed charts in the book. And in explaining Deeds, I've gone with what it says in the Warrior Class write-up.

I don't think I've ever adjudicated someone asking for a called shot, but I think my inclination would be to improvise in the situation... Maybe the target falls, as if dead, but was just knocked out... that sort of thing. Warriors dishing out damage has never seemed to be an issue. I suppose if it was a "we gotta kill that guy now or we're all dead!" moment, I'd certainly consider an 'instant kill' Deed as a possible thing...
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham

Return to “DCC RPG General”