Fantasy miniatures for DCC

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Weisenwolf
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Fantasy miniatures for DCC

Post by Weisenwolf »

Am I just being tight or have fantasy miniatures leapt up in price way beyond inflation over the past couple of decades?

Some are 5 quid a pop now; I'm sure I used to be able to buy them for about 30 pence each back in in the eighties.

Anyway does anyone know a good current supplier who doesn't want a weeks rent for one figure! and has anyone ever seen a Halfling miniature wielding two short swords or two hand Axes anywhere ever?
Zargon
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Re: Fantasy miniatures for DCC

Post by Zargon »

Would this work for you? If so, I'd like to introduce you to Dar Dimplefoot (#02099) he is $3.99 The nice thing about Reaper is that they offer a line called Bones, which are about half the normal costs.
Fables of the Borderlands - #1 DCC campaign on Obsidian Portal!
Weisenwolf
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Weisenwolf »

He would be great except that he is (apparently) 25mm tall which makes his status as a 'halfling' somewhat dubious.
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

I believe that when a line of figures are cast in 25mm they will not be the same size. So, this hobbit is part of the 25mm line but the casting will be shorter than the elf/human/dwarf races.
Weisenwolf
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Weisenwolf »

MrHemlocks wrote:I believe that when a line of figures are cast in 25mm they will not be the same size. So, this hobbit is part of the 25mm line but the casting will be shorter than the elf/human/dwarf races.
Yes that is normally true but the only figure review I can find for this particular figure states that it is 25mm tall. Hopefully that is not the case and it ought not to be but it could be :?

I have a load of old Citadel halflings somewhere which were all very stocky; may just get the knife and milliput out and make one myself :D

Shame there isn't a DCC RPG line of figures
Zargon
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Zargon »

What size are your human figures exactly? I have never had any trouble with scale from this company. Though there are other companies which I would cast my ward against. I own many of the other Halflings by Reaper, and I find them all to be perfectly scaled. I would imagine this figure would be suitable for you, unless you play with true 25mm scale, which I can't imagine is very likely. Considering you might alter a Citadel halfling, I would bet this guy would fit right in with the same scale. For what it's worth, the image below features a halfling sculpted by the same person, for the same line. DCC did have a small line of miniatures, (sold molds to CSM, which is now defunct) I believe the line did conform to the common scale as is used by GW and Reaper. While original 25 mm figures matched 1:76 models, variations developed that increased figure height. True 28 mm figures are close to 1:64 models, but may appear larger due to sculpting and thick bases. All that to say, you never can tell the actual size of a miniature unless it is given by the supplier, or you have enough consumer history to make an educated guess.
Fables of the Borderlands - #1 DCC campaign on Obsidian Portal!
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Weisenwolf wrote:...states that it is 25mm tall. Hopefully that is not the case and it ought not to be but it could be :?
That sword he's got does reach higher than his head, and his base seems thicker than average -- maybe that explains it...
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Weisenwolf
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Weisenwolf »

Phil at Spirit games has measured the little chap for me and commented as follows:

They are 25mm high including base - a typical human or elf in the same nominal 28mm scale is typically about 33mm high, an orc 35 - 40mm

Most of mine are OOP Citadel models or the Original LOTR figures and I think they are about 20mm high. That said the DCC Halfling is clearly a Warrior so I expect I can get away with a bit more hight and scale creep was going on even back in the day so I expect my humans are a little bigger than the 25mm they are supposed to be too.

Think I will just order one and see how he compares...........

Return to “DCC RPG General”