So I wrote a review of the game over on my dead blog!

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

mossman81
Ill-Fated Peasant

So I wrote a review of the game over on my dead blog!

Post by mossman81 »

I havent updated my blog in a long time but playing DCC RPG has lit a fire under me lately and I thought I would share.

http://dungeonslinger.blogspot.com/
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Re: So I wrote a review of the game over on my dead blog!

Post by finarvyn »

mossman81 wrote:I havent updated my blog in a long time but playing DCC RPG has lit a fire under me lately and I thought I would share.
Very nice review. Some thoughts:

(1) Wow. That was a long review. You have lots to say, pretty much all positive. 8)

(2) Nice to see a fellow Games Plus veteran. I don't get out there as often as I like (around an hour away) but it's an awesome store. I bought my first funky dice there, glow in the dark uninked as well.

(3) I agree. The funky dice are a nice touch to the game, and having them is better than faking it with regular poly dice.

(4) I'm an old-school guy but I've never actually inked dice with a crayon. (I tried a sharpie marker on my uninked glow set and am not happy with them.) My original D&D dice were the unmatched rainbow set (yellow d4, orange d6, green d8, blue d12, white d20) and by the time I bought new dice they were the pre-inked type. I missed out on the basic boxed sets "in the day" and never owned uninked dice back then. As such, I found your "Dollar Store crayon" observation interesting.

(5) Fixating on the crayon thing, how do you ink dice with a crayon? Do you crush the wax into the grooves and wipe away excess from the face? Is it that simple?

Anyway, great review of DCC. 8)
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
thogard
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by thogard »

finarvyn wrote:
mossman81 wrote: (5) Fixating on the crayon thing, how do you ink dice with a crayon? Do you crush the wax into the grooves and wipe away excess from the face? Is it that simple?
Exactly.
IIRC, my red Basic box came with blue plastic dice and a white crayon.
Hey, it beat chits.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

thogard wrote:
finarvyn wrote:
mossman81 wrote: (5) Fixating on the crayon thing, how do you ink dice with a crayon? Do you crush the wax into the grooves and wipe away excess from the face? Is it that simple?
Exactly.
IIRC, my red Basic box came with blue plastic dice and a white crayon.
Hey, it beat chits.
I have a boxed set with chits, too. Collected "after the fact", of course. What a lame substitude for dice, but I guess they work. :P
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
mossman81
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by mossman81 »

finarvyn wrote:
mossman81 wrote: (5) Fixating on the crayon thing, how do you ink dice with a crayon? Do you crush the wax into the grooves and wipe away excess from the face? Is it that simple? )
-Yep thats what I did and wish I would have used ink instead or a paint pen instead. It was alot of work for crappy results. I still stand by my word of rather having the dice then not though!

-I always kind of ramble on because my mind always has 3 or 4 things going on at the same time. Sorry it was so long. Thanks for reading!
Semi-Retired Gamer
Wild-Eyed Zealot
FLGS: Wizard's Asylum

Post by Semi-Retired Gamer »

Good review! I can relate to the excitement and nostalgia myself. I like the longer reviews like you posted. 8)
Charlie
----------------------------------------------------
I (mainly) blog about role-playing topics at The Semi-Retired Gamer.

Reading: The Lair of Bones by David Farland.
tovokas
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by tovokas »

Just got around to reading this myself. Nice overview mossman!

(And I'm glad you've found the 0-level party generator useful. Thanks for the shout out!)
Jon Marr
Purple Sorcerer Games
purplesorcerer.com

Return to “DCC RPG General”