What do I run tomorrow?

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

DM Cojo
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

What do I run tomorrow?

Post by DM Cojo »

I have a DCC RPG game tomorrow with four players. One who has never played, one who has played a little (and has a couple 1st level characters), and two veterans who have a variety of 1st level and some 2nd level characters.

I am leaning towards running a 0 level funnel, since one player is new to the game, and the newer guy can use a few more level ones to add to his pool of characters. I don't want to bore the veterans though, and they are getting tired of funnels. I also would like something I think I can finish in one session, since I have a hard time getting some of the same players together to finish anything beyond that.

If I run a funnel, it would be one of these:
* Attack of the Frawgs
* Ruins of Ramat
* Ooze Pits of Jonas Gralk

I was thinking of running a level one adventure, and having the rookie bring in 4 zero levels...with replacements she can find along the way. My options here are:
* Tower of the Black Pearl (although I was saving this for a different time when some other veterans can make it)
* Well of the Worm
* Doom of the Savage Kings
* Frozen in Time

Or, I could run a level two adventure and either have the rookie roll up some level 2 characters or have her run zero levels. But I worry that the second option is too deadly. Options here are:
* The Emerald Enchanter
* Fate's Fell Hand

Any thoughts are appreciated, as I have to prep the adventure tonight. Thanks!
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Re: What do I run tomorrow?

Post by Raven_Crowking »

SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
DM Cojo
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by DM Cojo »

Thanks Raven...that one looks very interesting. I think we are going to go ahead with "Tower of the Black Pearl" tomorrow, only because I have already read it once, and it will be easier to prep. Plus, some of the players asked for that one. I will definitely look to use "Prince Charming, Reanimator"...soon though!
michaelcurtis
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by michaelcurtis »

Frozen in Time is clearly the only rational choice. :D
Scrivener of strange tales, part-time madman, and odd word aficionado.
Karaptis
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Karaptis »

Seven adventures, all excellent. Number them roll 1D8 reroll 8 or, if you are lucky like me, roll a D7.
Karaptis
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Karaptis »

Though I would make number eight Prince Charming. That module sounds fun.
DM Cojo
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by DM Cojo »

Well, I look forward to running them all eventually. I think "Frozen in Time" is going to be coming soon. I want to have closer to my entire group when I run that. It looks great though!
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Frozen in Time is a great adventure.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
DM Cojo
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by DM Cojo »

For those who have run "Frozen in Time" did you run it as a stand-alone with primitive characters or use existing ones somehow? Also, have you seen that Purple Sorcerer's zero level generator now has an option to select making primitive occupations too? Pretty cool.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

DM Cojo wrote:For those who have run "Frozen in Time" did you run it as a stand-alone with primitive characters or use existing ones somehow? Also, have you seen that Purple Sorcerer's zero level generator now has an option to select making primitive occupations too? Pretty cool.
I ran it as a World Tour event at Wizard's Cache in Toronto. We used 0-level primitive characters, which I pregenerated using the Purple Sorcerer's generator. It was so much fun that my elder daughter wanted to go back and play it again! She loved recognizing the art in one room, and was in fact the only survivor when the glacier calved, and she made her Luck check riding it down. The loot was all buried under tons of ice, though!

Michael Curtis deserved real kudos for this one!
SoBH pbp:

ragboy
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by ragboy »

They way I handle this is similar to Karaptis, but I let the _characters_ decide. I have hooks/rumors related to each adventure laid out in a table beforehand and the characters decide from the information they manage to take in.

I'd second Prince Charming, though. Quick prep and a truly terrifying adventure. I will not mention Frozen in Time since Michael Curtis personally killed all my characters... :)
AKA Paul Wolfe
The Mystic Bull: Check out our two FREE prehistoric adventures: The Steading of the Nergalites AND The Tribe of Ogg and the Gift of Suss
In the Prison of the Squid Sorcerer (PDF) and softcover: 12 Short Adventures for DCC!
The God-Seed Awakens: 3rd Level Adventure for DCC. New patron, new spells, lots of new monsters and the living weapons of the Empire of Thal!
My Gamer Profile
Karaptis
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Karaptis »

People are going to think I am RC's second account, but holy crap on Prince Charming! What an awesome concept.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Karaptis wrote:People are going to think I am RC's second account, but holy crap on Prince Charming! What an awesome concept.
Thank you.

I'm sure we secretly all knew the truth when we heard about Prince Charming as children.
SoBH pbp:

Return to “DCC RPG General”