Dwarf vs Warrior

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Monster
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Dwarf vs Warrior

Post by Monster »

I looked for this topic and found nothing.

With the higher hit point die, deed die, and arms/armor selections which of the two classes seems to work out the best in a group? Is there a real difference other than racial abilities? Do those who rolled Dwarf randomly object to demi-humans being stuck in a stereo type?

I have not had the joy of playing a demi-human yet and never read the whole rule book yet.
To that creature, you are the monsters hunting it!
Noun mon·ster/mɒnstər/Show Spell[mon-ster]
1. a legendary animal combining features of animal and human form or having the forms of various animals in combination, as a centaur, griffin, or sphinx.
2. any creature so ugly or monstrous as to frighten people.
3. any animal or human grotesquely deviating from the normal shape, behavior, or character.
4. a person who excites horror by wickedness, cruelty, etc.
5. any animal or thing huge in size.
6. any small, unattended children running free
caveman
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Re: Dwarf vs Warrior

Post by caveman »

Well, I houseruled dwarves all around. I didn't like how the shield basher played at the table so I made this stereotype instead (lower Deed Die progression, but d12HD, warrior crit dice, and a defensive or aggro combat option).

DWARF
Dwarves are doughty fighters, and legendary Carousers. Dwarves can smell gold and see it in the darkest dark when all else are shadow and form. Dwarves are mostly colorblind. Dwarfenvision is black and white except for gold. There are no dwarf women. Dwarves are said to be hewn from the roots of the earth, and their beards are like the moss that grows upon a stone that does not roll.
Hit Dice: 1d12
Level Deeds Critical Dice Threat Action Dice
1 +d2 1d12/III (20) 1d20
+d3 1d14/III (20) 1d20
+d4 1d16/III (20) 1d20
+d5 1d20/IV (20) 1d20
+d6 1d24/IV (19) 1d20 + d14
Deed Dice apply to Attack, Damage and Fumble rolls.
MIGHTY DEEDS OF ARMS must be declared before the attack roll. 3+ = Success!
Dwarves are slow. Speed: 20’ Speed is not affected by armor.
The Sturdy Dwarf: Do NOT have a 2nd Shield Bash attack, instead Dwarves enjoy
+3 AC bonus for using a Round Shield, or +1d for a 2 handed weapon (ex: War Axe d14)
+2 to Obstinacy Saving Throws (my own saves houserule)
Dwarves are legendary Carousers and may CAROUSE without mishap.
Dwarves may smell gold at 100’, and may roll a d24 for gold related Perception checks.
Dwarves are experts in masonry, mining and metallurgy, rolling a d20 in all such situations.
With tools, Dwarves may make things.
Monster
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Monster »

I have no need of special rules, I was just wondering how they stack up to each other.

Why play Dwarf or Warrior?
To that creature, you are the monsters hunting it!
Noun mon·ster/mɒnstər/Show Spell[mon-ster]
1. a legendary animal combining features of animal and human form or having the forms of various animals in combination, as a centaur, griffin, or sphinx.
2. any creature so ugly or monstrous as to frighten people.
3. any animal or human grotesquely deviating from the normal shape, behavior, or character.
4. a person who excites horror by wickedness, cruelty, etc.
5. any animal or thing huge in size.
6. any small, unattended children running free
ajtheronin
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by ajtheronin »

Monster wrote: Why play Dwarf or Warrior?
If you rolled a Dwarf for your profession you will play a Dwarf otherwise you will get to play a Warrior if you want to (unless you rolled an elf or halfling, then you will have to play one of those).

If the Judge is house-ruling character creation I would choose a Warrior over a Dwarf because in the long run it will have get to roll in the best critical table for PCs in the game.
NJPDX
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by NJPDX »

Any game master worth his salt will put stuff into his game that triggers the Dwarf's "smell gold" ability. So while they aren't technically as robust as the human warrior, getting to see in the dark and their other talents can make them stand out in a game.

Also, it's probably worth noting that the "long run" in DCC is an illusion. :D

Return to “DCC RPG General”