Another plea for dice...

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

DM Cojo
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Another plea for dice...

Post by DM Cojo »

Every time I play DCC RPG, I have a great time. The only down side is that I don't like my dice selection. I have a set of Zocchi dice, but they don't have a d30, and I am not crazy about the shape of the d3 and d5. I have two sets of the "who knew?" sets which I think are made by Kaplow...but the d7 and d14 are oversized, as is the d30. I found some smaller d30's which I picked up, but they don't match any other dice I have. And none of the "funky dice" match my "standard" dice sets.

So basically, what I really want is for Goodman Games to have a set of dice that covers the entire dice chain, all in the same style, that can be purchased as one big set. Without any oversized dice that roll like a rock...

Is there any hope for this crazy dream to come true? :mrgreen:
NJPDX
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Re: Another plea for dice...

Post by NJPDX »

I'd definitely go for a set if it was available ... so that's two sales right there.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

There's always hope. The problem is that Joseph Goodman doesn't want to get into dice. His "thing" is creation of modules. What we need is a reliable third party group to decide to stock and sell dice sets.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
jeffb
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by jeffb »

There was a post a couple days ago on the DCC google group stating Lou is back in charge and gamestation is no longer making the dice. Perhaps this is a harbinger of good things to come?

I do not mind the z dice I bought from gamestation quality wise, and I do not care about matching as I have many different sets. but the Z dice set cost me over 3 times the amount I would have paid for a standard inked translucent set. That is ridiculous. For now, the table shares one set, which is also ridiculous, but.....
"Maybe I'm just getting too old to want to have to deal with a heap o' rules and the steaming heap o' rules lawyers who go with them." Gary Gygax
DM Cojo
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by DM Cojo »

I have both Zocchi dice and the "Who Knew" dice by Kaplow...and I much prefer the Kaplow dice, and they ware significantly cheaper. I fell you are paying a huge markup for the "precision" aspect of the Zocchi dice, which I am still not convinced is even true. The nub that is on the dice (left on as a result of them not rounding the edges) seems to be an unbalancing factor to me. I know a lot of people just sand it off...but that seems to also add imprecision as an element to the dice, IMO.

And I guess I have a strong preference for matching dice. I pick a set for a game and use all the same dice from that set, as opposed to mixing and matching. I also prefer my dice to be the same general size...which not all of the Kaplow ones are, so that bugs me a bit too.

Maybe I am a bit OCD about my dice? :lol:
Judge Hook
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Judge Hook »

I'd also definitely purchase a matched set if one were offered by Goodman or a reliable third party. I can see why Goodman doesn't want to branch out into dice, but if they could set up a partnership with an "official" third party, that would be awesome.
Flexi
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Flexi »

There seems to quite a few threads coming up now clamouring for a DCC dice set, and I for one, would absolutely snap a set up if it came out.

I have some very nice dice sets from Q-Workshop for Earthdawn, Deadlands and Pathfinder, along with some great looking elven, runic, dragon, steampunk dice and more. They are among the best looking dice I have seen. I would love to see them do a DCC set.
I normally get them from diceshoponline in the UK or have ordered them directly from Q-Workshop in Poland before.
Oh, page for their dice at diceshoponline here:
http://www.thediceshoponline.com/specia ... -available
Golgothmog
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Golgothmog »

The Q-Workshop dice my friends have look nice but they're a bit hard to read. Then again, I'm not a dice collector... give me basic, opaque polyhedrals with clear numbers.
My DCC dice came from the Koplow 'Who Knew' sets... nothing fancy but they'll do nicely and they match my other 'normal' polyhedrals from Koplow.
smathis
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by smathis »

When I was at GenCon, I picked up this for right around $20. Worth looking into. It doesn't have a d5 or d7 but it does have a d18. Dice are good quality too. Comes with its own bag too.

Fairly awesome deal, IMO.
Vile
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Vile »

It would be great if these were available in sets that were widely available. I have no idea about the logistics of the kind of mass-production needed, but I'm not that fussy about the colour as long as it's consistent and the dice are tough enough. Even if they only come in one colour. Go on, some dice maker person, make it happen. 8)
Skyscraper
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer

Post by Skyscraper »

Vile wrote:It would be great if these were available in sets that were widely available. I have no idea about the logistics of the kind of mass-production needed, but I'm not that fussy about the colour as long as it's consistent and the dice are tough enough. Even if they only come in one colour. Go on, some dice maker person, make it happen. 8)
Wish granted.

http://goodman-games.com/forums/viewtop ... 60&t=44473
Maledict Brothbreath, level 4 warrior, STR 16 (+2) AGI 7 (-1) STA 12 PER 9 INT 10 LUCK 15 (+1), AC: 16 Refl: +1 Fort: +2 Will: +1; lawful; Armor of the Lion and Lily's Blade.

Brother Sufferus, level 4 cleric, STR 13 (+1) AGI 15 (+1) STA 11 PER 13 (+1) INT 10 LUCK 9, AC: 11 (13 if wounded, 15 if down to half hit points), Refl: +3 Fort: +2 Will: +3, chaotic, Robe of the Faith, Scourge of the Maimed One, Darts of Pain.
DM Cojo
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by DM Cojo »

Yes, this is good news for sure!

Return to “DCC RPG General”