DCC #35 Compatibility w/DCC RPG

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Ron Blessing
Gongfarmer
FLGS: Isle of Games

DCC #35 Compatibility w/DCC RPG

Post by Ron Blessing »

I am in the process of planning my first DCC campaign. I'm wondering about the practicality of investing in the 3E Aereth gazetteer (PDF). How much has the setting changed versus what's implied in DCC RPG?

Thanks in advance!
Ron Blessing

"Do not be negligent, even in trifling matters."
-Musashi Miyamota
Mike_Ferguson
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Re: DCC #35 Compatibility w/DCC RPG

Post by Mike_Ferguson »

Ron Blessing wrote:I am in the process of planning my first DCC campaign. I'm wondering about the practicality of investing in the 3E Aereth gazetteer (PDF). How much has the setting changed versus what's implied in DCC RPG?

Thanks in advance!
How much has changed? Much.

As far as I can tell, there's some locations that have remained the same (Punjar, for example), but the entire tone and feel of the DCC RPG is very different than what was written for the 3.5E Aereth Gazetteer of the Known Realms.

When we wrote the Gazetteer, we were shooting for an amalgamation of well-known classic campaign settings - Mystara, Greyhawk, etc. The "Appendix N" influence wasn't nearly as pronounced.

I find the DCC RPG implied game setting now to be a bit darker, weirder, and dangerous than what's actually in good old DCC #35. That's not a bad thing, just ... different. I think the new game probably deserves its own revised setting.

If you do pick up DCC #35, I'd use it for the maps and for mining some ideas, but as-is I don't know how much you'll be able to use. I think it'd be more raw materials for your own DCC campaign world rather than a ready-to-use finished campaign setting for the DCC RPG.

Just my $.02. Hope this helps.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Re: DCC #35 Compatibility w/DCC RPG

Post by GnomeBoy »

I'd suggest that you just think of it like buying a Gaz for one game, but you're using it for another.

DCC 35 was written for use with D&D 3.5.

DCC RPG is it's own thing. It most assuredly is not D&D 3.5 -- as I'm certain many a DCC fan would tell you.

If you like the sound of what's in DCC 35, and want to use it in your DCC RPG game, why not? It's your game.

Personally, I still like 3.5, too.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham

Return to “DCC RPG General”