On line DCC

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Stonebreaker
Far-Sighted Wanderer

On line DCC

Post by Stonebreaker »

Simply, what do I need to play DCC (or any other RPG) on line?
I'm not asking about a play by post game.
I know I'll need Skype, but what else?
Once I get set up is there anybody out there looking for a player.
Stonebreaker
Stop roll playing and start ROLE PLAYING!!!
Play Attention.
maxinstuff
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Re: On line DCC

Post by maxinstuff »

I highly recommend google plus.

You can see who is talking, the voice quality is better, and you can share things (like maps).

There is a roll20 add-in that basically does the job of a battle mat and minis - although I havent used that bit.
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Seconding G+ and Roll20. Free, simple to use, reliable.

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
IronWolf
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by IronWolf »

Roll20 and G+ Hangouts is the way to go in my opinion.
Skars
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Skars »

I'm torn, I like hangouts, they really do work well most the time but the overall g+ experience sucks. I am getting used to the non-intuitive quirks as I go, but I am a sad panda every time I see "whats Hot on google plus" on my feed and it's some discussion about depends adult undergarments or something completely unrelated to gaming.
Hungerstriker
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Hungerstriker »

Roll20 works great. Maps and minis work well, and the online dice roller is fantastic. You type "/roll 28d6" and then it's all automated. Has a little tab where you can keep your character sheets and whatever else.
oncelor
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by oncelor »

We have been using Skype and MapTool to play RPG games online for almost four years, playing DCC for the last year or so. I've found it very stable and easy to use. I made a DCC campaign framework for it that I'd be happy to share with Mr Goodman's permission (it reproduces some of the tables in the book more or less verbatim) if you're interested in checking it out. We tried several other programs before MapTool and I was not very happy with them.
IronWolf
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by IronWolf »

Skars wrote:I'm torn, I like hangouts, they really do work well most the time but the overall g+ experience sucks. I am getting used to the non-intuitive quirks as I go, but I am a sad panda every time I see "whats Hot on google plus" on my feed and it's some discussion about depends adult undergarments or something completely unrelated to gaming.
You can disable the What's Hot posts from appearing in your feed. I agree, they are annoying.

http://techwhack.co/remove-hot-recommen ... eam-45212/
Skars
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Skars »

IronWolf wrote:
Skars wrote:I'm torn, I like hangouts, they really do work well most the time but the overall g+ experience sucks. I am getting used to the non-intuitive quirks as I go, but I am a sad panda every time I see "whats Hot on google plus" on my feed and it's some discussion about depends adult undergarments or something completely unrelated to gaming.
You can disable the What's Hot posts from appearing in your feed. I agree, they are annoying.

http://techwhack.co/remove-hot-recommen ... eam-45212/
Thanks! like many g+ "features" it was absolutely unintuitive to me on how to find this. Hell, just try sending someone a private message for the first time...*grumble* The other gotcha is for anyone using a touchscreen monitor, the site is not designed to handle it unless you have a specific app. So to reach the menus, you have to mouse-over.. :?

Return to “DCC RPG General”