DCC RPG Slipcase edition

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Re: DCC RPG Slipcase edition

Post by GnomeBoy »

Skars wrote:So we are all in favor of the annual being released with the slipcover? 8)
Right -- a slipcase big enough to hold the Annual plus the Core, plus Random Esoteric Creature Generator, plus Dungeon Alphabet, plus a module or three.

Or am I describing a moving box? :wink:
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Liverpuncher
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Liverpuncher »

goodmangames wrote:Someone mentioned elsewhere the idea of selling the slipcases independently at cons. That's definitely possible. But in any sort of distribution scenario they have to ship with something packed inside them (i.e., a book) to prevent damage.

Producing the core book with new material is harder than it sounds. A certain percentage of the fan base will be upset that they "have to purchase a new book to get the new material." I also want to maintain the shared experience of common adventures. We have ALL played Keep on the Borderlands. All modern editions of D&D have lost that shared commonality of adventure experience. With DCC RPG, "Portal Under the Stars" and "Sailors on the Starless Sea" are becoming the two adventures that pretty much everybody has played. It is nice to have that commonality.

The other possibility is to produce the slipcased editions with an extra 16 pages of material. Some companies do this with their slipcased editions. But it's not like I have some awesome material lying around that was cut from the core book. Trust me, at 480 pages, there's not a lot on the cutting floor! And any new adventures can simply be produced as new adventures, without necessarily being included in the core book.

I do like the idea of new monsters and artwork. That may be more appropriate to an Annual or perhaps a subsequent printing. New art is relatively slow to produce.
I'd certainly be interested. But what peaks my interest even more is a slipcover for one of the annual updates. Speaking of which will
we see the first annual at Gen Con? Or anything else you could share? :)
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ravenheart87 »

How about a deluxe hardcover compilation of the DCC RPG modules so far?
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.
EpicRPGBlog
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by EpicRPGBlog »

I think I would be most interested in a slip cover featuring a silver foil on black negative of some epic Erol Otus artwork.
DCCfan
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer
FLGS: The Comics Club

Post by DCCfan »

EpicRPGBlog wrote:I think I would be most interested in a slip cover featuring a silver foil on black negative of some epic Erol Otus artwork.
Yes! Good idea. This gets my vote.
"When creating your character,choose an ethical system that can justify nearly any fit of temper, greed, cowardice, or vindictiveness, for example, Chaotic Violent..."

THE PROTOCOLS, ADVANCED PROTOCOL #10
Tortog
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Tortog »

I'll by a new copy of the rule book if need be, but I really don't want to pay that much just for 16 more pages... I'd rather just pay for the new pages in a PDF download so I can stay current on the rules and not break my wallet. I don't need a slip cover to store my modules in, I put those in plastic and store them in a nice, dry, dark place with the rest of my rare book collection. :|
Amanchanamun
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Amanchanamun »

I can only spend more money on a new revised edition. I have the same book. Ofcourse you can give players to buy this option as well. but for me needless.

Instead maybe you can gather adventures in a slip case or concentrate on more prior items like

GM SCREEN
ORIGINAL DICE SET
ARETH CAMPAIGN GUIDE
sniderman
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by sniderman »

As much as a slipcover would be a nifty addition, I already have two rulebooks. I don't need (or want) a third just so I can get a box with it. I agree that an official screen, set of dice, or campaign book of the DCC world (you know, stuff I can use during play) would be so much more useful than a box to just store stuff in (you know, something that looks good on a shelf).
cthulhudarren
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by cthulhudarren »

DCCfan wrote:
EpicRPGBlog wrote:I think I would be most interested in a slip cover featuring a silver foil on black negative of some epic Erol Otus artwork.
I'd vote for ANY reason to use new Erol Otus artwork.
Caffiend
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Caffiend »

goodmangames wrote:Someone mentioned elsewhere the idea of selling the slipcases independently at cons. That's definitely possible. But in any sort of distribution scenario they have to ship with something packed inside them (i.., a book) to prevent damage.
That would depend on the box weight/thickness, and number being shipped. I've received magazine slipcovers shipped with nothing in them but a zig-zagged piece of cardboard.

As for the image on the case, I vote for something not already issued on a limited-edition book. Diminishes the awesomeness of the prior products.
~Judge Jen
Spellburner, Keeper of Mysteries, and Chief Acolyte* for DCC RPG

*the Dark Master said so!
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

This is what I fail to understand. We were told about 2 years ago the an Aereth campaign redo was possibly in the works. Why not make it happen instead of putting another new design cover the original rule book and placing it in a slipcover? With all the work put into the design of the last few rule book covers we could of gotten to really neat Aereth ( D&D stuff removed) Gazetteer by now.
AJClark
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by AJClark »

Put me in the camp that is interested, but not with another version of the corebook. Some sort of annual or campaign setting would be nice. I already have two copies of the core book, not sure if i can justify buying a third just to get a slipcover.

Also, I agree with the idea of it having new art but I have no preference if it's gold/silver foil or just standard art (Erol Otis does get my vote for artist though).
Thorynn
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Thorynn »

Why not ship it filled with adventures! It would be great for people who already have one (or four) rulebook, but may not have collected all the modules. Maybe add a special edition module or the one from the mystery map contest?!
Clangador
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Clangador »

I'll get a copy.
~Clangador

I'm not a wizard but I play one in DCC...

Join the DCC RPG Rocks Facebook group.
IronWolf
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by IronWolf »

I do not have much interest in a slipcase edition. I have two rulebooks already and if I were to pick up another it would be one of the limited edition ones and not a 3rd printing of the main rulebook in a slipcase.
Hrevelax
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Hrevelax »

Lots of great ideas. I only have the first core book and do want another copy but because there are so many already and I don't want to pay for just a box, it would have to be damn amazing for me to splurge on it (these hobby isn't cheap!)

It would have to have exclusive cover art and exclusive slipcase art.
It would have to have new art spread throughout.
It would have to have new spells, patrons, ie brand new/collected material (an annual is good)

I like the idea of a collected volume of the released modules. THAT would be worth a lot in my eyes!

In short, another core edition would hurt more than it would help, even if it comes with a cool slipcase and cover.

We can all agree that we are hungry for more, and really want new material. I refuse to believe that Goodman Games hasn't been toying with ideas for an "advanced" edition in secret.
Liverpuncher
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Liverpuncher »

Hrevelax wrote:Lots of great ideas. I only have the first core book and do want another copy but because there are so many already and I don't want to pay for just a box, it would have to be damn amazing for me to splurge on it (these hobby isn't cheap!)

It would have to have exclusive cover art and exclusive slipcase art.
It would have to have new art spread throughout.
It would have to have new spells, patrons, ie brand new/collected material (an annual is good)

I like the idea of a collected volume of the released modules. THAT would be worth a lot in my eyes!

In short, another core edition would hurt more than it would help, even if it comes with a cool slipcase and cover.

We can all agree that we are hungry for more, and really want new material. I refuse to believe that Goodman Games hasn't been toying with ideas for an "advanced" edition in secret.
Agree - lots of good ideas. (Erol Otus cover for the win!) But I also agree a GM screen would even better. Given the great artists you typically hire for your products, I'm sure you could put together an amazing product. (If you took and improved some of the ideas from the Hackmaster GM screen - that would even be better).
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

Thanks everyone for the feedback. It is great to see how muh excitement there is for new DCC RPG products. We do have several great new adventures very close to completion, which will be previewed at Gen Con. As for ideas on the Annual, Aereth campaign setting, module compilation, and other products, I appreciate the suggestions. Several of them do overlap with projects I would like to release one of these days (like maybe in 2014). For the near term, I have to get the core book back in print. It is the bread and butter for the game. The third printing is about to go to the printer anyway, and a slipcase edition is easy to add to the print job without much additional time. New covers, art, patrons, etc. take time...which, again, might work well for something cool in 2014. In the meantime I think my conclusion is to do a slipcase in the near term as part of the existing third printing...and also get cracking on some of the bigger releases to follow up on that!

What's more exciting, an Aereth project or a Punjar project? :)
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
cthulhudarren
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by cthulhudarren »

goodmangames wrote: What's more exciting, an Aereth project or a Punjar project? :)
Punjar. You can drop it into any campaign.
Skars
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Skars »

I'm not personally familiar with either, so I guess I'm still stuck on an annual compiling the rules and goodies throughout the published modules thus far into one handy folio.

If Aereth or Punjar are campaign settings, I would like to see them in a Hex Crawl format similar to the Isle of the Unknown. I could see a vibrant Third party response "fleshing out" specific hexes within the provided setting. It would also be nice to associate hexes within the supplement with existing DCC modules. For instance, placing the village of Hirot in a specific hex.
reverenddak

Post by reverenddak »

no....

YES!

are you kidding me? Of course. i own every cover, what's another cover. I rather own multiple copies of a single core-rules, than a huge stack of useless splat books...
Reverend Dakota Jesus Ultimak, S.S.M.o.t.S.M.S., D.M.

(Dungeon) Master In Chief of Crawl! fanzine. - http://www.crawlfanzine.com/

"[...] there is no doubt that Dungeons and Dragons and its imitators are right out of the pit of hell." - William Schnoebelen, Straight talk on Dungeons & Dragons
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

cthulhudarren wrote:
goodmangames wrote: What's more exciting, an Aereth project or a Punjar project? :)
Punjar. You can drop it into any campaign.
THIS. I honestly couldn't care any less about an Aereth rewrite and would likely never use it. But a fleshed out dcc punjar would be quite nice to have.
reverenddak

Post by reverenddak »

Punjar!
Reverend Dakota Jesus Ultimak, S.S.M.o.t.S.M.S., D.M.

(Dungeon) Master In Chief of Crawl! fanzine. - http://www.crawlfanzine.com/

"[...] there is no doubt that Dungeons and Dragons and its imitators are right out of the pit of hell." - William Schnoebelen, Straight talk on Dungeons & Dragons
8bitjunkie
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by 8bitjunkie »

cthulhudarren wrote:
DCCfan wrote:
I'd vote for ANY reason to use new Erol Otus artwork.
Same...Erol Otus artwork would guarantee this as my fifth book
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

Aereth...what else! Aereth has much more of that World of Greyhawk vibe. And besides, Punjar even sounds dirty :lol:

Return to “DCC RPG General”