DCC RPG Slipcase edition

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

DCC RPG Slipcase edition

Post by goodmangames »

Is there any interest in a DCC RPG slipcase edition? With the third printing going to the printer soon, that's an option. I've got a mockup from the printer and it's solid. See picture - the white box would be the dimensions of the slipcase. I'm thinking of a brown vinyl / leatherette texture with gold foil, probably the same imagery as on the original gold foil edition. Slipcases can't be produced empty (they tend to get crushed in shipping - it's basically an empty box), so it would be shipped with a copy of the third printing inside. The slipcase could then be used to store modules on the shelf. The price of book + slipcase would probably be around $60-$70 w/ the gold foil look. Let me know if there is interest in this...

Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Re: DCC RPG Slipcase edition

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Yes. Yes, there would be interest.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

Joseph, have I mentioned recently that I hate you.

I already own two copies of the light blue dude and gate printing, a copy of the gold foil printing, and a copy of the wizard printing. That's four rulebooks.

I had planned on buying the new one this summer. That would make five.

Now you suggest a sixth version? Sigh. Gotta get that one, too. :oops:
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
Skars
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Skars »

Count me in. I am using an empty tunnels & trolls box I got from Rick Loomis this past DunDraCon to cart my modules around. Which in and of itself is just fine, but gold foil gets my nose tingling! :P
DCCfan
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer
FLGS: The Comics Club

Post by DCCfan »

Please don't use the same image. If you do that the black books won't seem special any more. I feel like I have this ultra rare cool book right now but if everyone has a slip case with the same image on it... Well I guess it just wouldn't be as cool to sit down at the table and show off what used to be something that no one else had. Can't DK come up with something new but just as cool?
"When creating your character,choose an ethical system that can justify nearly any fit of temper, greed, cowardice, or vindictiveness, for example, Chaotic Violent..."

THE PROTOCOLS, ADVANCED PROTOCOL #10
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

Perhaps the best image would be the one in the photo -- the light blue cover with dude and portal. I think that this is the most "iconic" DCC image to date, with the most rulebooks having this cover.

Also, are there any differences between 2nd printing and 3rd? (Any errata corrected, etc?)
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

I'd love a brown leather with silver foil. Agree, don't use same design as prior books.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

As to using a new design, I have no problem with GG keeping Doug Kovacs employed.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Jim Skach
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Jim Skach »

You have my bank routing number, right?

Fin - I feel your pain. I have 5 right now...First printing, Blue Cover. Second Printing, Blue Cover (now with an Index!), Gold Foil, Wizard, and Easley Special Editions.

I am in the position that due to certain eratta, I will be buying the thrid printing as well ;)

I love the idea of the slip cover...in fact, I'd love it if there were a way to buy additional ones (though I understand about the shipping) so I could store a book in one and all of the modules...and I mean all...in another. Oh...and then maybe another for thrid party modules...and then another for issues of Crawl....

You have my bank routing number, right?
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

As far as module storage goes, I have a large 3-ring binder and some of those pocket page inserts. I put two modules in each insert (facing out) and then in the binder so I can flip through like a photo album.

Of course, they don't all fit. I need to get a second binder already. When Joesph said something about an "annual" I didn't realize that he meant I needed a new binder each year to hold the modules! :lol:
Marv / Finarvyn

-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

"Oh, the pain. The pain..." said my wallet, in it's best Dr. Smith voice.

"Shut up, and cough up!" said I.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ravenheart87 »

I already have a nice box from Brave Halfling Publishing, I store my DCC core book, modules and Dungeon Alphabet in it. Still, I'm pretty sure others will love the idea and pay a small fortune for a slipcase + core book combo. :)
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

Ravenheart87 wrote:I already have a nice box from Brave Halfling Publishing, I store my DCC core book, modules and Dungeon Alphabet in it. Still, I'm pretty sure others will love the idea and pay a small fortune for a slipcase + core book combo. :)
No, no, no -- you were supposed to say "I don't think anyone will pay all that much for that, so you'd better make it very cheap".

"small fortune" gumble grumble grumble
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Zargon
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Zargon »

Yes, there will be interest, it's very lovely and I'd love to own this, but the question I'm asking myself is at what cost is that interest prohibited for the consumer? I don't know how many consumers are so new to the DCC line that this will be their first purchase of the core book, but that consideration aside and as great as the art is and limited as the book is, some people may not be willing to pay $60-$70 for a single piece of cover art on a slipcase, especially if they own n copies of the book already.

Respectfully, I would like to see the core book produced with something in it that isn't in the one I own. Why not get rid of the portal under the stars and replace it with a new mini module every time you reprint the core book? This may be against your mission but offering a new class here and there may be a hit as well? Or how about some more monsters? Fourthly, since new/old style art is a big part of DCC, why not put artwork in there that takes the place of the artwork in the one I own already? Then you could offer something more exclusive than the same book with a different cover, and more people would be willing to pay for the newest reprints.
Fables of the Borderlands - #1 DCC campaign on Obsidian Portal!
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

Someone mentioned elsewhere the idea of selling the slipcases independently at cons. That's definitely possible. But in any sort of distribution scenario they have to ship with something packed inside them (i.e., a book) to prevent damage.

Producing the core book with new material is harder than it sounds. A certain percentage of the fan base will be upset that they "have to purchase a new book to get the new material." I also want to maintain the shared experience of common adventures. We have ALL played Keep on the Borderlands. All modern editions of D&D have lost that shared commonality of adventure experience. With DCC RPG, "Portal Under the Stars" and "Sailors on the Starless Sea" are becoming the two adventures that pretty much everybody has played. It is nice to have that commonality.

The other possibility is to produce the slipcased editions with an extra 16 pages of material. Some companies do this with their slipcased editions. But it's not like I have some awesome material lying around that was cut from the core book. Trust me, at 480 pages, there's not a lot on the cutting floor! And any new adventures can simply be produced as new adventures, without necessarily being included in the core book.

I do like the idea of new monsters and artwork. That may be more appropriate to an Annual or perhaps a subsequent printing. New art is relatively slow to produce.
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Skars
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Skars »

Just put the annual in the slipcase along with the rulebook. Then you have the annual with all the spell sheets, patrons, and monsters from the first 12 DCC modules released in one handy booklet along with a fine slipcase to store the corresponding modules. even use some nasty font to list the module numbers on the bind so each time you reach that milestone we get a new slipcase. Since the first limited book was black leatherette I say stick with that and gold foil, but maybe use the sweet dcc rpg belt buckle image for it to also represent the world tour...
Skars
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Skars »

P.S. I will be at pacificon if you want to sell some slipcase mockups heh
Rostranor
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Rostranor »

No. Multiple copies of the rule book are being bought up by the same people, expand the market sale of core books, not the cover varieties like a comic book cross over.
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

goodmangames wrote:Someone mentioned elsewhere the idea of selling the slipcases independently at cons. That's definitely possible. But in any sort of distribution scenario they have to ship with something packed inside them (i.e., a book) to prevent damage.

Producing the core book with new material is harder than it sounds. A certain percentage of the fan base will be upset that they "have to purchase a new book to get the new material." I also want to maintain the shared experience of common adventures. We have ALL played Keep on the Borderlands. All modern editions of D&D have lost that shared commonality of adventure experience. With DCC RPG, "Portal Under the Stars" and "Sailors on the Starless Sea" are becoming the two adventures that pretty much everybody has played. It is nice to have that commonality.

The other possibility is to produce the slipcased editions with an extra 16 pages of material. Some companies do this with their slipcased editions. But it's not like I have some awesome material lying around that was cut from the core book. Trust me, at 480 pages, there's not a lot on the cutting floor! And any new adventures can simply be produced as new adventures, without necessarily being included in the core book.

I do like the idea of new monsters and artwork. That may be more appropriate to an Annual or perhaps a subsequent printing. New art is relatively slow to produce.

I like the idea of making a slipcase edition with extra rules/classes/spell/patrons. Anything but a slipcase with the just same rulebook having a different cover. Think you covered that angle pretty well already? We already have four of the same rule books with different covers. This slipcase edition really needs to be something 'different'.

Maybe add some beginner maps of the world of Aereth. Pick a small area of Aereth and detail it? Maybe a small, one page, map and 16-30 pages of reading...
cthulhudarren
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by cthulhudarren »

I would love a slipcase edition of the 3rd printing. BUT I would much rather see new DCC RPG content from goodman games like the 'annual' and a Judge's Screen!
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ravenheart87 »

Don't touch the core rulebook, unless you're fixing errata. If you want to hand out and extra with the slipcase, an exclusive module, art folio or annual would be fine.
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.
cjoepar
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by cjoepar »

MrHemlocks wrote:
I like the idea of making a slipcase edition with extra rules/classes/spell/patrons. Anything but a slipcase with the just same rulebook having a different cover. Think you covered that angle pretty well already? We already have four of the same rule books with different covers. This slipcase edition really needs to be something 'different'.
I very much agree with this.

Joseph, I love the game as much as anyone, but my honest feedback is that I wouldn't pay the extra amount just for the same rulebook and a slipcase.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Ravenheart87 wrote:Don't touch the core rulebook, unless you're fixing errata. If you want to hand out and extra with the slipcase, an exclusive module, art folio or annual would be fine.
This. Even if there are extra monsters, patrons, etc., they should not be a change to the core rulebook.
SoBH pbp:

GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

Raven_Crowking wrote:
Ravenheart87 wrote:Don't touch the core rulebook, unless you're fixing errata. If you want to hand out and extra with the slipcase, an exclusive module, art folio or annual would be fine.
This. Even if there are extra monsters, patrons, etc., they should not be a change to the core rulebook.
Yes. That's what the 'Annual' is for, right?

Skars
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Skars »

So we are all in favor of the annual being released with the slipcover? 8)

Return to “DCC RPG General”