DCC Pulp Space Adventures

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

themightyeroc
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

DCC Pulp Space Adventures

Post by themightyeroc »

I had an idea about running DCC as a Pulp Space Game. I not really fond of writing up tons of stuff so I was figuring how to do this the easiest and fastest way.

My thoughts:
Warriors are Space Warriors, don't change anything here except flavor text. Weapons stay the same with damage dice just flavor those too. Example: Swords and Axes are now Laser Swords & Axes, Bows become Laser rifles and crossbows become Laser pistols.

Wizards pretty much become "Jedi" like space warriors with mind powers. All spells work the same they are just mental powers instead of magic or generated from a technical device.

Thief, stays same just flavor text. Most Thieves are Space Pirate types. smugglers etc.

Clerics, Medics and Science types. Spell effects are just generated by tech devices or the powers of weird alien intelligences.

Elves, Dwarves and Halflings: They become the Alien Player Races. Elves are your fancy pants aliens (Vulcans etc.) that have mind powers (spells).
Dwarves are your war-like alien races (klingons)
Halflings become any other type of odd ball alien.
You can pretty much make up your own alien description once you choose which type you want.

I think a zero-level Space Funnel would be a blast! I was looking over the "0" occupation chart and thinking about what kind of occupations would be in a Pulp Future. A lot of the occupations still work even in outer space, but some would need new flavor text.

Miner would be an Asteroid Miner, Gong Farmer might still be fun to keep. Even in space, they have to poop.
Ah well, who wants to live forever? DIE!
worldoferoc.blogspot.com
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Re: DCC Pulp Space Adventures

Post by GnomeBoy »

So long as the Halflings aren't Gungans, I think you have a winner.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

I've ran "OD&D in Space" with much the same philosophy you describe, themightyroc. Just create some alien monsters, switch weapons to cool scifi names, and play.

Haven't tried it with DCC, but it sounds like a blast and would make a fun module if we could con Joseph into writing it. (Sort of like the "barrier peaks" of DCC...)
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
imperialus
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Sentry Box

Post by imperialus »

My current campaign has a really strong 'sword and planet' vibe. Draws a lot of inspiration from Barsoom, Planet of Adventure, Dying Earth, Empire of the Petal Throne, Hawkmoon, Bashki's Wizards, Logans World, and old Heavy Metal magazines.

Most the weapons stay unchanged. Guns work like normal weapons except their damage dice 'explode' when max damage is rolled. For example one of my PC's has a "Star Pistol" that does 5d4 damage, but he can keep re-rolling any dice that come up as 4, allowing him to do some pretty nasty damage.

I also have stuff like power armour (though the PC's haven't encountered it yet) and magic is fueled by nanites used during the terraforming process. I've ditched the cleric class, with wizard patrons taking the form of Gods for most people. I used the rapid healing from CRAWL to help mitigate the lack of a walking bandaid.

As far as races go... Well Elves are reskinned as Starborn. The direct decedents of the upper castes of the starfarer civilization that colonized the planet.

Dwarves (along with Orcs, Goblins, Hobgoblins, Ogres and Giants) are Genforged, and the result of genetic experimentation to create super soldiers. Some of these experiments were more successful than others hence the diversity.

Halflings are called Draklings and are the planets native inhabitants. They're closely related to Lizardmen, Drakes, and dragons who they worship as Gods.

They also have things like Sky-Boats, Lightning Cannons, and armoured vehicles. The whole setting is a sort of post apocalyptic wasteland.

Return to “DCC RPG General”