I had it! Time to go!

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

I had it! Time to go!

Post by MrHemlocks »

Yep! Today I kicked two players from my group. One was a young women (21?) and the other was a young man(20?). After playing for two years they still do not have dice and have never read any of the rules for the games I run. They never brought a pencil and never ran a game nor planed to run any. I freaken had it with the young gerenation. Both had little patience and the girl lived on her damn cancer stick. Even after being told MANY times not to use it at the table.

The girl was on meds and the boy was filthy! Some gamers seem to fit the stereotype perfectly :(

I closed up my books and ended the game after 20 minutes...was so fed up!
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Re: I had it! Time to go!

Post by finarvyn »

1) From the title of the thread, I thought you were leaving the boards. Whew! Glad to see that was misleading. 8)

2) Problem players certainly are no fun. As a GM you have to decide which rules your players must follow and I applaud you for sticking to them. I'm not as hung up over the rules or dice thing as I am by the smoking and clean factor. (They should want to learn the rules, but I don't mind so much if they don't. I have a few players who are like that and they really love gaming but hate rules. They do have their own dice, pencils, and paper, however.) Sorry you have to put up with creeps like that. You did the right thing in giving them the "heave ho"! :x
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
RevTurkey
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by RevTurkey »

Why can't people wash?

DCC soap on a rope? (i think I have suggested this before)

I shudder when I go into my local gaming store to browse and maybe buy something as the players stink of BO. They certainly help with stereotyping gamers as socially inept...which is as I am sure many of you demonstrate, is false.

I have no problem with smoking but not in my home and not in my face, thanks very much.

Sorry to hear you had to boot them but it sounds like they were being annoying. So get rid.

I would rather not play until finding new players..than have my time wasted and ruin my love of roleplaying.

On a lighter completely unrelated topic...just downloaded Attack of the Frawgs...good.
Playing since about 1980
Latest games: DCC RPG of course!
Quote I like: "I am on a computer therfore I am" (Alan Plater)
Flexi
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Flexi »

No dice? Inexcusable! I don't demand that every player has to have a copy of the rulebook nor have the whole range of Zocchi dice but it is good for every player to have the basic range of d4s to d20s etc, at the cheap prices you can get a basic set like that as well.
As far as I am concerned, people can use their own dice, and *cough* hands off my dice-bag too! :)
I think there has to be at least a basic understanding of the rules held by players.
People who don't bring the basics to the table should be afflicted with the dice of shame to use. I nabbed this idea off someone else (on this forum or rpg.net's I think) and it works a treat. A set of shocking pink dice (preferably of a large size) for the offender to use. Me, I have no problem with pink dice, my d30 Chessex is a enormous, shocking pink affair but some people cannot seem to want to touch a particular colour or size. Follow the rules or use the dice of shame!
RevTurkey
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by RevTurkey »

Ah..a fellow brother of the cult of the giant pink d30!
Playing since about 1980
Latest games: DCC RPG of course!
Quote I like: "I am on a computer therfore I am" (Alan Plater)
Gameogre
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Gameogre »

I play with ANYONE. Bring me your dirty unwashed masses and I will throw them against hordes of even dirtier smellier Goblins!

Obnoxious? Yeah have a seat. Like to talk too much? Sit over there! Close talker?Sigh,Please sit across the table. Just want to play the game like a video game? Sit next to close talker guy. Like to fart at the table? Sit on the other side of close talker guy. Must be the center of attention at all times? Sit to the right. Don't want to talk at all and whisper?Sit on my right.

Seriously, I can play with just about anyone.

I do have some rules that there is no discussion about.

1- DON'T Touch MY Dice. I do bring at least four complete mixed sets of dice in case someone doesn't have dice. Normally I will just give those away. You touch MY personal dice and its instant grounds for termination with extreme prejudice. If your lucky we are talking about your character. I am not superstitious,I don't believe in Lucky dice (unless weighted) but decades at the hobby have shown me that RPG's will make off with your dice in a heartbeat!

2-Do not even bring up sex in any context other than you might find in a rated G Movie. Really no good reason for it. I don't run THAT kind of game so the most I want at my table is some female pc trying to sweet talk the guard into letting her pass. Anything else better be something like" I have a great night and get wasted and wake up the next day with one heck of a hangover or During our off time I am dating the female blacksmith and things are turning serious." If you and your girlfriend/boyfriend/WHATEVER both sit at the table,this isn't a time for pushing boundaries or for your characters to get together. Just stop and have fun like everyone else,just stop.

3-No Politics. Seriously. Bring it up at the table and your done.

4-Make your character interesting,fun or at least entertaining. Otherwise go home. I don't care if your character idea is a mean spirited dwarf who badmouth everyone IF everyone at the table is fine with it. Create a character that everyone likes or just save time and be a no show.You character wants to cheat/attack/trick the party I got no beef with that,as long as they don't. If they do whatever you want to do....doesn't work out.

5- If you need drink,food,smokes for a game bring them. Sometimes we might have one or all of those things for everyone but sometimes we have nothing but a dirty glass of hot water. You takes your chances. We will sit here and eat a sammich while drinking a mountain dew and make "oh God,it's so good noises" at you if you showed up looking for handouts.

6- I even think you might be cheating,you're character dies. This isn't court,I need no proof. I can smell cheaters from a mile away coming from downwind. Cheat=Death.

7-Don't argue with me. If I fooked something up feel free to state your case. If I rule against you,shut it,sit down and let it slide. Feel free to run a game however you want to,I really mean that I love to play and am perfectly willing to shut up and sit down at your table even if I'm right about some rule and I feel your not. Who cares? I get to play=Win.

8-Everyone cleans up the last ten minutes. Everyone. You don't clean you get 0 exp and maybe even a grudge monster sent after you next game. Don't be THAT guy. Pick up after yourself and for ten minutes maybe even pick up after me or whoever made a mess.

9-I don't care if you play computer games at the table,text with your girlfriend,talk to your wife, hell I don't care if you watch a movie. I will not repeat myself because of it though and when it's your turn you best be ready. If you're not,you are skipped and do nothing and wait till next round.

10- Be Fooking nice. Number 10 is all important. If any other conflict arises and number 10 hasn't be violated,its mostly all good. Violate rule #10 at your own peril.
Flexi
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Flexi »

Found the source of my inspiration, a Gnome Stew article: http://www.gnomestew.com/gming-advice/t ... g-of-dice/

I never had to resort to a My Little Pony case for them though. I think some gamers may take a peverse pleasure in that.
I forgot about the pencil of shame. Now that one I will resort to in future, if someone does not turn up with the basics!
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

Gameogre wrote: I do have some rules that there is no discussion about.
1- DON'T Touch MY Dice.
2-Do not even bring up sex in any context other than you might find in a rated G Movie.
3-No Politics.
4-Make your character interesting,fun or at least entertaining.
5- If you need drink,food,smokes for a game bring them.
6- I even think you might be cheating,you're character dies. 7-Don't argue with me.
8-Everyone cleans up the last ten minutes.
9-I don't care if you play computer games at the table,text with your girlfriend,talk to your wife, hell I don't care if you watch a movie. I will not repeat myself because of it though and when it's your turn you best be ready. If you're not,you are skipped and do nothing and wait till next round.
10- Be Fooking nice.
A fantastic list, Gameogre! This is certainly a list that everyone should have posted in the game room! 8)

I couldn't bring myself to shorten #9. :lol:
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
Skyscraper
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer

Post by Skyscraper »

I think I'm more capricious than most. I don't have a hard line on any given personality trait, but I'm looking for fun people who are interested in the game, bring something positive to the table, like the type of game that I do, are socially apt (those that want to take frontstage all the time = not socially apt according to me), that are likeable, and all other obvious things (smoking => respect others, if others don't like it, don't do it in the room; washing and other stuff: I can't even believe this needs to be a topic for conversation). This said, I don't mind different personalities, on the contrary.
Maledict Brothbreath, level 4 warrior, STR 16 (+2) AGI 7 (-1) STA 12 PER 9 INT 10 LUCK 15 (+1), AC: 16 Refl: +1 Fort: +2 Will: +1; lawful; Armor of the Lion and Lily's Blade.

Brother Sufferus, level 4 cleric, STR 13 (+1) AGI 15 (+1) STA 11 PER 13 (+1) INT 10 LUCK 9, AC: 11 (13 if wounded, 15 if down to half hit points), Refl: +3 Fort: +2 Will: +3, chaotic, Robe of the Faith, Scourge of the Maimed One, Darts of Pain.
Tortog
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Tortog »

@ Gameogre> Great post! If you don't mind, I think I will print that off and actually post it as part of the table rules for my next game. I've never really cared about folks rolling my dice, but the zocci dice are a bit pricy so I keep mine on a short leash. I would (after recent experiences) amend it to add the following:

3a. No discussion of religion beyond the context of the game. I didn't go to all this trouble to sit here and get preached at! :evil:

Return to “DCC RPG General”