Converting monster stats from Labyrinth Lord to DCC rpg

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

daddystabz
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Converting monster stats from Labyrinth Lord to DCC rpg

Post by daddystabz »

Does anyone have any conversion stats for converting monster stats from Labyrinth Lord to the DCC rpg please? I am considering running a Stonehell Dungeon campaign that is written for Labyrinth Lord in DCC.
smathis
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Re: Converting monster stats from Labyrinth Lord to DCC rpg

Post by smathis »

daddystabz wrote:Does anyone have any conversion stats for converting monster stats from Labyrinth Lord to the DCC rpg please? I am considering running a Stonehell Dungeon campaign that is written for Labyrinth Lord in DCC.
Conversions? I ran parts of Stonehell with DCC and then again with characters from Transylvanian Adventures. I don't remember there being that big of an issue.

I can't remember what I did. But, on the fly, I think it was something like... AC = 20 - LLAC. And saves were the "Saves as" character level applied 1:1 to the save that made most sense (say Will +7 for Wiz7) then half that for the next one that makes the most sense (so Reflex +3 for Wiz 7) and half that again for the other save (Fort +1 for Wiz7). A Fighter-3 would be Fort +3, Ref +1, Will +0.

I remember just running with that. Doing the same thing for old D&D modules. Seems to work okay.
daddystabz
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by daddystabz »

Those are good ideas. Thanks!
smathis wrote:
daddystabz wrote:Does anyone have any conversion stats for converting monster stats from Labyrinth Lord to the DCC rpg please? I am considering running a Stonehell Dungeon campaign that is written for Labyrinth Lord in DCC.
Conversions? I ran parts of Stonehell with DCC and then again with characters from Transylvanian Adventures. I don't remember there being that big of an issue.

I can't remember what I did. But, on the fly, I think it was something like... AC = 20 - LLAC. And saves were the "Saves as" character level applied 1:1 to the save that made most sense (say Will +7 for Wiz7) then half that for the next one that makes the most sense (so Reflex +3 for Wiz 7) and half that again for the other save (Fort +1 for Wiz7). A Fighter-3 would be Fort +3, Ref +1, Will +0.

I remember just running with that. Doing the same thing for old D&D modules. Seems to work okay.
Colin

Post by Colin »

THIS may also help.
Rostranor
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Rostranor »

Sweet. That's awesome Colin, thanks.
Colin

Post by Colin »

It's by Jeremy Deram of the excellent People Them With Monsters blog. I'm just sharing the love. :)

Colin
daddystabz
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by daddystabz »

Any suggestions how to convert between Tunnels & Trolls to DCC? I have a dungeon I'd love to convert over.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

daddystabz wrote:Any suggestions how to convert between Tunnels & Trolls to DCC? I have a dungeon I'd love to convert over.
T&T is a little tricky because it mostly relies on a single number, whereas more complex RPGs have multiple numbers. This means you won't have a perfect conversion, but you can "fake it" and get results that are pretty good.

The first step might be to look for a similar monster in DCC. Of course, that won't really "convert" since a monster might be strong in one game and weak in the other. This might or might not matter to you, as T&T is known for not balancing encounters. :lol: It might at least help you with damage. "Ah ... so the monster fights a lot like an ogre, so I can use this damage ..." or whatever. Same for AC and some of the other key stats.

Hit Dice are actually pretty easy, however, and HDx15=MR is a good rule of thumb to convert a D&D monster into a T&T MR (and DCC monsters are very similar to D&D ones). Sometimes adjustments are needed, and I like to use +/-3 MR for each +/- to HD.

Maybe that helps?
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman

Return to “DCC RPG General”