DCC RPG nominated for the Three Castles Award!

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Geoffrey
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

DCC RPG nominated for the Three Castles Award!

Post by Geoffrey »

Have you guys seen this?
The North Texas RPG Con is proud to present our finalists for the Third Annual Three Castles Award for RPG Design. This year we have five finalists and I don't envy the judges...all are top notch.

The nominees for 2013 are:

Adventurer Conqueror King System
by: Alexander Macris

Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea
by: Jeffrey Talanian

Barrowmaze
by:Greg Gillespie

Cavemaster RPG
by: Jeff Dee

DCC RPG
by: Joseph Goodman

The judges for 2013 are:

Erol Otus
Peter Kerestan
Robert Kuntz
Rick Loomis
Steve Winter

The Third Annual Three Castles Award will be presented during the 5th Annual North Texas RPG con on June 6-9, 2013. Congratulations to all five finalists, and thanks to everyone who sent in a submission.

The past winners of the Three Castles award are The Dungeon Alphabet (Michael Curtis) and Stars Without Number (Kevin Crawford).

ntrpgcon.com
While all the nominees are fine products, I'm hoping that DCC RPG wins the award. :D
Click here to purchase my five AD&D modules.
Each of these modules is self-contained. No other books are required other than the three AD&D rulebooks (or a similar set of rules if you prefer).
Click here to purchase prints of Luigi Castellani's cover art for these modules.
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Re: DCC RPG nominated for the Three Castles Award!

Post by goodmangames »

Well, what do you know. I was wondering why they kept asking for copies of the book. :) Just kidding -- it's an honor and I hope to see DCC RPG continue to advance! The Three Castles Award is a positive step for RPG awards, in my opinion.
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
reverenddak

Post by reverenddak »

Awesome! 2013 is gonna be our year.
Reverend Dakota Jesus Ultimak, S.S.M.o.t.S.M.S., D.M.

(Dungeon) Master In Chief of Crawl! fanzine. - http://www.crawlfanzine.com/

"[...] there is no doubt that Dungeons and Dragons and its imitators are right out of the pit of hell." - William Schnoebelen, Straight talk on Dungeons & Dragons
Flexi
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Flexi »

There are some nice products on that list. ACKS is an excellent game but I do hope that DCC wins!
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

Flexi wrote:There are some nice products on that list. ACKS is an excellent game but I do hope that DCC wins!
Also that BIG dungeon adventure (Barrowmaze I&II)....looks real promising!
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

MrHemlocks wrote:
Flexi wrote:There are some nice products on that list. ACKS is an excellent game but I do hope that DCC wins!
I have been using Barrowmaze with DCC, and the two together rock mightily.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
ragboy
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by ragboy »

That's some tough competition.
AKA Paul Wolfe
The Mystic Bull: Check out our two FREE prehistoric adventures: The Steading of the Nergalites AND The Tribe of Ogg and the Gift of Suss
In the Prison of the Squid Sorcerer (PDF) and softcover: 12 Short Adventures for DCC!
The God-Seed Awakens: 3rd Level Adventure for DCC. New patron, new spells, lots of new monsters and the living weapons of the Empire of Thal!
My Gamer Profile
ThickSkullAdv
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by ThickSkullAdv »

Congratulations! I expect to read all about what you're going to wear to the awards ceremony. Seriously though, well deserved. DCC is a great game.
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

Raven_Crowking wrote:
MrHemlocks wrote:
I have been using Barrowmaze with DCC, and the two together rock mightily.
Hey, is it 2 or 1? Are they different products? And had anyone ever bought a hardcover from drive thru rpg?
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

beermotor wrote:Hey, is it 2 or 1? Are they different products? And had anyone ever bought a hardcover from drive thru rpg?
Be happy that you are currently in BM I; BM II is designed to be tougher, for higher-level parties.

Both are excellent.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

Do you just have the pdf? Or the hardcover? I'm considering picking up the hardcovers... wondering about quality...
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

I don't have the hardcovers, but I do have the softcover of BM I, so I suspect that the quality is good.

Does this mean that you will be leaving the pbp? If so, you will be missed, but I understand. It is a great product to run with, and I am sure that "seeing" part of it from a player's perspective (and I assure you, only a very, very small part, and modified by the person running it) has to have piqued your curiosity about the whole!
SoBH pbp:

beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

No way, not leaving... I'm an adult, I can role play even if I have the book. :-) I've actually looked at the map sample to check my work, I was very surprised to see that my map is really close.
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

FYI, I ordered Barrowmaze I and II hardbacks from RPGNow/drivethrurpg. It said that it takes a few days to print them, then they'll ship. So I should be able to tell you in a week or two what the quality is like. It ought to be pretty good, I imagine kind of similar binding and thickness to like the Dungeon Alphabet.

I'm pretty stoked, Barrowmaze has been a lot of fun in the PbP run by Raven Crowking, and I want to TPK my party so I can start 'em over on this. :-)
Machpants
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Machpants »

I kickstarted BII and got both hardcovers as a reward, they are good quality. I've not had any quality issues with RPGNow PoD, or in fact lulu.
LAST OF THE F3W
Gloria Finis
cthulhudarren
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by cthulhudarren »

I wanted to like ACKS, but warriors still suck compared to casters. DCC RPG warriors rule.

The strength of the ACKS system is the rules for domains and kingdoms.

Return to “DCC RPG General”