Where are stats for mithril items?

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

daddystabz
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Where are stats for mithril items?

Post by daddystabz »

I was awarded some mithril armor and a mithril longsword in the game tonight but I cannot find stats for these items anywhere in the book. Can anyone point me to where I can find these please?
TheNobleDrake
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Re: Where are stats for mithril items?

Post by TheNobleDrake »

There is not, nor is there really all that likely to be, any official "this is what mithril does" ruling.

You should ask your Judge what differences there are between mithril weapons and normal weapons.

Possiblities include, but are not limited to: lighter weight (possibly manifesting as a lessened armor check and fumble die), more durable, rust resistant, counted as silver for harming creatures only harmed by silver or vulnerable to silver, or nothing at all.
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ravenheart87 »

Mithril items have one important attribute: because they aren't made of iron, thus they don't burn the skin of elves.
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.
cthulhudarren
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by cthulhudarren »

TheNobleDrake wrote: Possiblities include, but are not limited to: lighter weight (possibly manifesting as a lessened armor check and fumble die), more durable, rust resistant, counted as silver for harming creatures only harmed by silver or vulnerable to silver
I would rule probably all of this. But then I would have to have some other rules, like limiting the strength bonus that can be used with it, and extra damage verses "fey" perhaps. All due to Anderson.
Colin

Post by Colin »

Apart from the fact that its only specific benefit rules-wise is that it doesn't burn elves, here're some thoughts I posted around the subject of elves and mithril when it came up before:
colin wrote:Elves are supposed to be sensitive to iron period: weapons, armour, utensils, that gate over there, iron itself is what is poisonous to the elves. It's derived from mythology, where iron was poisonous to the fae, and could even deter them as they were loathe to touch it or even go near it. Think of it more like a supernatural bane and you're on the right track. It notes that even exposure (close proximity) is uncomfortable for elves, and that they train with (and start with) a mithril weapon too. It wouldn't bother to go that route if simply having a wooden shaft, leather hilt wrap, or pair of gloves made using iron weapons bearable. I think enforcing the discomfort (including potential penalties after a few rounds of very close proximity) and damage from iron are vital tools in helping balance the class.
colin wrote:Consider that elves can only purchase one weapon and piece of armour in mithril at normal cost once, and that it's not really any better than normal iron rules-wise. Neither item is magical, but both items *are* desirable and expensive. Many magical weapons and armours are still going to be iron-based (and thus still deleterious to elves), plus anyone and everyone who knows what mithril is will take a very keen interest in the elven character, making them a likely target of thieves, thugs, and anyone else who desires mithril or recognizes its worth. Add in the risk of such mithril items getting lost, broken, confiscated, or otherwise removed from play, and the elf character is going to find that they are as much liability as benefit.
colin wrote:Unless an item is described ad being made of something that's distinctly "not iron/steel" then I assume it's iron/steel. I'd probably rule that 90% of magical weapons and armors are iron/steel-based, with the rest being made of unusual metals, alloys, or other substances. Then again, I'm not fussed about life being tough for elves; they can fight, wear armour, and wield magic, so while not distinctly the best at any of those things, they do have versatility and choice on their side. I think the difficulties caused by the iron bane are great for roleplaying too; really helps make the elves feel less human.
The Noble Drake also provided this useful point:
The Noble Drake wrote:I think it is also worth specifically noting that an Elf character isn't likely to get the last weapon and armor that they will ever want to be able to use when they get their once ever mithril discount, since that is specifically an option they have at 1st level - I know my buddy that is playing an Elf (with a particularly high Strength and moderate Intelligence) has plans to quest for mithril plate mail which he couldn't possibly have afforded at 1st level... and he'll need more mithril to re-forge his sword if he shatters it on a fumble again.
Hope that provides some food for thought. Personally, apart from being pretty and not hurting elf-kind, I wouldn't really give mithril any other benefits as it starts to advantage the Elf too much then, imo.

Colin
cthulhudarren
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by cthulhudarren »

Colin wrote: Hope that provides some food for thought. Personally, apart from being pretty and not hurting elf-kind, I wouldn't really give mithril any other benefits as it starts to advantage the Elf too much then, imo.

Colin
But we don't care about balance, now do we? Personally I'd make it lighter (-1d) on the fumble dice chain, and limit the Str bonus on damage to +1 due to its lightness. AND I'd treat it as a magic item in terms of sundering.

AND iron weapons do at least 1 burn damage to fey on each hit. :evil:
Colin

Post by Colin »

Out of context. The responses were primarily in a thread wherein someone was worried about elves being too powerful compared to magicians, and another thread wherein someone was worried about mithril cheapening the elven sensitivity to iron. Plus, there's "balance" and there's "balance", and not being too worried about it in the broad, general sense, doesn't automatically mean not giving a stuff about it period. Besides, those uppity demihumans need to be kept in their places. ;)

Colin
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

In my group last week, we had a good laugh about elves buying armor when the DM, pointing at each elf in turn, quipped:

"You purchase mithril leather armor, and you buy mithril hide."

:D
TheNobleDrake
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by TheNobleDrake »

Ogrepuppy wrote:"you buy mithril hide."
You found someone selling armor made from the hide of a dreaded white gorgon?! How lucky that you had the coin on hand to snatch it up before the merchant realized his error selling such a rare artifact.
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

Mithril-studded leather might be possible, and actually a fairly inexpensive option compared to like mithril chain, scale, etc... much less material required. I actually hadn't thought of that until just now, but elves would probably be precluded by iron-sensitivity from wearing leather studded with steel or iron, which would be the most common things to do. Interesting. This is actually a pretty strong check on elf power, the lack of AC. Or, if you prefer, it's a strong nudge in the ARRPEE direction of woodsy green elves from Tolkien, or fey-ish elves from other Appendix N authors.
Colin

Post by Colin »

Yep, that was one of the things Joseph liked, if I remember correctly; the use of rp-based solutions to mechanical questions.

Colin
One Horse Town
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by One Horse Town »

It's also worth noting that any Elves you play through the funnel are going to be burning all day long, baby!
cthulhudarren
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by cthulhudarren »

One Horse Town wrote:It's also worth noting that any Elves you play through the funnel are going to be burning all day long, baby!
Selves them right! Anderson rules!
Rostranor
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Rostranor »

This is what I used.

Mithril Armor & Weapons

Armor:
- Penalty Check reduced by 2
- Fumble die -1D
- Cost x150%
- Armor damaged in combat reduced to 15% for recovery
Mithril Armor forged for demihumans may be resized for others by an expert armorer skilled in mithril use and with the available materials. Cost is variable.

Weapons:
- half as light as normal weapon
- cost x150%
- may make a Luck check to keep weapon from breaking in combat.

Return to “DCC RPG General”