Aereth maps on this site

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

daddystabz
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Aereth maps on this site

Post by daddystabz »

Is there a way to look up any DCC RPG module on the map section of this site for Aereth to see where each particular module is located in the setting?
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Re: Aereth maps on this site

Post by MrHemlocks »

daddystabz wrote:Is there a way to look up any DCC RPG module on the map section of this site for Aereth to see where each particular module is located in the setting?
Good luck getting an answer. Aereth seems to be the taboo subject. Something like a red haired stepchild. No offical word on it...
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ravenheart87 »

Aereth is getting rebooted as far as I know.
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.
daddystabz
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by daddystabz »

When/how? And will it be DCC RPG compatible this time?
Ravenheart87 wrote:Aereth is getting rebooted as far as I know.
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

daddystabz wrote:When/how? And will it be DCC RPG compatible this time?
Ravenheart87 wrote:Aereth is getting rebooted as far as I know.
Good luck getting GG to reply... :?
cthulhudarren
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by cthulhudarren »

I'm hoping for a DCC RPG annual and a gm screen and dice before this!
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

cthulhudarren wrote:I'm hoping for a DCC RPG annual and a gm screen and dice before this!

I see a DCC campaign setting as being the glue that ties everything, game related, together. That is why such popular games as D&D, Pathfinder and Call of Cthulhu use campaign settings? :wink:
daddystabz
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by daddystabz »

It would be great to have something about the actual world I could use to show the players. A campaign setting is a pretty huge deal.
micahmoore
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by micahmoore »

Sure -
Theres an awesome map with a list of all the old modules locations.
(pre DCC ruleset)
http://www.goodman-games.com/dcc-aereth.html
click on the area to explore...

For the new ones you can mark some of em in yourself on the printouts.
Others you can just have ready for wherever the group
happens to go.
When you decide where to place them - keep them there for continuity/if they return to the town etc.

I put my groups funnel starting location in Longdale (near Halls of the Minotaur, and also placed
an old school campaign called Night Below nearby ( towns of Thurmaster and Milborne)
Then I mark them on the printout maps so players have a sense of possibility
of exploring a pre set world.
(Though most happens as the fog of war is lifted)

-MM
Colin

Post by Colin »

MrHemlocks wrote:Good luck getting GG to reply... :?
Personally, I think he'll happily let folks know when he has something of substance to say on the subject, and I'd much rather he spend time actually publishing materials, instead of constantly posting, "Nothing to report yet, sorry." whenever anyone asks the same questions that come up every week or so.

IIRC, he has said it will be rebooted for DCC, but beyond that we don't know anything. You'll simply have to be patient and wait like everyone else for news when it becomes available.

Colin
micahmoore
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by micahmoore »

P.S. Until the reboot, here's a chart list I made for easy reference....

Áereth Map locations of old DCC Modules
http://www.goodman-games.com/dcc-aereth.html
Module # / Map quadrant

0 MM3
1 MM3
2 MM3
3 MM2
4 MM7
5 MM3
6 MM4
7 MM4
8 MM8
9 (N/A -dungeons)
10 MM3
11 TM13
12 TM8
12.5 TM8
13 TM13
14 MM3/MM8/MM4/MM2
15 MM9
16 MM6
17 MM3
17.5 TM14
18 MM4
19 TM13
20 MM9
21 MM4
22 MM4
23 MM5
24 MM9
25 TM8
26 MM5
27 MM3
28 MM3
29 MM3/TM13/MM8/MM4/MM10/MM5/MM2/TM12
30 TM9
31 MM3
32 MM14
33 MM3
34 MM3
35A MM4
35B MM8
36 TM13
37 MM3
38 MM3
39 MM4
40 MM4
41 MM3
42 MM42
43 TM8
44 TM14
45 MM14
46 MM3/MM9/MM7/MM6
47 LM3
48 MM3/TM13/MM4/MM14/MM10/TM15/MM15
49 MM9
50 MM5
51 TM13
51.5 TM13
52 MM8
53 MM8 R
54 MM3 R
55 MM6 R
56 MM8 R
57 MM3 R
58 MM12 R
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

Colin wrote:
MrHemlocks wrote:Good luck getting GG to reply... :?
Personally, I think he'll happily let folks know when he has something of substance to say on the subject, and I'd much rather he spend time actually publishing materials, instead of constantly posting, "Nothing to report yet, sorry." whenever anyone asks the same questions that come up every week or so.

IIRC, he has said it will be rebooted for DCC, but beyond that we don't know anything. You'll simply have to be patient and wait like everyone else for news when it becomes available.

Colin

It only takes a few minutes to report something to the community. That time will not take away from publishing materials. And as for being patient..I have. Waited over one year now and still not a word about Aereth yet. How hard is to reply with a yes or no? We do or do not have anything related to Aereth planned for the near future? Not asking for much but once every 6 months, on the Aereth update, would not be too demanding...or would it? Like puling teeth...
Colin

Post by Colin »

It wasn't all that long ago I explained that it's entirely plausible he wouldn't have even started revising Aereth until he'd well and truly established the game including a string of adventures, and gotten back some solid information on sales and continuing viability of the line. Never mind that he might not have anything to reveal or that he wants to reveal yet. Never mind that he might have other priorities or that it might be a bigger job and more complete revision than expected. If you really feel he needs to do more, have you actually e-mailed Goodman Games (the more direct route given that Joseph can't possibly know about or check every thread here) and explained such?

Colin
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

MrHemlocks wrote:How hard is to reply with a yes or no? We do or do not have anything related to Aereth planned for the near future?
Would you be appeased if he said "August" but the deadline moved back three or four times and fell well into next year? How does that scenario help you? You still wouldn't really know when to expect it. -- Maybe he doesn't want to say anything until he can be sure. I'm sure he has plenty of first-hand experience on announcing something and then catching flack when the deadline is missed (as if people were denied something they were owed). Can you really blame him for keeping mum?

You may not know this, but you are pretty much bad-mouthing GG on their own forum over the fact that they haven't announced a launch date for a product. I think essentially we're all guests here. Can I show up at your house and start asking when dinner will be on the table? Or should I behave otherwise?
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
daddystabz
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by daddystabz »

Never mind that if ANY of that was the case all it would take is a simple 30 second post to put everyone at ease. I'm sorry but I'm not buying the excuses. I don't care how busy you are, I'm sure you can find 30 secs to say something substantial or a "we have nothing to announce yet but stay tuned" or even a "no plans for this at all."

I love the DCC rpg and Goodman Games and hope they announce something, whatever it is, soon.
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

GnomeBoy wrote:
MrHemlocks wrote:How hard is to reply with a yes or no? We do or do not have anything related to Aereth planned for the near future?
Would you be appeased if he said "August" but the deadline moved back three or four times and fell well into next year? How does that scenario help you? You still wouldn't really know when to expect it. -- Maybe he doesn't want to say anything until he can be sure. I'm sure he has plenty of first-hand experience on announcing something and then catching flack when the deadline is missed (as if people were denied something they were owed). Can you really blame him for keeping mum?

You may not know this, but you are pretty much bad-mouthing GG on their own forum over the fact that they haven't announced a launch date for a product. I think essentially we're all guests here. Can I show up at your house and start asking when dinner will be on the table? Or should I behave otherwise?

If he said August with a possible push back time till the following year that would be fine. Any answer would do at this point. If nothing is planned that is fine just let the community know. For than I will start to create a campaign setting for my group and delay no further. Or I could buy one of the already generic campaign settings being sold. My entire group of players were under the impression Aereth reborn would be a possibility but the longer we waited and still nothing from GG the more we doughted it would ever come about. So, I guess this is my last ditch effort to get an answer before making my own campaign or buying one that is already completed.

No one is 'bad mouthing' anyone! Just a customer that has questions and the store owner refuses to answer...in the least.

Even Hackmaster redone their campaign setting. They got rid of all the D&D stuff and made a nice PDF, least that is a good start, of the Kingdoms of Kalamar: http://www.kenzerco.com/product_info.ph ... cts_id=777

Hoping DCC could least do the same but...O'well) I enjoy the game and will continue to play no matter. Time for me to get the graph paper out and start the design process. Now what will I call my campaing setting...
TheNobleDrake
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by TheNobleDrake »

MrHemlocks wrote:
GnomeBoy wrote:Even Hackmaster redone their campaign setting. They got rid of all the D&D stuff and made a nice PDF, least that is a good start, of the Kingdoms of Kalamar: http://www.kenzerco.com/product_info.ph ... cts_id=777
What they actually did was release a pdf of a 20-year old version of their campaign setting that was originally printed intent to be used with AD&D - it happens to be easily utilized with the modern version of HackMaster, but is in no way actually designed for it.

Matter of fact is the campaign setting book you mention does have a few tiny rules elements (tables to randomly generate point of origin for character by race and region of campaign, to be specific), and those elements are AD&D (elf, dwarf, gnome, halfling, human) not HackMaster (the prior races plus as many more).
Colin

Post by Colin »

I asked the question above but was ignored, so I'm asking it again:

Have you actually directly e-mailed Goodman Games? Random poster on random thread on large forum not getting a reply, does not equal being noticed and ignored, so if it really matters to you, you try and contact directly, whether by e-mail or letter, or you run the very real risk of being missed as one tiny voice in a sea of voices.

Given your use of language ("red-haired stepchild" "good luck getting an answer" "I've waited a year" "this is my last ditch effort to get an answer" "Joseph is refusing to answer" "it's like pulling teeth" "If you are not going redo Aereth for us, as either free or pay downloads or even in paper form, can you than stop using it as a reference point in you core rule books and adventures" "I mean come on..how hard is to freaken take out the D&D stuff and reprint it?" "I see NO reason for such a delay for an almost ready complete campain setting", etc.) I can only assume you've sent a couple of direct e-mails, well-worded, and had no response. Is that true?

I do remember you asked before, and Joseph did answer you, by the way:
Goodman Games wrote:I've gotten so many requests for some sort of Aereth mini-setting that we may just have to do one. :) No promises, and I have to maintain the "first things first" policy -- gotta get the game out first, then some modules, then a DM screen. All that comes first. So we're not talking until "down the road" at the earliest. But I do acknowledge all the requests.
That may have been a bit over a year ago, but given that we haven't seen the DM screen yet, we're clearly not through the "first things first" woods, and he made it abundantly clear it was not something he was promising, and that even when it did appear it would be "down the road at the earliest".

Colin
Jim Skach
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Jim Skach »

This is why we can't have nice things...
Golgothmog
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Golgothmog »

As it is I don't feel a big desire for an 'official' setting. I've been having a lot of fun building something of my own that fits the flavor of DCC I enjoy... something crazy and epic and weird (it ain't a planet drifting in the regular universe).
A big cohesive setting to please the masses would be a lot of work... eating up resources I'd rather see turned to modules and sourcebooks for new patrons/spells and other genres.

Return to “DCC RPG General”