Time for a new tag-line?

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Machpants
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Time for a new tag-line?

Post by Machpants »

It strikes me as wrong every time I read it: "Remember the good old days, when adventures were underground, NPCs were there to be killed, and the finale of every dungeon was the dragon on the 20th level? Those days are back. Dungeon Crawl Classics don't waste your time with long-winded speeches, weird campaign settings, or NPCs who aren't meant to be killed. Each adventure is 100% good, solid dungeon crawl, with the monsters you know, the traps you fear, and the secret doors you know are there somewhere. "

Well DCC RPG is expressly not the monsters you know, that is a big selling point. So maybe time for new line in there! ;) Some of the other bits are a little of to, DCC is very much it's won game and the DCC tag line more applies to trying to play OS DnD, rather than DCC! :D

What thinks the floor? :D
LAST OF THE F3W
Gloria Finis
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Re: Time for a new tag-line?

Post by Ravenheart87 »

"Remember the good old days, when adventures were underground, NPCs were there to be killed, and the finale of every dungeon was the dragon on the 20th level? Those days are back on steroid. Dungeon Crawl Classics don't waste your time with long-winded speeches, boring campaign settings, or NPCs who aren't meant to be killed. Each adventure is 100% good, solid dungeon crawl, with monsters you never even heard about, the traps you fear, and the secret doors you know are there somewhere, and some seriously fucked up weird sh*t that blows your mind.
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.
Crimsontree
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Crimsontree »

The tag line doesn't describe the recent DCC modules & does them a disservice. They are more intelligently written than the description alludes to.
Rick
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
FLGS: Gateway Games & More

Post by Rick »

This works for me:
You’re no hero.
You’re an adventurer:
a reaver,
a cutpurse,
a heathen-slayer,
a tight-lipped warlock guarding long-dead secrets.
You seek gold and glory,
winning it with sword and spell,
caked in the blood and filth of the weak, the dark, the demons, and the vanquished.
There are treasures to be won deep underneath,
and you shall have them...
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ravenheart87 »

Yes, that sums up DCC RPG quite well.
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.
Scott Kellogg
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Scott Kellogg »

The OP's observation about the intro text rings true with me as well and is one of the first inconsistencies in the marketing spin that I noticed. This did not prevent me from being the proud parent of a Wizard cover book and Runner of Public Games.
Sir Robilar
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Sir Robilar »

I have to agree with you, Machpants! Time for a change. The "you're no hero" seems to describe the basic idea of the game, but not so much of the modules, I think. It would still be a better fit.

The other thing I would personally change is to make the gold on black cover of the first Limited edition THE cover of the core rulebook. Don't get me wrong, I love the regular art cover. But I have repeatedly made the experience that the players I know and game with (all in their 20s to early 30s if that information is worth anything) are slightly turned off by it or confused as to what it stands for. The Limited edition cover, in contrast, always triggers the same reaction: "What's this? -- can I have a look at it?".
cthulhudarren
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by cthulhudarren »

I totally agree. A new tagline is needed.

Return to “DCC RPG General”