How are you converting old Dnd modules to DCC?

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

dark cauliflower
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

How are you converting old Dnd modules to DCC?

Post by dark cauliflower »

guyz,

I was wondering how you are doing conversions for Dnd mods to DCC mods. Specifically I was curious about setting the right level for DCC. I was thinking about G123 and A1-4, possible D1-3.

Against the Giants was mid level for Dnd, level 10-14 i believe. Can't remember D1-3... probably higher. A1-4 were lower levels.

I haven't seen any guidelines in the DCC book yet, don't think there are any. But that's ok, this is DCC not Dnd... which is a good thing. :lol:

I love the monster section in DCC. Not only are monsters variable but they have different hit die!

Incidentally anyone convert their old Dnd characters to DCC yet? Or is that another subject?
Dark Cauliflower

--from deep night comes the cruciferiouz king!
TheNobleDrake
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Re: How are you converting old Dnd modules to DCC?

Post by TheNobleDrake »

I happen to be running a campaign on Friday nights that is built on my home-conversions (no, I won't share - I have decided it is best for each who would want to use them to do it themselves for their own DCC flair to be added) of T1-4, A1-4, G1-3, D1-3, and Q1 being used as a single story arc.

The characters are shaping up to be 2nd to 3rd level heading into the A series, and I expect they'll be right around 5th (probably a little short, depending on how much side stuff they find to do) heading into the G series.

Of course, the best thing that I can say is this: Who cares? Use the same or similar sorts of monsters and encounters as the D&D modules and play them at whatever level you like - the clever will survive, and the rest will be crushed!

Side note: My party of characters are still 1st level and most recently faced down a Hill Giant (with 90 hp) and his Bear companion, then later a pair of evil clerics of 3rd and 5th level - and not one of the PCs (there were 6 in both cases) died because they went at it smarter not harder.
dark cauliflower
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

I guess your right... just throw em in there and see what happens. I was thinking of a divide the suggested levels by 2 way of doing it but that's probably bogus. 10-14 becomes 5-7.

Maybe evilman games can get the rights to redo some of these classic modules in DCC! I know that's a fantasy but I can only think that classic cool would be better in the new flavor.
Dark Cauliflower

TheNobleDrake
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by TheNobleDrake »

I would actually recommend treating about 3 or 4 levels of AD&D as 1 level of DCC - Mighty Deeds make warriors much more potent, as do the spellcasting systems for Clerics and Wizards... and thieves... the comparison of the two paradigms (AD&D vs. DCC) is staggering considering how fully competent at a wide variety of skills the DCC thief is (1d20+3 find traps, and the same for disable traps and the DCC DC levels is a vast improvement over the AD&D ~25% when maxed out at 1st level find/remove traps).

As for conversion rights... waste of time for Goodman Games to even bother - they have plenty of original ideas that rock, and the nostalgia draw of converted old-school modules would be shattered by necessity as those old-school modules are worlds away from the DCC flavor and stuffed full of generic humanoid monsters and old favorite beasties... basically the furthest from DCC as one can get.
dark cauliflower
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

DCC is not Dnd! :lol:

I know you don't like some of the old good mods, but I still do. I'd almost rather have some of the mods than the hard cover 1rst edition books. I'm sure evilman games is listening and takening my wisdom into consideration.
Dark Cauliflower

beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

You should pay attention to what GnomeBoy and I have in store for the L1 pbp. :-)
Aplus
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Aplus »

Conversion is more of an art than a science, but here are some general guidelines I tend to follow, as I do conversion on the fly:

Attack bonus = HD
Save bonus = 1/2 HD
I believe AD&D assumes d8 for monster HD, but don't be afraid to use d10 or d12, since DCC guys are way stronger.

It's really not hard at all.

As far as determining equivalent levels, I don't think you can really do that. Magic items are too big of a variable. But if it helps at all, I've run White Plume Mountain for a group of five level 5 DCC PCs with no magic items and it seemed about right.
Check out my DCC Resources Page for cool stuff!
dark cauliflower
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

heh, if you think that's crazy I'm trying to figure out how to figure out when a character would be a Hero in my freshly arrived Book of War! :lol: It seems in the book characters don't really count until they reach level 10 in dnd terms, then they become heroes. I'm thinking perhaps level 2 or 3 for DCC. Need to look at ability charts and such, probably insanity on my part.
Dark Cauliflower

Return to “DCC RPG General”