Patrons without the spells

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, michaelcurtis, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

dark cauliflower
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Patrons without the spells

Post by dark cauliflower »

guyz,

I went through Elric: the Making of a Sorceror a little while ago. It goes through how Elric acquired his relationships with beings we would consider Patrons in DCC. Now what was interesting was how he didn't go the route of spell casting to get the relationships. One he acquired by freeing the beings sister from a chaos demon. The other was offered, from Arioch. While the cost wasn't free, he allowed Arioch into the world and had to give him souls any time he invoked him. How to weave this into DCC?

The elemental bond in the comic was something that happened as part of saving the Dreaming City. It wasn't the quest but an incidental to the saving.

The Arioch bond seemed like a temptation to Elric. He was told not to call on Arioch or wreck great havoc upon the world.

I'd submit that we follow the bond patron rules without the spell casting and the randomness for both of these cases. Remember it wasn't Elric who was asking for the bond, these came to him!

thoughts?
Dark Cauliflower

--from deep night comes the cruciferiouz king!
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Re: Patrons without the spells

Post by finarvyn »

I don't see why you can't do patron bonding that way, although it would seem to require more role-play work from both player and game master in order to figure out the exact conditions under which such could occur.

On the other hand, as Elric clearly has some sort of spellcasting talent, perhaps one could argue that he would have cast such a spell "off camera" in the story but that we just didn't get to see it happen.

It's funny that when I think of patrons, one of the first characters I think of is Elric. And Elric would be an example of when to bend the rule on patrons. :lol:
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
dark cauliflower
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

yeah, he does things differently but in an illuminating way.

I think he breaks the bonds of DCC character class and race but I'm still gathering my thoughts on that one. Could have big ramifications for my game.
Dark Cauliflower

GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

dark cauliflower wrote:...Remember it wasn't Elric who was asking for the bond, these came to him!

thoughts?
"Patron as treasure" -- discuss...
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
dark cauliflower
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Arioch appears to be the one who gave the Stormbringer sword to Elric's line. He also appears to give battle aid in other ways, as he shows up and starts destroying everything. He seems to be a great boon to Elric.

But we all know its dealing with his ultimate doom. Patrons aren't nice guyz.
Dark Cauliflower

Return to “DCC RPG General”