What'z going into your DCC Dm kit?

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

dark cauliflower
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

What'z going into your DCC Dm kit?

Post by dark cauliflower »

guyz,

What are you adding to your DCC DM Kit? I've got one addition so far, The Book of War. I'm also thinking that Vornheim might be useful.

Im not getting a battlemap. But Ill probably get some minis to go with The Book of War.
Dark Cauliflower

--from deep night comes the cruciferiouz king!
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Re: What'z going into your DCC Dm kit?

Post by Raven_Crowking »

I intend on getting a Magic 8-Ball.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
TheNobleDrake
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by TheNobleDrake »

Raven_Crowking wrote:I intend on getting a Magic 8-Ball.
Save yourself a little cash and write a chart: it's just a d20 with vague answers written on it floating inside there, anyways.

My DM Kit:
2 vinyl battle mats, one small, one large (though not the largest available) just in case I need them.
Dungeon Tiles (the City, Dungeon, and Wilderness "master sets", plus some swamp tiles) just in case I feel like using them.
Lots of minis (some big dragons from WotC, the whole Heroes & Monsters set of Pathfinder minis, a few metal Reaper minis, and the whole of the Bones Kickstarter rewards coming eventually) just in case I feel like using them.
Pathfinder's Bestiary Box of "pawns" so that I can represent just about every monster I might want to.

Custom made 3-fold Judge's screen used in conjunction with Purple Sorcerer's Crawler Companion app.

The Wilderlands of High Fantasy

A growing stack of house-rules including, but not limited to, monks, psions, expanded weapons, piecemeal armors, re-organized and expanded spells for both wizard and cleric characters (involving separation of all spells into their schools of magic, adding many spells from one list (cleric or wizard) to the other, 21 spells I am still working on writing, and cleric domain spell lists to help determine what spells a cleric of which god receives), and hard-caps for attack bonus, AC, save DC, save bonuses and skill bonuses despite unlimited level progression... and I am also accumulating a very large document of monsters built the way I want (a combination of old-school style with new school presentation and codified benefits of Hit Dice so that I don't have two of my creations with the same HD end up being too extremely different in their threat level unless they are extremely different in their ability scores or special powers.)

...and the most important thing: A table that seats 10 with nobody complaining about being crowded.
mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by mythfish »

TheNobleDrake wrote:
Save yourself a little cash and write a chart: it's just a d20 with vague answers written on it floating inside there, anyways.
One of my old DMs actually broke open the Magic 8-ball and rolled the die he found therein.
Dieter Zimmerman
[[Faceless Minion of the Dark Master]]
Nicomos
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Nicomos »

I've been using Dungeon Alphabet, Tome of Adventure Design, & Wilderness Alphabet, a "battle mat", dry erase markers, a ton of Otherworld mini's (Can't wait until I get my "Dungeon Adventurers" from them. ).
dark cauliflower
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

I've thought about the Dungeon Alphabet but I can't get a good grasp on how it will improve the game for me. Is the Wilderness Alphabet by Goodman games!?!
Dark Cauliflower

Nicomos
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Nicomos »

dark cauliflower wrote:I've thought about the Dungeon Alphabet but I can't get a good grasp on how it will improve the game for me. Is the Wilderness Alphabet by Goodman games!?!
Dungeon Alphabet is a neat, for two reasons for me- it has random charts, so if yer stuck for ideas a roll on a table might get you started again. and it has "old school" art. And, if I am to be completely honest-it was the art in DCC that sold me on the game/ Once I bought it, I couldn't help but "love" the "weirdness":shock:

Wilderness Alphebet isn't from Goodman. You can find it on Lulu-it's by Jim Pacek- and is pretty much the same sort of thing. Insperation.
dark cauliflower
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

oh ho, I didn't know it had random chartz in it. I need to do some more diggin into it then. From the descriptions I've seen of it so far it seemed like: "D is for Dungeon: a dungeon is a dark place you go to adventure".
Dark Cauliflower

caveman
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by caveman »

magic 8 ball is d20 powered??? Wow! I had no idea.
RevTurkey
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by RevTurkey »

Pencils, paper and a rubber.

Tea & Coffee facilities.

Portable Desktop Music Stand (my DM screen..with laminated charts to put on when required)

iPad loaded with Dungeon Alphabet, Tome of Adventure Design and DCC RPG bookmarked for spells.

Main rulebook, dice, character sheets and the adventure module of the day.
Playing since about 1980
Latest games: DCC RPG of course!
Quote I like: "I am on a computer therfore I am" (Alan Plater)
cjoepar
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by cjoepar »

Really? I'm the only one with tequila in his kit?
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

mythfish wrote:
TheNobleDrake wrote:
One of my old DMs actually broke open the Magic 8-ball and rolled the die he found therein.
I was thinking that the Magic 8-Ball would actually be a cool prop.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
dark cauliflower
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

cjoepar wrote:Really? I'm the only one with tequila in his kit?

Im hoping to have a couple bottles of mead in mine. Drinking a little right nowz.
Dark Cauliflower

GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

caveman wrote:magic 8 ball is d20 powered??? Wow! I had no idea.
Hunh. The one I broke into, back in the day, was a d8... :?
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
SavageRobby
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by SavageRobby »

My list of stuffs:
  • DCC Rules x2*
  • Ultimate Toolbox*
  • Dungeon Alphabet*
  • Crawl Magazine
  • d30 Companion
  • 1E DMG
  • Bits of Darkness Dungeons/Caverns
  • Points of Light I/II
  • Gygax Book of Names
  • Vornheim

* These I like so much I bought both hardcopy and PDF.
dark cauliflower
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

the book of names would be cool but people are charging 300.00 bucks for it. That's 6 or 7 copies of DCC!
Dark Cauliflower

Colin

Post by Colin »

Mine:

* DCC Core
* My various Crawl articles
* TOAD
* Dungeon Alphabet Revised
* RECG
* The rather badass freely-downloable DCC Reference Sheets booklet and cover (nicely printed and bound with a goldenrod card cover)
* The also awesome and freely downloable What To Roll DCC reference sheet
* A sheet with some House Rules
* My moleskine (to record notes)
* Some stuff I can't tell you about yet
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

Colin wrote:* Some stuff I can't tell you about yet
I'm not exactly sure how you managed to smuggle Harley out of the country and into your DM's bag....but bravo, and excellent choice.
Colin

Post by Colin »

Hah! No, not Harley. :)

Colin
Colin

Post by Colin »

For interested folks, Wikipedia has the 20 results of the Magic 8-Ball listed as:

It is certain
It is decidedly so
Without a doubt
Yes – definitely
You may rely on it
As I see it, yes
Most likely
Outlook good
Yes
Signs point to yes
Reply hazy, try again
Ask again later
Better not tell you now
Cannot predict now
Concentrate and ask again
Don't count on it
My reply is no
My sources say no
Outlook not so good
Very doubtful

Colin
cthulhudarren
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by cthulhudarren »

TheNobleDrake wrote:

My DM Kit:
2 vinyl battle mats, one small, one large (though not the largest available) just in case I need them.
Dungeon Tiles (the City, Dungeon, and Wilderness "master sets", plus some swamp tiles) just in case I feel like using them.
Lots of minis (some big dragons from WotC, the whole Heroes & Monsters set of Pathfinder minis, a few metal Reaper minis, and the whole of the Bones Kickstarter rewards coming eventually) just in case I feel like using them.
Pathfinder's Bestiary Box of "pawns" so that I can represent just about every monster I might want to.

Custom made 3-fold Judge's screen used in conjunction with Purple Sorcerer's Crawler Companion app.

The Wilderlands of High Fantasy

A growing stack of house-rules including, but not limited to, monks, psions, expanded weapons, piecemeal armors, re-organized and expanded spells for both wizard and cleric characters (involving separation of all spells into their schools of magic, adding many spells from one list (cleric or wizard) to the other, 21 spells I am still working on writing, and cleric domain spell lists to help determine what spells a cleric of which god receives), and hard-caps for attack bonus, AC, save DC, save bonuses and skill bonuses despite unlimited level progression... and I am also accumulating a very large document of monsters built the way I want (a combination of old-school style with new school presentation and codified benefits of Hit Dice so that I don't have two of my creations with the same HD end up being too extremely different in their threat level unless they are extremely different in their ability scores or special powers.)

...and the most important thing: A table that seats 10 with nobody complaining about being crowded.
I like the cut of your jib.
Crimsontree
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Crimsontree »

TOAD = Tome of Adventure Design
RECG = Random Esoteric Creature Generator
Last edited by Crimsontree on Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vanguard
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Vanguard »

The Dungeon Alphabet is neat. I'm going to have a review up on my blog once life slows down after the turn of the year.
My Gaming Blog: The Earthlight Academy
http://earthlightacademy.blogspot.com/
Flexi
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Flexi »

dark cauliflower wrote:the book of names would be cool but people are charging 300.00 bucks for it. That's 6 or 7 copies of DCC!
Holy moly! Last time I looked it was about £12 on ebay. It was one of the cheapest and the last Gygaxian Fantasy books I bought. There seemed to be quite a few of that book and Insidiae being sold brand new and relatively cheaply at the time. I bought the Book of Names at the time only to complete the full set of them but I have not regretted buying it. Sure you can get name generators on the internet but I do like my deadtree copies.

My DM's kit varys but usually consists of:
Ultimate Toolbox (great book, I always carry this, sometimes TOAD as well if needed)
RECG
Plastic figures from Caesar/Strelets
Miscellaneum of Cinder (a useful little book)
Vornheim for quick ideas on urban adventure (sometimes Cityworks but Vornheim is smaller)
Wilderness and/or Dungeon Alphabet
My lucky dice bag and dice (at least one set of crystal caste dice)
cthulhudarren
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by cthulhudarren »

Crawl! Issues, DCC and Basic/1st Ed DnD modules, and hopefully a Shanthopal campaign setting. And I need a Judges screen.

Return to “DCC RPG General”