New to DCC RPG

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Heffner
Far-Sighted Wanderer

New to DCC RPG

Post by Heffner »

About a week or so ago I bought the DCC RPG PDF off DriveThruRPG.com. I love it!

Just ordered my hardcopy from Troll and Toad. They had two copies left.

My local gaming store has NO copies and doesn't know when they'll be in. They told me numerous people have been calling about it.

I don't have any of the pre-made adventures, so I am putting together something for my group. I can't wait to kill off some peasants *ahem* lead them through an exciting adventure!

Quick question - are some of the old DCC adventures playable through this? I note some of them are for over level 10 characters so those are probably not appropriate.
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Re: New to DCC RPG

Post by Harley Stroh »

Welcome, Heffner!

You could certainly run the 3.5/4e DCCs, but you'd need to do a little conversion work. I started converting Into the Wilds (here) but things got pretty busy and I haven't been back in a while.

Made not Born would be a simple one if you have it.

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Heffner wrote:Quick question - are some of the old DCC adventures playable through this? I note some of them are for over level 10 characters so those are probably not appropriate.
One quick note. The level span from DCC RPG to 3.5 is radically different. You can definitely run mid-high level DCC RPG PCs in adventures calling for PCs level 10+. It is ≠ a 1 to 1 ratio.

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
Benoist
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Benoist »

Welcome dude! :D
Visit The RPG Site, that "wretched hive of scum and villainy" gamers keep talking about!
Advice to build a mega-dungeon and the campaign around it.
IronWolf
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by IronWolf »

Heffner wrote:About a week or so ago I bought the DCC RPG PDF off DriveThruRPG.com. I love it!

Just ordered my hardcopy from Troll and Toad. They had two copies left.
This sounds so much like my story! I picked up the PDF earlier this week from Paizo's site. And then ordered from Troll and Toad this afternoon, except they said they had one copy left!

I managed to do a quick character gen session with my son last night and then we started the funnel and had a TPK. We definitely needed more than the 6 characters we tried to run through it. It was a great time!
Heffner
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Heffner »

We must have purchased the last two copies they had. Haha!
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ravenheart87 »

I think we should start a sticky thread where newcomers can introduce themselves. Welcome aboard everyone, and have fun!
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.
Colin

Post by Colin »

Ravenheart87 wrote:I think we should start a sticky thread where newcomers can introduce themselves. Welcome aboard everyone, and have fun!
Seconded. It keeps things easy-to-find and localized, helps folks get to know each other a little, and reduces forum clutter.

On that front, a lot of folks keep posting errata and FAQ questions in lots of separate threads. The "Stomp the Typo!" thread really needs renaming so it is more clearly the location to find and post errata questions, etc.

Something like: ERRATA & FAQ - Seek and Post Here

Colin
Vanguard
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Vanguard »

Harley Stroh wrote:
Heffner wrote:Quick question - are some of the old DCC adventures playable through this? I note some of them are for over level 10 characters so those are probably not appropriate.
One quick note. The level span from DCC RPG to 3.5 is radically different. You can definitely run mid-high level DCC RPG PCs in adventures calling for PCs level 10+. It is ≠ a 1 to 1 ratio.

//H
I'm going to convert Keep on the Borderlands soon. I'm getting the impression that 1st edition converts more closely on a 1-1.

For other editions, I'm pretty much dividing the levels in by 2. For example, a level 4-6 adventure in 3.5 would 2-3 in DCC RPG. Of course, this not an exact formula, but it seems to be working.
My Gaming Blog: The Earthlight Academy
http://earthlightacademy.blogspot.com/
TheNobleDrake
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by TheNobleDrake »

Vanguard wrote:
Harley Stroh wrote:

//H
I'm going to convert Keep on the Borderlands soon. I'm getting the impression that 1st edition converts more closely on a 1-1.

For other editions, I'm pretty much dividing the levels in by 2. For example, a level 4-6 adventure in 3.5 would 2-3 in DCC RPG. Of course, this not an exact formula, but it seems to be working.
AD&D (or maybe it was basic or both) is my favorite to convert... mostly because of how old school D&D was set up so that "Monster Levels" came out to being 1 through 10, with "10th level monsters" referring to everything of a certain XP value and higher since a party of 10th level characters - with the right preparation and intelligent play - could take down almost every threat ever given stats.
bitflipr
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by bitflipr »

If AD&D converts 1:1 with DCC I'd be curious how viable the GDQ series would be, since its levels range from 8-14. This would imply that the PCs would be under-powered a couple adventures into the series. Perhaps the ratio is more subtle: 2:3?
Rick
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
FLGS: Gateway Games & More

Post by Rick »

bitflipr wrote:If AD&D converts 1:1 with DCC I'd be curious how viable the GDQ series would be, since its levels range from 8-14. This would imply that the PCs would be under-powered a couple adventures into the series. Perhaps the ratio is more subtle: 2:3?
I think you misunderstood -- look closer at Harley's statement:
Harley Stroh wrote:It is ≠ a 1 to 1 ratio.

//H
See the slash through the equals sign? That's an inequation sign; it means it's not a 1 to 1 ratio. 10th level DCC characters are practically demi-gods.
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ravenheart87 »

bitflipr wrote:If AD&D converts 1:1 with DCC I'd be curious how viable the GDQ series would be, since its levels range from 8-14. This would imply that the PCs would be under-powered a couple adventures into the series. Perhaps the ratio is more subtle: 2:3?
Or the 1:1 is only good on lower levels. Maybe from level 1-5.
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.
IronWolf
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by IronWolf »

Heffner wrote:We must have purchased the last two copies they had. Haha!
Yep! Can't wait for it to arrive. I went with the Priority mail option and they aren't that far from me. I think I could see it as early as Tuesday or maybe Wednesday. I've already advised my son we have a copy on its way.
bitflipr
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by bitflipr »

Rick wrote:
I think you misunderstood -- look closer at Harley's statement:
Harley Stroh wrote:It is ≠ a 1 to 1 ratio.

//H
See the slash through the equals sign? That's an inequation sign; it means it's not a 1 to 1 ratio. 10th level DCC characters are practically demi-gods.
Harley's response was regarding D&D 3.5 (most of the older DCC modules). My comment was aimed towards Vanguard and TheNobleDrake that were suggesting AD&D 1st Edition conversion is 1:1.
TheNobleDrake
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by TheNobleDrake »

bitflipr wrote:Harley's response was regarding D&D 3.5 (most of the older DCC modules). My comment was aimed towards Vanguard and TheNobleDrake that were suggesting AD&D 1st Edition conversion is 1:1.
Based entirely on what I have seen happen with some 20+ result totals on enlarge (+4 Attack, Damage & AC, +10 temporary HP), magic missile (1d4+2 missiles dealing 1d6+CL damage), and some other effects thus far in the game... I think one could, with a party consisting of at least one decent representation (meaning no 8 strength warriors and 4 intelligence wizards) of warrior, wizard, cleric, and thief and a few additional party members - a party of 6-9 like AD&D mods tended to be written for - play through the entire super-arc involving the Giants Series [T1-4, A1-4, GDQ1-7] as a 1-10 (with the GDQ portion all falling in the 8-10 range with say, hitting 9th after or during G1 and being nearly 10th before D2) campaign.

All it would take is a bit of time padding (just a couple days to breathe hear and there) and a group of players playing smart and willingly taking risk (spellburn, risking disapproval by not being stingy about casting, burning luck to get those backstabs in, etc.) while avoiding as much danger (getting surrounded by enemies, charging through a door in a dungeon, not fleeing to regroup when the fight starts with the party at clear disadvantage, etc.) as possible.

I actually want to run that very super-arc, converting Village of Homlett to the funnel adventure by having some townfolk get fed up that neither the Viscount of Verbobonc nor the Lord Mayor of Greyhawk seem to be willing to send any more men into the area to figure out why bandits and monsters are on the rise... and taking the elder's stories about the moathouse as indication as where to look first. I think the bandits, and collection of dangerous animals and vermin of the surface level would be sufficient for the funnel portion, and the party could be level 1 to delve into the moathouse dungeons...

Unfortunately... I made the unknowing misstep to declare I would be running that super-arc in AD&D at such a time that we had one session of it, I declared I had too much going on trying to make it all fancy with MapTool and digital maps hand painted by myself, and that I wanted to start a DCC campaign in the meanwhile since I had just received my PDF for pre-ordering... and the group voted down the idea of immediately diving into the super-arc as DCC instead of AD&D.

...perhaps they'll reconsider by the time the current DCC campaign comes to close...
Rick
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
FLGS: Gateway Games & More

Post by Rick »

bitflipr wrote: Harley's response was regarding D&D 3.5 (most of the older DCC modules). My comment was aimed towards Vanguard and TheNobleDrake that were suggesting AD&D 1st Edition conversion is 1:1.
oops :oops: You're absolutely right, my bad.

Return to “DCC RPG General”