How crunchy/detailed is it?

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

daddystabz
Wild-Eyed Zealot

How crunchy/detailed is it?

Post by daddystabz »

I just got my copy the other day and have only begun reading it now. It looks stunning but I do worry a bit how crunchy it might be. Is the game very rules-heavy? How fast does combat and spell casting flow? How does it feel in terms of crunchiness compared to 3.5e or Pathfinder or 4e?

Thanks in advance!
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Re: How crunchy/detailed is it?

Post by finarvyn »

My thought on this is that the DCC RPG can be crunchy or not. You have a lot of control over how you play your game.

There are some elements like critical hits that seem tricky at first, but they mostly involve looking up a result in a table. Same thing with spell casting; each spell has a table but fundamentally spell casting isn't that hard.

Some of the other rules could be left out in order to streamline play. You could eliminate Spellburn or Mighty Deeds, for example, and still have a fun game.

I'd say start off with the basics and add in more complex rules as you like.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
Colin

Post by Colin »

THIS thread discusses your very question.

Colin
Vanguard
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Vanguard »

I think DCC RPG is deceiving. It's a large book with lots of charts, but the actual mechanics of it are very straight forward. There are some handy reference sheets which compile all of the crit tables, which means the only reason you'll need to open your book will be to level and to look up spell results.
My Gaming Blog: The Earthlight Academy
http://earthlightacademy.blogspot.com/
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ravenheart87 »

The crunchy stuff isn't always needed. Crits, fumbles don't happen too often, just like spell mishaps, but when they do happen, noone is going to care about the crunch, because it's awesome.
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.
toadlike
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by toadlike »

Vanguard wrote:I think DCC RPG is deceiving. It's a large book with lots of charts, but the actual mechanics of it are very straight forward. There are some handy reference sheets which compile all of the crit tables, which means the only reason you'll need to open your book will be to level and to look up spell results.
I agree with vanguard a 100%

DCC looks a bit intimidating at first glance. I mean, it's a huge book with a lot of tables. But looks can be deceiving. In reality DCC is a really, really simple game that happens to have a lot of tables.

Spell Duels are the only really complicated thing I've found in the 400+ page book. I'm thinking about just ignoring that part.
http://toadlike.tumblr.com/ => Where I blog about science-fantasy, philosophy of a pessimistic bent, and the best clubs in Atlanta.

Dungeon Crawl Classics RPG= survival horror of the finest caliber.

Return to “DCC RPG General”