Working on Gods & Powers of Shanthopal

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Re: Working on Gods & Powers of Shanthopal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Any preference as to which god I detail next?
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

Raven_Crowking wrote:Any preference as to which god I detail next?
Zu-Jarris, absolutely. :twisted:
TheNobleDrake
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by TheNobleDrake »

Ogrepuppy wrote:
I will heartily second that suggestion - outright forbidden gods always interest me.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

TheNobleDrake wrote:
Ogrepuppy wrote:
I will heartily second that suggestion - outright forbidden gods always interest me.
Your wish is my command. :D

I have a bit of actual work-work to do first, but the next god I post will be Zu-Jarris.....complete with clerical and patron information!
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

I've finished the basics of Zu-Jarris, and just have to do the cleric and patron information. Keeping in mind other work that needs doing, I hope to have this posted by next week.
SoBH pbp:

Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

No worries. You can't rush quality. ;)
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Ogrepuppy wrote:No worries. You can't rush quality. ;)
Apparently, you can't rush my material, either! :lol:
SoBH pbp:

Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

Raven_Crowking wrote:
Ogrepuppy wrote:No worries. You can't rush quality. ;)
Apparently, you can't rush my material, either! :lol:
:: rim shot ::

Now stop wise-cracking and get typing! :mrgreen:
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Well, "complete with clerical and patron information" is something that's going to take a little longer than I had planned. :oops:

I have to detail ten new clerical spells along with the patron information, so I will have to break this up over a few posts and a couple of days. Zu-Jarris has proven to be a bit of a difficult god, as it turns out. No wonder He is forbidden in Shanthopal! :lol:

Anyway, here is where I am so far:

Zu-Jarris (The Night Blade, Lord of the Tainted Cup, He Who Breathes Death Through Keyholes)
Demi-Power (in Shanthopal)

Alignment: Neutral
Portfolio: Assassins, Poison, Traps
Symbol: A Blackened Dagger.
Clerical Raiment: No special raiment; clerics of Zu-Jarris do not call attention to themselves with specific clothing.
Organisation: In the City of Hu-Rashoi, far to the East, there is said to be an open Temple of the Night Blade, wherein folk may come to drink the poisoned cup, or to give the names of their enemies to Zu-Jarris’ priests. Apart from this Temple, there is no open organisation dedicated to Zu-Jarris. Instead, each cleric or worshipper knows, at best, 1-5 others who follow the path of the assassin god. Instructions are passed through these cells of worshippers, or through omens from the Lord of the Tainted Cup Himself.

Clerics of Zu-Jarris can be recognised by Eastern thieves who follow the Path of the Assassin though the use of secret hand-gestures and phrases that identify themselves. A cleric of Zu-Jarris need not make these signs if he chooses to remain incognito.

Places of Worship: Apart from the Temple in Hu-Rashoi, there are no official places of worship for Zu-Jarris. He is often worshipped by his devotees over the still-warm bodies of those they have assassinated in Zu-Jarris’ name. Note that this does not mean those murdered, slain in passion, or slain in combat for personal gain or glory — only those slain on the behest of another, as an act of assassination. Those who wish His favour or wish to honour Him sometimes carve a symbol of a dagger in some out of the way place, make a quick prayer, and then hurriedly leave.

Zu-Jarris is often given offerings by those who believe they may be targeted by Eastern assassins. These are usually wealthy and powerful men, and they sacrifice animals (usually sheep, cattle, horses, and camels) to He Who Breaths Death Through Keyholes in hopes that the sacrificial victims’ blood will satisfy Zu-Jarris. In some cases, human sacrifices have been known to occur. These are usually performed in some private location, with burned incense and invocations to the God of Assassins, begging him to accept the sacrifice.

Those who would sacrifice to Zu-Jarris are wise to abase themselves, as it is said that He abhors the prideful. Some believe that spending money on public works is pleasing to Zu-Jarris, and may turn his attention away. In this case, the place of penance or of charity also becomes a place of worship (or appeasement).

Details of Power: There is no Power or God known in Shanthopal who is more mysterious than Zu-Jarris. No one can say what the God of Assassins looks like, for he is never seen in His own guise. Although worshipping Zu-Jarris is illegal in Shanthopal, his name is still called upon by Eastern assassins, and He is given offerings by those who would avert His attentions.

Associations: Zu-Jarris associates with all the Eastern gods, to some degree, as He and or His agents carry out their divine wills. Whether a god serves Law or Chaos is of no matter to Zu-Jarris. Ages ago, He assassinated the gods themselves on behalf of their rivals, but now there is an uneasy truce among the Eastern gods not to call upon Zu-Jarris to eliminate other Powers. Mortals, of course, are fair targets.

Whether a god is of the East or the West makes no difference to the Night Blade, either, and He has been making inroads in the West. There are rumours that some of the Western gods, who have no pact limiting their use of Zu-Jarris, have paid Him honours…but these rumours are difficult to confirm, as no one can be said to have any certain knowledge of Zu-Jarris’ deeds or contacts.

Allies: Zu-Jarris has no allies, save those who would be his clients.
Foes: Zu-Jarris has no foes, save those who are his targets. Sometimes clients and targets overlap.

Holy Days: The Dark of the Moon. On nights when the moon is dark, devotees of Zu-Jarris may commit any profane act (but not sin) without fear of censure (in fact, they are commanded to), but may perform no assassination until the first sliver of the first moon appears. This outlet is important both the the clerics of Zu-Jarris, whose discipline is otherwise unrelenting, and for their targets, who are allowed to breathe freely for at least one night each month.
What is Sacred: Assassination. The act of clever and stealthy killing, where the victim is unaware he has been assassinated, and the act appears to be from some other (natural) cause. Specifically, the act of sublimating personal desires to meet the needs of one’s client through as gentle and untraceable an assassination as possible. Few assassins experience the highest sublimities of the sacred, and few of those who do experience them often.
What is Profane: Weakness of the body, the spirit, or the mind. Acting from desire without thought. Carnal passion. Amassing more wealth than one needs. Seeking personal revenge. Crass murder. Botching an assassination, or committing a poorly realised assassination. Being discovered.
What is a Sin: Sharing the secrets of your cell of worshippers. Allowing a target to live through pity, fear, greed, or similar weaknesses. Letting your client know who you actually are. Failing to make good on a contract to assassinate because you pursue another opportunity, or because you give up. A cleric of Zu-Jarris using his Lay on Hands ability on anyone who is not a member of his cell of worshippers.
Omens:

Details of Clerics:

Assassin’s Path: Clerics of Zu-Jarris gain some abilities which are similar to those of thieves following the Path of the Assassin. A cleric of Zu-Jarris can perform the following functions as a Chaotic thief of two levels below his clerical level: Backstab, Sneak Silently, Hide in Shadows, Disguise Self, and Handle Poison. Thus, a 3rd level cleric of Zu-Jarris gains these skills as per a 1st level Chaotic thief. These are divinely granted abilities, however, and the cleric must make a Spell Check (with the bonus from Table 1-9 factored into this instead of a normal skill check), and risks disapproval. Even when the cleric makes a Backstab attempt, he uses his spell check for the attack roll (and can gain a critical hit or suffer both disapproval and a fumble).

Luck: A cleric of Zu-Jarris does not Turn Unholy. Instead, this cleric adds his Luck modifier to the skills gained through the Assassin’s Path.

Spells of His God:

Level 1 (Roll 1d10): (1) Darkness, (2) Detect Evil, (3) Detect Magic, (4-5) Mark Target+, (6) Paralysis, (7) Resist Cold or Heat, (8) Second Sight, (8) Unseen Strike+, (10) Word of Command.
Level 2 (Roll 1d7): (1) Banish, (2) Curse, (3) Divine Symbol, (4) Hold Target+, (5) Lotus Stare, (6) Poisoned Blade+, (7) Seek Target+.
Level 3 (Roll 1d6): (1) Call to Mark+, (2) Mask of Zu-Jarris+, (3) Sleep*, (4) Speak With the Dead, (5) Spiritual Weapon, (6) True Name.
Level 4 (Roll 1d4): (1) Knock*, (2) Invisibility*, (3) Poisoned Breath+, (4) True Strike+.
Level 5 (Roll 1d5): (1-2) Righteous Fire, (3-5) Touch of Zu-Jarris+.
* Treat these spells as the Wizard spells of the same name. The cleric does not suffer corruption or patron taint. The cleric has a -2 penalty to all spell checks on these spells.
+ New spell

Turn Unholy: Clerics of Zu-Jarris do not gain this ability.
SoBH pbp:

smathis
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by smathis »

This is great stuff, RC.

Chaotic Polymaths have a nice little trick they can do in TA/TG that you might want to consider for one of your evil Cleric cults.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Thanks for the kudos, and I really look forward to seeing TA/TG!
SoBH pbp:

Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Okay, I give up. Formatting tables on a message board is a right pain in the arse. What I am thinking is that, as I complete these spells and patron info, I will post them to my blog and link here. Then, if anyone is talented in that area/feels so inclined, they can make the tables to post in the thread.
SoBH pbp:

Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ravenheart87 »

Raven_Crowking wrote:Okay, I give up. Formatting tables on a message board is a right pain in the arse. What I am thinking is that, as I complete these spells and patron info, I will post them to my blog and link here. Then, if anyone is talented in that area/feels so inclined, they can make the tables to post in the thread.
Or share them via Google Docs/Drive.
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

I am still working on this, although it has taken a bit of a back seat to other projects, especially artwork for Transylvanian Adventures (which is excellent in the previews I have seen, and will definitely be worth checking out!) and the Unusual Suspects patron book. If you liked any of the material in this thread, I think you will like the patron book as well!
SoBH pbp:

beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

I'd definitely be interested in playtesting your space station level 2 adventure when you get it done. It'd fit with my campaign world quite nicely, heh.
Blood Axe
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
FLGS: The Portal

Post by Blood Axe »

I saw that contributors will be helped to develop a Patron. Where will these fit in & how?

Im in for $50. :D
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Pesky
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Pesky »

Raven_Crowking wrote:I am still working on this, although it has taken a bit of a back seat to other projects, especially artwork for Transylvanian Adventures (which is excellent in the previews I have seen, and will definitely be worth checking out!) and the Unusual Suspects patron book. If you liked any of the material in this thread, I think you will like the patron book as well!
Hey RC, I know you are busy with Angels, Daemons and Beings Between, but I just thought I'd let you know there is still interest in your Shanthopal pantheon. Hopefully it doesn't fall asleep in the backseat :)
Terry Olson
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Pesky wrote:
Raven_Crowking wrote:I am still working on this, although it has taken a bit of a back seat to other projects, especially artwork for Transylvanian Adventures (which is excellent in the previews I have seen, and will definitely be worth checking out!) and the Unusual Suspects patron book. If you liked any of the material in this thread, I think you will like the patron book as well!
Hey RC, I know you are busy with Angels, Daemons and Beings Between, but I just thought I'd let you know there is still interest in your Shanthopal pantheon. Hopefully it doesn't fall asleep in the backseat :)
I just have to finish other work first.

Shanthopal is going to be the seat of my home campaign. Right now, I am using other materials, but I intend to draw disparate parties across the planes to Shanthopal once the city is ready.
SoBH pbp:

cthulhudarren
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by cthulhudarren »

Wow,
I just found this thread. Awesome work! I look forward in particular to any Lovecraftian details.

I'd love to see Nyarlathotep and Nodens added to your pantheons! Nyarlathotep would also have a great hidden cult.

Any chance your work here could get published in something like Crawl! fanzine?
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

cthulhudarren wrote:Wow,
I just found this thread. Awesome work! I look forward in particular to any Lovecraftian details.

I'd love to see Nyarlathotep and Nodens added to your pantheons! Nyarlathotep would also have a great hidden cult.

Yeah, I'm really sorry that I've let this thread run fallow, but it is because of other work. I've got one module out with Purple Duck Games (Bone Hoard of the Dancing Horror), one approved and waiting for POD issues to be resolved (Through the Cotillion of Hours), and another one in the writing stage (Stars in Darkness). I've got the Angels, Daemons, and Beings Between project for Dragon Hoard Publishing (and The Revelation of Mulmo as a bonus module) that I'm working on. I've had artwork appear in Crawl! and my version of the Magic Wand spell. I've done some artwork for Transylvanian Adventures, and I've got a bit more to do for smathis. And on top of that, I've got a few projects that I can't talk about yet, but am very excited to be involved with.

Overall, it has been busy over the last few months.

If you like the work here, you should check out AD&BB when it becomes available later this year. Some samples of the patron write-ups have appeared on my blog at http://ravencrowking.blogspot.ca/ that you might enjoy. Bone Hoard and Mulmo are adventures that both include intentional homages to Lovecraft. Mulmo also includes what I hope you will think are cool homages to Margaret St. Clair and Poul Anderson.

I am thinking of trying to put Shanthopal/The Ancient Earth together as a setting book sometime next year, if the pace doesn't kill me.

RC
SoBH pbp:

cthulhudarren
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by cthulhudarren »

Raven_Crowking wrote:
cthulhudarren wrote:Wow,

Yeah, I'm really sorry that I've let this thread run fallow, but it is because of other work. I've got one module out with Purple Duck Games (Bone Hoard of the Dancing Horror), one approved and waiting for POD issues to be resolved (Through the Cotillion of Hours), and another one in the writing stage (Stars in Darkness). I've got the Angels, Daemons, and Beings Between project for Dragon Hoard Publishing (and The Revelation of Mulmo as a bonus module) that I'm working on. I've had artwork appear in Crawl! and my version of the Magic Wand spell. I've done some artwork for Transylvanian Adventures, and I've got a bit more to do for smathis. And on top of that, I've got a few projects that I can't talk about yet, but am very excited to be involved with.

Overall, it has been busy over the last few months.

If you like the work here, you should check out AD&BB when it becomes available later this year. Some samples of the patron write-ups have appeared on my blog at http://ravencrowking.blogspot.ca/ that you might enjoy. Bone Hoard and Mulmo are adventures that both include intentional homages to Lovecraft. Mulmo also includes what I hope you will think are cool homages to Margaret St. Clair and Poul Anderson.

I am thinking of trying to put Shanthopal/The Ancient Earth together as a setting book sometime next year, if the pace doesn't kill me.

RC

Dude, you are full of win. But too busy! I'd love to see the entire setting, with the full gods/patrons and the city laid out in some detail, all in one place. Publish it!

Question: Are the gods of the north Norse? I haven't been able to figure out that angle yet. There are Asian, Egyptian, Greek, and cults/Lovecraftian, but what about the north?
cthulhudarren
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by cthulhudarren »

Raven_Crowking wrote: I've got the Angels, Daemons, and Beings Between project for Dragon Hoard Publishing (and The Revelation of Mulmo as a bonus module) that I'm working on.
RC
I'm sorry that I missed out on this project. I'll have to pick it up once it comes out.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

cthulhudarren wrote:Dude, you are full of win. But too busy! I'd love to see the entire setting, with the full gods/patrons and the city laid out in some detail, all in one place. Publish it!
Not too busy! :D

I feel very lucky to have been asked to do so much for this game, and I find DCC a hell of a lot easier to write for than other games I have worked on. I have two 3.5 adventures published in Dragon Roots Magazine, and one of the projects I am working on is re-writing them for DCC. But that has become a sort of back-burner project at the moment, because I have some deadlines upcoming that I need to meet.
Question: Are the gods of the north Norse? I haven't been able to figure out that angle yet. There are Asian, Egyptian, Greek, and cults/Lovecraftian, but what about the north?
The Norse pantheon makes some appearance in the gods list, as do some Celtic gods, but they are not always easy to recognize as I combined gods and changed names.

As far as AD&BB goes (and this forum could use a multiquote feature!), you really should check it out when it becomes available. The bonus modules weren't listed as "exclusive", so I am imagining that you could get Mulmo separately. I am assuming that you've already snagged The People of the Pit (Joseph Goodman) from Goodman Games? You should also consider The Ooze Pits of Jonas Gralk from Purple Sorcerer, which, if not Lovecraft-inspired enough for you as written can certainly be run with more HPL flavour by reskinning some of the wilderness encounters. I'd be happy to talk about these modules on PM so as to avoid spoilers, if you like.

Daniel
SoBH pbp:

cthulhudarren
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by cthulhudarren »

Not everything has to be Lovecraftian for me to dig it. I look forward to Gods & Powers of Shanthopal, I hope there is some geography in there too.
Pesky
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Pesky »

Raven_Crowking wrote: If you like the work here, you should check out AD&BB when it becomes available later this year. Some samples of the patron write-ups have appeared on my blog at http://ravencrowking.blogspot.ca/ that you might enjoy...
I am thinking of trying to put Shanthopal/The Ancient Earth together as a setting book sometime next year, if the pace doesn't kill me
Hey RC, I'm *really* looking forward to AD&BB, so I'm glad to hear that it is getting plenty of attention :). With that being said, I think the lack of patron-level detail for Clerics' Deities is a weak-spot in the DCC canon. Your entries for Shanthopal are in a great format to help fill this gap (hopefully along DCC annuals, 3pp, etc.) and I'm looking forward to seeing more in order to complement my not-so-great home-grown attempts at similar work. Just so you know there is still interest...
Terry Olson

Return to “DCC RPG General”